Beta C mags

Beta C mags

This is a discussion on Beta C mags within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anybody actually have or have used a Beta C mag. They seem to be a very expensive way to carry 100rds. It would seem ...

Thread: Beta C mags

Beta C mags

Does anybody actually have or have used a Beta C mag. They seem to be a very expensive way to carry 100rds. It would seem that buying 3 to 4 30rd mags would be a more economical way to go.

Thumbs down

Bottom Line: Good idea; poorly executed.

The Army has issued a Ground Precautionary Message ragarding the C-Mag. There were stories circulating a few years ago about some 82nd Airborne Division Soldiers who were killed in Afghanistan because of malfunctions induced by the C-Mag, but I believe them to be rumor.

I have used the C-Mag and found it cumbersome and unreliable under field conditions. There are attendant logistical issues involved with using the C-mag as well.

If your looking for something to attract attention at the range, the C-mag may be the way to go. If you are considering it for serious use, stick with magazines. I have a C-mag that you are more than welcome to have, but I believe it is configured for an M-249 machinegun.

No, I have never used any magazine larger than a 30 I prefer 20's. To me the added weight seems to defeat the intended purpose of the rifle. Which is a light weight fast handling carbine. And as you already pointed out you can by several 20 or 30 rounders for the price of one beta C.

RH

Lead Moderator
    Used a Beta mag before. Very heavy and akward.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Mine is a great range toy. I have yet to have an issue with the AR pistol or my rifle.

Sure, it's expensive. Sure, it's bulkier than a a couple 30 round mags.

But I look at it like the Thompson or AK drum - when you can't have one and want it and just want to have a fun afternoon at the range, what's $300 once?
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Yeah $300 plus 100 rounds of .223. They look like they would add alot of weight. The version made for the M14 or M1A weighs over 10 pounds loaded. That would make the rifle weigh nearly 20lbs. And these days everybody adds a quadrail, lights, and optics to their ARs. That would make the AR very cumbersome. But I'd still buy the Norinco 75rd drum for AKs, if I had an AK.

I shot in a regional 3 gun match this past weekend and there were 3 guys shooting that were from the Army Marksmanship Unit from Ft. Benning, GA. They used Beta C Mags in their rifles and I spoke with them about them. They said that they have never had any problems with them (and didn't for the 2 days at the match) but they are not approved for combat usage. They only use them for range use and matches. I'd love to have one, but just can't justify the $250 for one. Maybe one of these days...

Links