AR vs AK

This is a discussion on AR vs AK within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In a shtf situation, would you rather have an AK-47 or a varient of or an AR-15. Personally, I want the AK, just because it ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: AR vs AK

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

AR vs AK

In a shtf situation, would you rather have an AK-47 or a varient of or an AR-15. Personally, I want the AK, just because it is not as dependant on oiling or cleaning+ it is a bigger round that i think is more dependable and availible to pick up off an enemy
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

I'll stick with an AR. Really it does not take much to keep a modern one going on the battle field. A couple of drops of CLP and run the boresnake, and you are good. My A4 might not of always looked like much, but it did the job for me just fine.

Plus I am intimately familiar with the controls of the M-16 family, I know the AK series very well too, but have a lot more training on the M-16's.

I love the AK too, but from what I have seen overseas, the M-16 usually does a better job, but, it depends a lot more on who is attached to the trigger finger, than what is in their hands.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have an AK because I want a simple low part count rifle able to withstand my misuse and lack of knowledge of AR's and the like. They ammo is cheap too. A simple and cheap platform. My AK can probably out-shoot me too.

availible to pick up off an enemy
    Hmmmmmm.............There'll probably be more .223 and .243 and 5.56 around here than anything else...........unless we get invaded........
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Why not one of each? That's what I did...

I have just switched from a M4 style carbine to an AK 47, after 40+ years using an AR-15 type weapon, any precived self defense use would be under 200 yards Max . I live/travel in a rural area with a lot of mesquite trees and bushes, arroyos ETC

SO>>>> 5.56 vs 7.62X39
    124 Gr Soft Point vs 55 Grain FMJ
    An occasional malfunction with the AR style weapon
    3000 rds with my AK no jams
    AR-15 more accurate out to 500 yards
    AK accurate to MOM ( minute of man) out to 300 yards

1000 rds through my AK without cleaning as a test, no failures
    Wouldn't/didn't try it with an AR

Natural disaster: My HDG would be the AK and my Glock. Both will run on Minimum maintence. I shoot IDPA, lube my Glock with Mobil One and clean it about every 300-400 rounds. Not lazy it just doen't need it more then that.

Both rifles rode many miles in the back of my jeep. both got covered with fine road dust/dirt. Neither cased in case of immediate need ( didn't happen )

Two of the failures of the AR was after a road, ghost town hunting, prospecting, metal detecting trip.* I cleaned the AR which then worked.

* The AR was clean before the road trip.

I was/am sometimes within 200 yards of our southern border, sometime over 50 miles from the border.

With me being retired and my friends are still working I spend sometime out by myself . I have developed a confidence in the AK that wasn't there with the AR.

My only hostile use of the AR was in the late 60's.

RKM
    I have both and I'd use what's available. But, I think the AR15 in general is a superior weapon. AK's need cleaned too. Modern AR's aren't the jam-o-matics people think they are and AK's aren't the indestructible tanks people think they are. Not to say AR's don't jam and AK's aren't durable, I just think the perceptions get blown out of proportion. I have both. My AR's had 1000 failure free rounds thus far, and I don't really baby it. My AK, I've only had for a week so I can't speak for it yet, but it's been good so far :) But I'm still going to clean it........ even though it's an AK, haha.

I believe that either will get the job done, given even reasonable care. The key to the best performance from either one is ammo.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Both will work, but unless we are invaded by an Eastern Bloc country the AR will be more prevelant in my opinion.

I can raid the trunk of any LEO vehicle and come up with .223/5.56 ammo if it comes to that. Resupply should always be a consideration, and I find more 5.56 available than 7.62, but that's just me. If I was in China, or other eastern country, then I'd be looking for an AK. Unlike Mr. Beans, I have not had the malfunction issues he has expirienced when tromping through the desert, but that's just me.

I was never a fan of the AR until recent, much preferring the AK platform. When I finally started giving them a fair shake I came to the conclusion that they are pretty darn good, but do have their peculiarities. Once you get past that, it's all good.

Biker
    garyacman likes this.

For those with what they feel is an insufficient supply of ammo, the probability of scrounging ammo favors the 5.56.

I like the AR's because they're slightly more versatile. Not only do they shoot .223/5.56, but you can pick up a .22 conversion kit and now you have a second caliber for it.

Lot's of .22lr out there.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Moderator
    First - it's the musician, not the instrument.

Second, I'd suggest the AR platform for it's versatility. If the stuff hits the fan, you can put a .22 conversion kit in the AR and hunt small game with it - and you're likely to do far more of that than shooting at two legged predators.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I'd say AR. Have not had the pleasure to shoot an AK but I've put a good amount of ammo down range from AR style weapons.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Plenty of 5.56 ammo lying around in the event of some catastrophe here. You can't say the same for the AK. Same thing with extra parts; I'm sure there would be a lot of AR-type weapons to be found but not so many AK-type weapons. For that reason alone, and because I think AR's unreliability is overblown while the AK isn't the invincible tank it's made out to be. I do have an AK, and (just like my AR) it's never failed me, but I would still have to give the nod to the AR overall.

Personally, I'd go with an AR, but I wouldn't feel undergunned with an AK either. As long as either one is built to spec, and has good mags, rock on.

I think choices will primarily be based on ergonomic, functional and caliber preferences. I don't see ammo and spare parts being an issue. The reason is that anyone possessing either one for serious problems would/should have stocked those items.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links