Stoeger Coach Guns-Double Defense?

This is a discussion on Stoeger Coach Guns-Double Defense? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone own a Stoeger Coach Gun or the Stoeger Double Defense? If you do how does it fire, do you use the single or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Stoeger Coach Guns-Double Defense?

Stoeger Coach Guns-Double Defense?

Does anyone own a Stoeger Coach Gun or the Stoeger Double Defense? If you do how does it fire, do you use the single or double trigger, and what other things can you tell me about the shotgun. I would like to get a side by side and they seem to be in my price range. Thanks for the help everyone and Happy New Year!
    IAFF 2623
    Everyone comes home!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    moggie6, I bought the wife a 20 gauge coach gun last year and it shoots like a dream. I have to put a rather thick pad on it to get the proper pull length - that comes from long arms:)
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I have the Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme, this one... http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...un_supreme.php

Mine is in Nickel, and a 12 ga. A great HD gun, but does have a bit of a kick.

I also sent mine off to have some work done on it after I first bought it. Operates as smooth as butter...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've got a Baikal (Russian) 12 ga S x S Coach Shotgun with 20" barrels, double triggers, and love it. Stoeger should be about the same. A coach shotgun usually has both barrels open cylinder and is very good for HD and also rabbits in brush. The Baikal has chromed chambers and tubes and is good for steel shot. You do need to note the pattern from an open choke does open up pretty quickly and not good for long distances, but perfect for the job they were designed to do. Go with the one you like and you will be happy.

The Double Defense may have screw in chokes where you can have the best of all choke worlds.
    Yeah, My old CCW 9 MM is nicknamed "Barkey"
    New CCW LCP is "Elsie"
    and my 12 Ga S x S Coach gun is "Boomer"
    Wife's weapon is "Miss Pearl" (SP101 .357 w/mother of pearl inserts)
    We're old so we can get away with that.

My wife has the Coach Gun. It's short overall length makes it more practical than my hunting shotguns for most SD situations. Good price. Seems to be tough enough. Fun to shoot. Looks cool.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Thanks everyone I appreciate it. Does anyone have mind double or single triggers?
    IAFF 2623
    Everyone comes home!

I've been eye balling one of these awhile myself. I don't think they are available with a single trigger with a selector switch. I would still want a double set anyway. I've had some limited experience with doubles and they suit me pretty well.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

VIP Member
    Frankly, I’ve never considered one but after viewing the website, I’m impressed! Still, the DD does seem a bit over the top but I could definitely see myself buying the single-trigger 410 in nickel. Man, I had to say that again out loud and it felt good! Oh well, I'll get over it.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I like the double triggers on mine.

It is pretty natural to touch off the forward one, and then transition back to the second trigger. Of course, you can always just give them both barrels at once if you want.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I own a Stoeger Double Defense in 12 gauge. I really like it for its size, weight, tactical movement. I put a light on the bottom rail and it lines up perfect with the light pipe front sight. Center of the light field is where the shots hit. Its a little stout in the recoil dept even with the comp'd barrels, but nothing I can't handle easily. My women folk are not small so they should have no problem either. It is LOUD! Even if someone misses the noise alone will scare them into a involuntary bowel movement. However, I found it to be right on the money, so I don't see many misses with it at gunfight distances. From 10 meters I rapid fired and put the 1st shot dead center in the X, quick followup shot was directly dead center in the coconut. This was with slugs, 00 and other field loads were just as effective. I highly recommend this weapon for home defense. FWIW I was an active shooter/CQB instructor prior to retirement.

I'd love to have one of those. I have an old 20-gauge single-shot and I want to retire it. I already have a tactical 12-gauge and a Coach Gun in a 20-gauge would be perfect, my wife could shoot it too. Also there's just something nice-and-solid about a SxS that I like. One day...

The only con I can think of is that there's only two shots before you have to reload, and what if there's more than two BGs coming at you? Could I reload fast enough in that stressful situation? I guess if they keep coming after the first two blasts then they are crazy. But there are crazy people, No?
    The first rule of self-defense is to avoid the situation. The second rule is Train and Prepare.

I've had a Stoeger coach gun(the basic standard model) in 12ga with double triggers for several years. It's main function is my travel/motel room gun. It brakes down into 3 suitcase sized pieces and it takes all of 10 seconds to reassemble it. It has been nothing but excellent. I've shot lots of rounds thru it and never had any issues. I've even shot some informal trap and skeet with it and didn't do to bad. It was mega fun! It also makes a handy brush gun for small critters and quail if you're not too far away. For me, anything past 40 yards on a quail is too far and the bird gives me "the bird ;)" as it flies away. I think you'll be very happy with a coach gun, so go get one!

[QUOTE=Pinger;1913966 The only con I can think of is that there's only two shots before you have to reload, and what if there's more than two BGs coming at you? Could I reload fast enough in that stressful situation? I guess if they keep coming after the first two blasts then they are crazy. But there are crazy people, No?[/QUOTE]

I put a 6 shell holder on the stock. I should be able to load rapidly from concealment or transition to a handgun if necessary. I most likely would have bought this in 20 gauge had I been given a choice. A local sporting goods store had it in 12 only, and only 1 on hand back in Jan of this year. The price was right at $399. The next build run of these should be out there now. I have not looked since I bought mine. It was on the store shelf for less than 24 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I like the double triggers on mine.

It is pretty natural to touch off the forward one, and then transition back to the second trigger. Of course, you can always just give them both barrels at once if you want.
    Agreed.
    I've got one and all I've done was polish the hell out of the chambers so the spent shells will fall out with a good jerk. Looking back, I'd find something with extraters.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Many have the double triggers and hammers for cowboy shooting. Mine is a single trigger, and I like it that way. Shoots great. Wouldn't trade it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links