Remington 7600 Pump rifles - Feedback please

This is a discussion on Remington 7600 Pump rifles - Feedback please within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been thinking about getting a .30-something rifle for quite some time. I already have a Remington 870 pump shotgun, which would be my go-to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Remington 7600 Pump rifles - Feedback please

Question Remington 7600 Pump rifles - Feedback please

I've been thinking about getting a .30-something rifle for quite some time.

I already have a Remington 870 pump shotgun, which would be my go-to long gun for the vast majority of realistic defensive scenarios that I can envision.

For situations where I might need more distance, or more accuracy, or more firepower (ammo capacity), I have a newer Mini 14 Ranch Rifle with a 3-9 x scope and a few high-cap mags.

The .30 rifle would be for even longer range, or situations where more penetration is needed, and perhaps survival hunting. I do not consider any of those scenarios to be very likely, and thus I do not want to spend a whole bunch of money on the rifle.

The leading contender right now is the Remington 7600 pump rifle, since the action is virtually the same as my shotgun. It holds 4+1 of either .30-06 or .308 (I'm leaning toward .30-06). I think aftermarket 10-round mags are available, but not sure how good they are. Best thing is that they are in the low $500 price range, brand new.

Any feedback from those who have used this rifle would be appreciated, as would any suggestions for something else I could consider. Since the .30-30 and the 7.62 x 39 are limited to about the same effective range as the 5.56 I already have, I'm leaning more to something in .30-06 or .308. Thanks!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    I had the older Remington 760 in 30.06 and it was a very good rifle. Very accurate and recoil wasn't too bad. Not sure what changes if any Remington made from the 760 to the 7600,
    but the 7600 should serve you very well.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

Senior Moderator
    Good solid rifles. I had one in '06 years ago and I eventually sold it for a 7400, the semi auto version.

I'd go with the .308 over the '06. The .308 will do everything it will do and the ammo seems to be more available. Either caliber is a good one though.
    The guns come in several different versions. Mine was beautiful, pretty wood and a good finish. I have a .270 that is just a plain gun, not as pretty as the '06 that I have and they come with synthetic stocks and forearms too. They are plenty accurate but they really need a scope mounted on them to realize their capabilitys as that front bead is pretty big.

I'm fond of my '06 as it has accounted for lots of deer,several coyotes and other things.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Pros and cons.

Pros.

Not too pricey
    fast follow ups
    magazine fed for faster reloads
    works like an 870
    carries well
    hits hard

Cons

Triggers are long and creepy like a DAO pistol
    receiver is thin walled so they start to string after about 4 or 5 rounds
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Administrator
    I agree with everything that has been said so far. Used as designed, they are solid hunting choices. I would not buy one if my intent was high volume shooting. I have a good buddy who deer hunts with one, and has been since we were young teenagers. Granted, the rifle sees maybe ten shots a year, but it has served him very well.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sixto - Is the issue with "high volume shooting" the limited mag capacity, or the stringing of shots that atctimmy mentioned? While I would probably mount a scope, zero it, and then rarely fire it (not too many places around me where I can shoot a rifle at distance), it would potentially need to fire off a goodly number of rounds if the zombies come a-calling.

There are some bolt-action "package rifles" available at a decent price, that come with a scope. I'm sure they are not great quality, but they might be an option and should get the job done. The pump would be faster at close range though. Hmmm...
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Oops, I wanted to add that I had a 7600 in 30-06 for about 20 years and was pleased with it. It was quite accurate as long as you didn't heat it up (the stringing thing). The trigger, while creepy, seemed to make me shoot better. I know this is counterintuitive but it's true. It seemed to me that as I pulled on the long smooth trigger I had time to really concentrate on my sight picture and when the gun went bang it surprised me every time. Sometimes now that I have a better trigger I find myself wanting to rush the break and I'll pull a shot every now and then. YMMV.

Remington makes a patrol version of the 7600 with higher cap mags.
    ClintTo likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a

Quote Originally Posted by mavrik46 View Post
    I had the older Remington 760 in 30.06 and it was a very good rifle. Very accurate and recoil wasn't too bad. Not sure what changes if any Remington made from the 760 to the 7600,
    but the 7600 should serve you very well.
    I also have the older version Remington 760 in 30.06 that I bought back in 1980. I have killed many deer with this gun and it is in great condition because it has been kept in a case and brought out to be wiped down with gun oil and Lemon pledge on the Monte Carlo stock once a year. I quit deer hunting probably 10-15 years ago so it does not get any use at all but I surely do not want to sell it as it has much sentimental value for me at least. I think the Remington 760 is a very well made gun and for me I have taken deer out to 300yds. Most all of the shots have been one shot stops using Federal 165 grain boat-tail cartridges. Remington 7600 should be just a better or upgraded version of the model 760 which is excellent in my opinion.
    Last edited by Bigpoppa48; December 23rd, 2010 at 02:13 PM.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Ditto on the .30-06 with 165 grn boatails, best load I ever came up with. The one advantage of .30-06 over .308 is the -06 can handle a heavier bullet, up to 220 grains where the .308 can't without reducing the powder load.

If you're comfy with a pump shotgun, the 7600 should feel right at home. Creepy triggers can always be fixed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Remington makes a patrol version of the 7600 with higher cap mags.
    I searched around, and I could not find one with high-cap mags. They do seem to have a "Patrol" version, with ghost ring sights, in .308...but still has a 4 round mag.

If you have a link or info, I would appreciate it!
    CT Lasers

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Sixto - Is the issue with "high volume shooting" the limited mag capacity, or the stringing of shots that atctimmy mentioned?
    Nah, mag capacity has nothing to do with it, I was refering to what timmy mentioned. This is a well known "flaw" in the design. I use the term flaw lightly, as this was desined as a hunting rifle, not a gun you would shoot a ton.
    "Just blame Sixto"

OK, thanks for the feedback everyone. I think this is still my leading contender. I'm going to keep my eye out for a used one. Another possibility is a used Browning BLR lever rifle, though that would likely be more costly.

How severe is the stringing issue? Would you still get minute-of-felon, or are you going to miss completely at, say, 300 yards?

I'd love a G3, FAL or M1A, but I just cannot justify the expense when the likelihood of "needing" it is so low.

Any suggestion on .30-06 vs .308? I'm thinking .30-06 gives you more variety of ammo, but .308 is a standard NATO caliber, and might be more available in a SHTF scenario. My understanding is that ballistics are very similar, with perhaps a slight edge to the .30-06. I imagine any bullet in these calibers is going to be very effective, but I'd also appreciate suggestions on defensive loads - FMJ for barriers, and perhaps a JSP or JHP for "zombies" and less risk of over-penetration?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by 10thmtn; December 24th, 2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: more info
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    OK, thanks for the feedback everyone. I think this is still my leading contender. I'm going to keep my eye out for a used one. Another possibility is a used Browning BLR lever rifle, though that would likely be more costly.

How severe is the stringing issue? Would you still get minute-of-felon, or are you going to miss completely at, say, 300 yards?

I'd love a G3, FAL or M1A, but I just cannot justify the expense when the likelihood of "needing" it is so low.

Any suggestion on .30-06 vs .308? I'm thinking .30-06 gives you more variety of ammo, but .308 is a standard NATO caliber, and might be more available in a SHTF scenario. My understanding is that ballistics are very similar, with perhaps a slight edge to the .30-06. I imagine any bullet in these calibers is going to be very effective, but I'd also appreciate suggestions on defensive loads - FMJ for barriers, and perhaps a JSP or JHP for "zombies" and less risk of over-penetration?

Thanks again!
    Even with the stringing the gun will be more accurate than and AK. With cold iron I would shoot 1 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yds. Once it would heat up it would shoot 5-ish inch groups at 100yds. That's still plenty of accuracy for minute of bad guy at 100yds. When it is hot 300+ yard groups would be pretty big but you need to remember that a 300+ yard gunfight will have a different dynamic that a 50 yarder. At 300 yards you will either hit them with your first couple shots or they will have found cover.
    Mark Twain:

A couple of random comments:

If you're an experienced pump shotguner, especially with an 870, the 760/7600 will be second nature to you. The safety and slide release are in the same locations.

You will more likely have faster follow-up shots with the pump rifle than the lever action. I know they're out there somewhere, but the lever gunners (talking centerfire here) who can reload without dismounting the gun from the shoulder to work the lever seem to keep themselves confined to the Internet.

Along the same lines, the .308 cartridge is about a half an inch shorter than the .30-06, and the case alone is about 3/8" shorter. I don't know if this results in a shorter pump stroke in the 760 (which would mean a faster follow-up shot), but it might.

For hunting purposes, the .308 serves nearly every purpose the '06 does out to 250 yards or so, unless you're a devoted handloader. The 0.090" longer case neck of the '06 gives the handloader more options with bullet weights, but for those of us who don't reload (or don't yet) this is only an advantage on paper. For my money, at this very moment I'd go for the .308 and not look back.

Can't really speak to ammo availability in the SHTF situation, but disabuse yourself of the notion that a .30 cal full-size rifle round (i.e, not the .30 Carbine) won't "over penetrate." Maybe this is just an Eastern phenomenon, but I've never seen a deer that wasn't penetrated through-and-through by anything from .243 up to and including .45-70. Bears and moose might be tougher, but... humans sure aren't. FWIW, my stash of '06 ammo is about 75% hunting stuff, and the rest is ball (for that rare CMP match). The most accurate stuff I shoot in my Ruger M77 is the Win Ballistic Silvertip, and at $1.50+ a round my supply of that round is limited, but if I had to take a money shot at 300 yards that's what I'd use.

I think I understand your thought process, but recognize that the 760/7600 is first and foremost a sporting arm designed for the hunter who's taking maybe a couple of dozen shots a year. It simply isn't built to minimize the effects of sustained fire, like a good AR15 or a Garand is, and barrel heating will change your point of impact. Just how much depends on a host of variables.

Lastly, don't forget that some highly motivated Russians successfully defended Stalingrad against a superior and better-equipped force with mostly crude WWI Mosin-Nagants (no flames, please - I own two of 'em!)... the value of that fast second shot is sometimes over-rated. Just food for thought!

Let us know what you decide.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Great points, thanks for the "sanity check."

I found some good info here, you can scroll to recommended rifle ammo...seems the lighter weight (110 gr) .308 loads would limit over-penetration risk, while the 155 gr loads are the best from a terminal effect standpoint.

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De...E%20AMMUNITION

I'm going to hunt around (ha ha) for a used 7600...I like the commonality with my shotgun, and the faster follow-up shots for close range work. At longer ranges, you have more time, so I don't think the stringing will be an issue. In the face of incoming rifle fire, I think most folks at distance will prefer to try a softer target.

I don't handload, and do not anticipate doing so, so I guess the .308 is the better option...but it will depend on what I can find. Certainly, if I find a used .30-06 in good shape, I will likely get it.

Merry Christmas - you guys rock!
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links