AK problems

AK problems

This is a discussion on AK problems within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; On my AK, I can pull the charging handle back, let it slam forward and chamber a round. However once it is chambered, there is ...

Thread: AK problems

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

AK problems

On my AK, I can pull the charging handle back, let it slam forward and chamber a round. However once it is chambered, there is still a small gap about 1/4 of an inch between the edge of the chamber and the bolt, is this normal or is it something I need to address?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    Chris can you take a pic? Has it always been like this and have you fired it like this?

Let me know.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

RKM
    Does the round then eject? Does it fire like this?

My AK won't feed snap caps because the extractor never picks up the rim and slam shut leaving about a 1/4" gap. Pulling the bolt back, the round won't eject because the extractor never grabs the rim. With real ammo it doesn't do this. The snap caps rim have an odd shape.

Chris,
    A couple questions. Are you talking about the bolt face being 1/4" from the chamber face or the charging handle being 1/4" from the bolt stop on the sight tower? There is a difference. The charging handle is on the bolt carrier, not the bolt. The charging handle on the bolt carrier can be 1/4" from its stop and the bolt is already fully locked into its locking lugs.

Perform the following WITHOUT ammo in the weapon.

If it is the charging handle not going forward against the carrier stop I would remove the bolt carrier and bolt and check for an obstruction or roughness perventing the bolt carrier from going forward the last 1/4" on the bolt. Then I would check for obstruction/roughness between the bolt carrier and the frame rails preventing the carrier from going forward the last 1/4"

If it is the actual bolt face stopping 1/4" from the chamber face this is a Big Problem and a dangerous condition. Do not fire the weapon in this condition. In this case also pull the bolt carrier and the bolt and check for obstruction/roughness preventing the bolt rotating into a locked position while withn the carrier. Then remove the bolt from the carrier and see if the locking lugs on the bolt will lock up in the chamber or if there is obstructin/roughness preventing the bolt from locking up to the chamber. If this is all good then I would look for extractor problems.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Links