New Ruger Scout M77 bolt rifle in .308 - Page 2

New Ruger Scout M77 bolt rifle in .308

This is a discussion on New Ruger Scout M77 bolt rifle in .308 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; $809. That's a lot of money for tacticool. I just bought a Ruger for my oldest son last year for $450. It's cool, don't get ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Scout M77 bolt rifle in .308

VIP Member
    $809.
    That's a lot of money for tacticool. I just bought a Ruger for my oldest son last year for $450.

It's cool, don't get me wrong, but what does it do that any other bolt gun doesn't? Is a ten round mag really worth $350-$400 bucks?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    My only concern with this rifle, other than price, is the short 16 inch barrel - not sure that is really suited to longer distances.
    Conventional wisdom is that you give up about 100 ft/sec of muzzle velocity for each inch of barrel length you give up. For the .308, that's probably overstated, but look at the barrel lengths of the popular hunting rifles out there - typically 20-22 inches. So the 16" Ruger gives up probably at least 300 ft/sec in MV, which results in bigger bullet drop and more uncertainty at the target end.

On the other hand, a shorter barrel will be stiffer and less prone to vibration effects and zero shift due to heating. Plus, a bolt action will nearly always give the shooter better accuracy than pump/lever/autoloading guns.

Many things in life are a compromise... you might want to weigh your desire/need to hit targets accurately at > 300 yards against the portability of the rifle.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    ...Many things in life are a compromise... you might want to weigh your desire/need to hit targets accurately at > 300 yards against the portability of the rifle.
    I agree. I'll tend to be getting this for an "all around" gun or a SHTF gun. Short, light, compact yet in the .30 cal range. Something that won't drag your ass down if you are humping in the field for days during an evacuation, something to take medium to large, North American game at moderate range, and something to take two legged predators at moderate range. For me, 300 - 325 meters is about as far out as I'd go with this gun. The main thing is it's a gun I'll likely have with me.

For anything beyond 400 meters, I've got a FN Mauser in .30-06. And for rapid fire zombie attacks, I have the AR-15 and a FN FAL.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Hmmm...with a wife and 2 kids, I would probably defend in place rather than try and "bug out." If I did need to bug out, I would bring my Mini 14 for all the usual reasons - lighter weight ammo, can carry more of it, more capacity, rapid follow-up shots, and...my wife could shoot it. No way would she be able to handle a .308 bolt or pump rifle.

So, that leaves home/area defense. Can't really see more than 200 yards in my suburban area, so the only real use for a heavier caliber would be barrier penetration - lots of trees and such in my neighborhood. Maybe I am better off with the Remington 7600 pump rifle, or even a good lever rifle in .30-30.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=208861168

Same role, less money. Or get an SKS.
    Last edited by atctimmy; January 2nd, 2011 at 01:15 PM.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=208861168

Same role, less money. Or get an SKS.
    Yea, I've almost bought an SKS a few times. Question - can you store an SKS with the mag full, but chamber empty, with the bolt closed on the empty chamber? Can you top off the mag, or do you need to wait until it is completely empty before reloading?

I guess what I really could use, more than a long-range rifle, is one with better ability to penetrate brush and cover than the lighter 5.56. That would seem to lead to 7.62 x 39 or .30-30 as viable options. I'd want a scope, so maybe leaning more to .30-30 in a lever gun. Options...options...
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Yea, I've almost bought an SKS a few times. Question - can you store an SKS with the mag full, but chamber empty, with the bolt closed on the empty chamber? Can you top off the mag, or do you need to wait until it is completely empty before reloading?
    Yes you can store it with a full mag and bolt closed on an empty chamber and you can top it off at any time by hand or with stripper clips.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

Quote Originally Posted by HahnsXD View Post
    Yes you can store it with a full mag and bolt closed on an empty chamber and you can top it off at any time by hand or with stripper clips.
    Thanks. Given that the SKS is top-loaded, I'm thinking mounting a scope is easier on a lever rifle, though. Seems Marlin makes a 336 with a scope mounted and bore-sighted from the factory, and Cheaperthandirt lists it for just over $400.

link - http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/41649-55.html

I'm going to have to think on this...

Sorry for highjacking my own thread!
    Last edited by 10thmtn; January 2nd, 2011 at 07:25 PM. Reason: link
    CT Lasers

Mounting a scope on an SKS is a nuisance, and I'm not going to do it. I bought a synthetic stock kit a couple of years back and it came with a ChiCom scope and mount which would have been as loose as a goose. Nope, the SKS won't be getting glass anytime soon, although a Tech rear sight might be a possibility if I start shooting the gun more.

OTOH, the Marlin 336 easily lends itself to a scope or receiver sights. In the case of the latter, remove the screw-in aperture and you effectively have a ghost ring rear sight.

FWIW, when NYC effectively banned "assault weapons," I guy I know "disposed of" his AR and bought a short-barrel .30-30 lever gun. Called it his "urban assault" rifle. I thought that was a spectacular move... about the last gun that will be banned anywhere will be a lever-action .30-30. Five fast shots with significant "reach out and touch you" power.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Yup. And the Hornady LeveRevolution ammo seems to give the old .30-30 some decent performance even a bit beyond 300 yards. You just can't leave them in the tube mag for long periods of time or the plastic tips deform...no big deal, only takes a few seconds to load them in the mag tube.

The mag tube capacity does not bother me - easy to top off the mag tube from a butt-cuff cartridge holder. The Marlin holds 6 and I think the Mossberg holds 7.

For my needs and for the money, I'm starting to lean heavily this way...even used. Hmmm...

An even cheaper option would be slugs for my shotgun, but they're not as accurate and cannot reach out as far I suppose.
    CT Lasers

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what is the advantage of this carbine over the mini thirty?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    Forgive me for my ignorance, but what is the advantage of this carbine over the mini thirty?
    In the real world? Not a darn thing. It just looks cool and it will sell because it's cool.

Ok, I was under the impression .308 and 7.62x39 were equivalent cartridges, but just learned otherwise. I suppose the scout rifle in /308 would be more accurate (being bolt action) and have a longer range than the mini thirty,but the mini is semi-auto. I have to admit the scout rifle does look cool.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    What about any of the KelTec carbines? They are most affordable.

You can get a KelTec SUB 2000 carbine in .40 S&W that uses Glock 22 mags for only $430:

See:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=209570109

Even the KetTec SU-16 carbine in .223 Remington can be found for $500:

See:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=209130781

I already have a 5.56 - a Mini 14. While I was originally looking for a rifle with both greater ability to penetrate cover/brush (lots of trees around my neighborhood) and longer range, I realize that the longer range capability is not really needed where I am. So, that leaves me with needing something that can get through brush, and a .30-30 will do that. It's easier to mount a scope on one too, compared to a SKS or an AK.

A Mini 30 Ranch Rifle would fit the bill, but at a significantly higher cost. I'm not willing to sell the Mini 14, because I still like the ability to use 5.56/.223, since it is a NATO standard caliber and available everywhere. Plus, if we ever need to bug out, you can carry a lot more 5.56 than .30-whatever ammo...and the lower recoil means my wife could shoot it.

The pistol caliber carbines are interesting - but you can only shoot so many guns at once! I don't see what they will do that my shotgun won't - except perhaps be easier for my wife to use. As far as storage goes, I can remove the barrel from my shotgun in seconds, and have something almost as small as the Sub 2000.

The .308 M77 bolt carbine fits a niche for a powerful carbine that is light weight - but the short barrel leaves it best suited for shorter range use. So, the advantage over a much less expensive lever gun? Just the power of the cartridge, I guess.
    CT Lasers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links