AR vs AK

This is a discussion on AR vs AK within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by obxned I'll grab my AK-74. AK reliable and near AR accuracy with the ability to carry as many rounds of 5.45x39 as ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: AR vs AK

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    I'll grab my AK-74. AK reliable and near AR accuracy with the ability to carry as many rounds of 5.45x39 as I can of 5.56.

I agree with you 100%
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I agree with you 100%
    I am an AR man at heart, but I will say I have had failures from several ARs, and never, not one, from an AK. AK's are more dependable, no question there, but I still like the ARs better.

I have a couple of each, takes the decision out of it
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Comfort and ability in handling and operation would be more important than caliber and other considerations IMO.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Devone6 View Post
    I am an AR man at heart, but I will say I have had failures from several ARs, and never, not one, from an AK. AK's are more dependable, no question there, but I still like the ARs better.

I have a couple of each, takes the decision out of it
    I have never seen any failures of ARs in the field of or from my personally owned RRA LAR-15. But I have seen some malfunctions from a rental AR-15 Sporter at the indoor range (didn't own an AR until 2009 because of the Crime Bill then) as a result of it being used often and getting dirty.

Administrator
    If you go for advanced rifle training these days & you take a Galil and not an AR - You'll initially get looked at like you're Nancy Pelosi wearing a George Bush ~ Miss Me Yet??? T-Shirt at a Tea Party Gathering.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Well, either would be OK with me, but I have an AR15, and don't care to add another system. The first time around for toting a patrol carbine at work, I bought a Colt AR15A2 Govt Carbine, in 2002, and it worked fine, 100%, including times I let it get abjectly filthy to test its ability to handle the dirt. (I did keep it lubed.) For reasons too long to get into here, I sold it to a fellow officer a few years ago, and went without a patrol rifle until now. I am about to re-certify and re-qual with the only rifle I can currently carry at work, an AR. This time around, it is a BCM lightweight middy upper on an S&W M&P15 lower.

I am expected to use only approved weapons for off-the-clock encounters, too.

My training thus far is with the AR platform.

I also know that some LEOs still do see the AK as a bad guy's weapon. Most of the Vietnam vets are now retired from LE service, but not all, and a new generation of LEOs has been recruited from among folks who encountered AKs in the Mideast and South Asia. Conversely, the AR15 IS the American LEO patrol rifle, the good guy's rifle. (Yes, I know there are a few exceptions.) If I suddenly pop into the view of an LEO, during an tense, stressful incident, I want every possible factor in my favor to prevent blue-on-blue fratricide. To be clear, I am not saying that a terrorist can use an AR with impunity, because LEOs will assume he is a good guy, nor that I, or any LEO, will automatically shoot someone with an AK. Life is not THAT simple! Nevertheless, a good first impression is never a bad thing.

Edited to add: I reckon a Galil or Valmet might not be seen as negatively as the more com-bloc-ish AKs.

Cool

All my training has been with the AR platform and I really love it. The AK is an excellent weapon and built like a tank and the 7.62X39 is a great bush busting round compaired to the 5.56 but I like the precision of the AR. I shoot 75 grain Hornady TAP for serious work and with the 3X9 Burris scope it will shoot better than I can hold. With the Burris Red Dot it is fast on target inside 100 yards. I have been training with the scope to keep both eyes open for fast work up close and it is amazing how you can put the crosshairs on target with speed and accuracy even when the target is inside ten yards. So if the feces hits the over head oscillator this is what I am going with.

P28091423.jpg Stag #1
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    For those with what they feel is an insufficient supply of ammo, the probability of scrounging ammo favors the 5.56.
    Thats the way it looks to me in my neighborhood.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

AR 15 due to my training , Ammo availability , and years of having a 16 in some crappy conditions always got me there and back.
    "If you want peace, prepare for war." Si vis pacem, para bellum.
    NRA Member - GRNC Member
    Old Paratroopers never die , we just regroup!!
    82nd ABN DIV.. GOD Bless our Troops!!
    Foward Observer 3/505thPIR - A/319thAFAR
    87-91 "Just Cause - Desert Sheild/Storm"

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

If I'm hunkered or mounted, I'll take an AK. If I'm on foot, I'll take an AR.

I got the AK, just because it was more economical for me.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I own both, a Bushmaster AR and Romy GP WASR 10/63- for close quarter battle i would use the AK and for 100 yards or more i would use the AR. in a SHTF i wold carry the AK and sling my Bushmaster over my back. I wouldnt complain having two of the deadliest rifles in the world wiht em at the same time!
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Without entering the viability of scrounged ammunition into the equation, the AK looks like the best bet to me with its reliability reputation and the superiority of the 7.26X39 cartridge for most applications. I have owned and used an AR 15 for many years yet have never really warmed up to the round or the design. Never had an AK but do admire it.

Used to think the AR 15 had it all over the AK for long range accuracy until I shot an AK my brother-in-law recently acquired. This one still gave pin-point accuracy out to 325 yards and was really gratifying to shoot. Though I have never experienced that sort of accuracy from an AK before, it is possible with the right rifle.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

RKM
    The accuracy thing with AK's is a myth. I'll admit, I'm more accurate with my AR, but the AK by far isn't inaccurate. Though, comparing the rounds themselves, I don't know, it's a toss up. They both do damage in different ways. The 7.62x39 is way more intimidating looking, but as far as effectiveness, I'll say they're equal. I don't have any first hand experience with shooting at living targets, but just from my own research I've done, I don't think either round superior to the other.

The weapon it's self, the AR, IMO is superior and more natural. Mag changes or reloads all together are faster and easier. Don't care who you are or how good you at at "tactical" AK mag changes, AR are just easier. Far more comfortable. Easier to stay on target, easy as hell to field strip and clean (AK's are fairly easy as well). But.... I'd prefer my AR if ever in an end of the world, zombie invasion. I'll toss my AK to a friend if they're unarmed, though most of them wouldn't be. I love the AK platform, I just prefer the AR platform.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links