Kel Tec is planning a new shotgun design. The KSG.

This is a discussion on Kel Tec is planning a new shotgun design. The KSG. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Way wicked cool!...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Kel Tec is planning a new shotgun design. The KSG.

Administrator
    Way wicked cool!
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Kel-Tec is putting out some unique looking weapons
    Presumably we can look forward to Kel-Tec releasing a carbine companion to their new PMR-30 pistol sometime in the not too distant future.

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=842
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

If this thing performs (and, if KT can get 'em out)...I would seriously consider one.

And in an interesting footnote, it would seem it definitely has some Neostead in it's lineage...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neostead
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I would imagine (pulling this out of thin air here), probably something like a $600-$800 price. I doubt it'll hit the $350-$400 price point - that's 870 police territory. I would expect this to be more than that.

I'd love to see a $500 price point, as I think it would be ideal. But, who knows - depends on how much R&D they had to do to get this whole thing to work, including the tube selector. But the fact that it is a pump action should definitely help make it cheaper than an equivalent bullpup semi.

An item of note...An SBS with a standard LOP stock (not youth model) measures _exactly_ 34" from mid-point of the buttpad to the muzzle.
    This gun measures 8" _less_! That is greater half the length of an SBS barrel alone.
    This gun is going to be LOVED by police (entry teams) as well as military and of course civilians including 3-Gun gamers, pig hunters (slug!) and bush pilots.

Even if the gun costs $1K...It still circumvents the $200 tax stamp of an SBS while offering as much as three times the magazine capacity total.
    At a price of $800 it would be a steal and at $500 street as supposed above (!)...It pretty much kills the Remy 870 and Mossy 500/590 market because well why go even go there?

Key though will be build quality and quality control as well as ability to meet market demands with on shelf product (See Sig Sauer).
    Yes it will be heavy when fully loaded...But that is a bonus in itself as all that weight on board will make shooting this thing a cinch for 00 buckshot.
    Comes with a rail as OEM which is excellent for mounting a red dot. The as shown pic with stupid tall AR15 sights is just plain silly...But folk will buy into it. Just add a low height front sight (closer to the bore the better) and shoulder it. Good to go.

Even for hunters this would be an interesting option.
    Get the barrel threaded internally to support a removable choke and bam you got yourself a turkey gun that becomes multi-distant user selectable to a given payload...And being this small and _tight_ you have an advantage toward being unnoticed by toms.
    Same applies to deer hunters running slug. Attach a reddot and load up either magazine with either a light mass short distance sighted Brenneke and in the other magazine load up heavy 1 oz. slugger for more distant shots out to 100 yds.
    This way you save your body unnecessary wear and tear with sight and select on the fly capability, just like running a break action dual barrel shotgun.

Same applies to 3-gun gamers too...Payload selection on the fly toward either shot in one magazine and slug in the other with no need to stop to load/reload/swap loads while running through stage transitions.
    Again same toward police and .gov agencies where one side could be slug and the other side shot with no need for the operator to otherwise learn and master manual shell changeover technique as must be done with conventional shotguns.

There are sooooo many very much market viable applications for a _tool_ such as this.
    What ever they ask for in coin the price would be worth it.

WOW!

This is potentially a game changer.
    But, they really gotta knock this out of the park on the first swing at bat.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Very ugly shotty! No surprises, ket-tec always makes them that way. Watch they charge an arm and leg for that ugly shotty!
    I trained everyday and will be ready for the day that I have to defend myself or my family!

So we're getting an American made version of the Neostead 2000?

Cool.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sample View Post
    Very ugly shotty! No surprises, ket-tec always makes them that way. Watch they charge an arm and leg for that ugly shotty!
    Yes, exactly. Kel-Tec is very well known for their very high end (and over-priced) products.

And yes, again. We should always choose life saving tools based solely on how "pretty" they are. Is there are more rolleyes version of available?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

To be fair, I think the RFB was a departure from what most people think of when they think of Kel-Tec. I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect the same higher level from the KSG.

I agree, this would be great. All the advantages of a SBS, but legal, and still with the ballistics advantages of a longer barrel - and with (much) more capacity. Plus I imagine the balance on this weapon will be better, even loaded to capacity. It should be great for swinging around in close quarters compared to a "regular" shotgun, or even a regular SBS.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    That's butt ugly and it will be VERY heavy. No thanks for me. I'd rather use my Mossberg or get a tactical carbine.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

kpw
    Not sure if I need one but it looks interesting. I'm betting we'll see them in lots of action movies though!
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Innovative to say the least.
    Janq is right on the money with all the possible applications too.
    And functionality is beauty. (e.g. glocks, etc.)
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Right now, it sounds like the price is going to be in the $600 range...not sure if that's MSRP, or street.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Super sweet, I could see this in my shotty rack.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I really like when companies pave the way for evolution. This will definietely spur more innovation in the industry. Next put a drum or magazine on it for faster reloads and we are talking serious firepower - though not that practical or necessary, hopefully. If I needed to lay it down though...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links