Carbine Question

This is a discussion on Carbine Question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm thinking about getting a Hi-Point 9mm carbine. I don't have an outdoor range near me, so if I go with a traditional AR or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbine Question

Carbine Question

I'm thinking about getting a Hi-Point 9mm carbine. I don't have an outdoor range near me, so if I go with a traditional AR or AK I don't think I will ever shoot it.

With the Hi-Point, I can use it at the indoor range near me.

Does anyone know anything about these carbines or other options that are available.

2. Remove Ads

Hi-Point, Beretta and Kel-Tec all make pistol caliber carbines. Some research befor buying would probably be useful. They are what I would consider a niche weapon, but many like them. I have an older, out of manufacture model, by a different maker, that I am happy with.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Granted it may be a bit more expensive but have you taken a look at the Beretta CX-4 Storm carbine? If you have a Beretta pistol you may be able to match it up so that the same magazines can be used in either one. I have my Storm carbine set up for 92 magazines so it will match up with one of my pistols. As for accessories you can put almost anything on it that makes sense due to the various rails that you can get for the Storm.

I kind of remember when these carbines were a hit on the market. I think you should still be able to find a dedicated 9mm AR-15. May go over your budget, but I've always wanted one myself. If you really want an AR or AK, look into public ranges available. In my mind....nobody in the states should be reconciled to shooting at indoor ranges alone. Granted, this may come with the territory, but my wife and I will budget for and travel 120 miles round trip in order to shoot on an open range vs the indoor range. Indoor ranges do have their limitations. You...my friend need to start thinking outside the box. Get what you really want and find some place to shoot it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Granted it may be a bit more expensive but have you taken a look at the Beretta CX-4 Storm carbine?
    I've shot the CX-4 at the range. Quite the carbine I'd never given much thought to. Range day, and interactions with fellow club members! Very nice IMO. Worth a look.

I have a High Point 995ts. They can be had for $300 and sometimes under. You will find it to be very accurate, and a lot of fun. The best part is if anything ever breaks on a high point and you send it to the factory they will Fix or Replace with NO questions asked. You dont even have to be the origional purchaser. Find another company that will do that... Almost all firearms have warranties, but high point stands behind their product 100% This carbine scores very high on the fun factor, as long as it is the ts. The earlier model was a little flimsy.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I have an older, out of manufacture model, by a different maker, that I am happy with.
    Ruger?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

No. I find mine, while a little heavy, to be a good shooter. In the configuration I have it I can carry it most anywhere without causing curiosity or concern and it can be deployed in less than 15 seconds.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    If you do a search you will find many post about the 995 and other pistol caliber carbines like the Kel Tec Sub 2000 and Marlin Camp 9.

I have posted many times with info on these carbines which I own. Lots of info you are seeking here.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...nt-9mm-Carbine

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...t=#post1719934

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I kind of remember when these carbines were a hit on the market. I think you should still be able to find a dedicated 9mm AR-15. May go over your budget, but I've always wanted one myself. If you really want an AR or AK, look into public ranges available. In my mind....nobody in the states should be reconciled to shooting at indoor ranges alone. Granted, this may come with the territory, but my wife and I will budget for and travel 120 miles round trip in order to shoot on an open range vs the indoor range. Indoor ranges do have their limitations. You...my friend need to start thinking outside the box. Get what you really want and find some place to shoot it!

I've shot the CX-4 at the range. Quite the carbine I'd never given much thought to. Range day, and interactions with fellow club members! Very nice IMO. Worth a look.

The nearest public range is about 90 miles. I have gone out there a couple of times and I've enjoyed it. The indoor range is only about 15 miles away, so it is more convenient.

I'm not settling for a 9mm carbine, I've been debating the AR or AK issue for a while and I don't want to spend the money on a gun and then only shoot it periodically. I would rather go with a gun that I will be able to shoot more often. I've looked at the AR-15 in 9mm and I'm still researching them.

I will look into the Beretta, I hadn't heard of that one before.

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    If you do a search you will find many post about the 995 and other pistol caliber carbines like the Kel Tec Sub 2000 and Marlin Camp 9.

I have posted many times with info on these carbines which I own. Lots of info you are seeking here.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...nt-9mm-Carbine

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...t=#post1719934
    Thanks for the links Pirate, I will check them out.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I'd buy a Keltec Sub 2000 if I was to buy a PCC. I like the portability, the ability to take Glock mags, and the cheap and popular 9mm.

You might also look into Ruger PC9 and PC40 carbines in 9mm and 40 S+W, respectively. These show up periodically as police trade-ins, and even sometimes as new old stock. Capable, lightweight carbines which are more rugged than the Marlin Camp series.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglefrq View Post
    Thanks for the links Pirate, I will check them out.
    10/4 and merry Christmas to you.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    @ Gaunts: You Sir, are my hero!
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Thanks, buddy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links