Defensive Carry banner

Military Folder(?)

827 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  lprmcnit 
#1 ·
I've been looking seriously at a VZ-58 (has milled receiver, supposed to be very high quality, in 7.62x39, <$900 price( as opposed to Arsenal milled AK)) but not sure whether to go with a "military folder" or standard style. It seems like the "folder" would be easier to store or conceal, and more mobile prior to deployment..but are there some other things to consider? I'm planning on doing some tactical classes where a large number of rounds would be put down range, so I'm not sure if perceived recoil might be an issue. Also, not sure if there might be any issues making transitions from various carry positions to a shooting position. It also seems like the "folder" style" would have a weight advantage if it had to be carried for extended periods of time...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I'm planning on doing some tactical classes where a large number of rounds would be put down range, so I'm not sure if perceived recoil might be an issue.
Folding-stock carbines have their place, but I believe you would be disappointed with the gun in a serious training course. The problem with a lot of "folders" is that the locking feature isn't robust enough to remove lateral play between the receiver and the stock when unfolded. You pull back on the pistol grip to anchor the buttstock onto/into your shoulder pocket, but you're getting lateral wiggle not at the shoulder end but at the receiver where you're trying to achieve a decent sight picture. I've also seen the locking feature fail to keep the stock locked in the unfolded position, which could create some excitement for the shooter. But - that's a generalization, for sure. YMMV.

Recoil an issue? I've never shot the 7.62x39 in a lightweight gun so I can't say with certainty, although there's more recoil than with the 5.56 round. I don't think that would be a show-stopper for most dedicated shooters.

Also, not sure if there might be any issues making transitions from various carry positions to a shooting position.
Shouldn't be any - you won't be unfolding your stock during transitions. With the rarest of exceptions, you're going to fold that stock for storage and transport only, then unfold it to shoot the gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.