rifle/shotgun for defense ?

This is a discussion on rifle/shotgun for defense ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; please help,I can only afford 1 long gun, retired, AR15 or 870 20g,I live in apt. I have owed 2 ar15,never a shot gun,my eyes ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rifle/shotgun for defense ?

rifle/shotgun for defense ?

please help,I can only afford 1 long gun, retired, AR15 or 870 20g,I live in apt. I have owed 2 ar15,never a shot gun,my eyes are not like I was 25 any more,can you folks help complete my battery,I have sig 229 and kel-tec 380 as back up....
    O. D. A. T.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    OK, Facts:

1) You live in an appartment. Penetration is an issue, I'm sure your neighbors would not appreciate a .223 ball through the painting of flowers on the wall.
    2) Your sight is failing... A precision firearm is not called for, especailly when you most likely cannot get more than 30ft from an opposing wall.

Shot gun all day long IMHO
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

I have a few shotguns, rifles and a handgun. I also have a wife and 3 children. I was thinking about the same question and it led to me another question. If in a self-defense scenario, where is my family? If they are behind me, the shotgun as it's not going to miss the target (loaded with buck shot). If I don't know where my family is or if they are in-front of me possibly in the same room as the BG, then the rifle.

Seems like a no-brainer - SHOTGUN

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

A shotgun still needs to be aimed/pointed.

I vote for the obvious, which is the unstated Option #3:

You already have the best option for your specific living condition; Handgun!

There is no statement as to what caliber your 229 is chambered in.
    From there I would choose what ever is heavy for caliber (9mm, .40 or .357 Sig) AND if I were you in specific with notably poor eyesight...I would if I lived alone or had no children/roommates/live-ins with me I'd mount to the gun a unit that offers BOTH a weapon light AND a laser. You may not be able to see the front sight well but you will be able to see the beam and dot of a laser among that of a white light.
    If you do have children or others who live with you then I'd go with a durable dedicated use only handheld weapon light.

As to ammunition I'd select something that is either frangible (multiple _modern_ options are available as other than Glaser) or I'd select something that is reduced recoil and thus lowered pressure and energy.

I would not go shotgun unless your border walls are brick.
    To my mind running an AR is completely out of the question just by the report alone, even if you ran .40 gr. varmint hollow point rounds which have relatively low energy and tend to frgment on contact with most anything solid.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Given the two choices I would go shotgun because the .223 is going to make a mess of an apartment. That said, a shotgun will as well. I would go with what Janq said and work on your 229 to make it into a good HD weapon.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I'd say Shot Gun also with 18-20 inch barrel
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

The .223 will penetrate less than a viable SD load for a shotgun, and the AR will have a higher capacity with no extra effort to pump it or anything. Just charge and go. Overall I have to agree with Janq as well, the handgun is the best of any option. However, if you have to have a long gun I recommend the AR with something like Hornady TAP in 55 gr loaded in the mag.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    OK, Facts:

1) You live in an apartment. Penetration is an issue, I'm sure your neighbors would not appreciate a .223 ball through the painting of flowers on the wall.
    2) Your sight is failing... A precision firearm is not called for, especially when you most likely cannot get more than 30ft from an opposing wall.

Shot gun all day long IMHO
    My former Mossberg 500A 20ga was my go-to-weapon for a few years living in an apartment and HD. Good call for urban development IMO. Work your way up as you work your way out. A shotgun is still the most devastating device for defense under most circumstances. 20ga is more than adequate for your environment. The AR-15 will come when you decide to move from your current position.

I agree with Jang, relative to your particular situation. You did not specify how bad your eyesight is. I have nothing against the lasser and would also suggest an additional option. At typical apartment distances, if you can see the gun (not the sights) and you can see the invader, you can make effective hits. A little research/reading, if instruction is out of the question financially, on threat focused/point/instinct shooting combined with some range practice will illustrate how effective this can be.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

In kind, agreed with Guantes. ^^

Conventional sights and 'sight picture' are just that, conventional. There are other very functional options as related to how to handle the gun, in hand.
    Investing in yourself toward _advanced_ handgun combat technique might prove to be fruitful beyond conventional imagination, and understanding.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Administrator
    I'm going with team Jang/Guantes.

Plus .40 holes in wall board are easier to patch than any shotgun load.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    A pistol is fine. If you feel you must have a long gun then I'd suggest a coach gun. I think birdshot is for the birds but in a small apartment it may work for you. YMMV

IIRC correctly they make rubber buck shot as well. It can be fatal up close but doesn't penetrate like lead. I have no real world experience with it though. It's just an idea.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I say buy an 18.5" barrel pump shotgun and load it with "00" Buckshot. Since you live in an apartment building, it is too dangerous to shoot a .223 cartridge due to over penetration and an AR-15 will require more precision shooting than a shotgun (you have an eyesight issue), so it is best you stick with a shotgun for self-defense. If you are tight on cash, take a look at the Mossberg 500 or at Maverick shotguns (made by Mossberg) but ff you want quality, then look no further than the Remington 870, Mossberg 590A1, Winchester 1300 or a Benelli Nova.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links