Kel Tec is planning a new shotgun design. The KSG.

This is a discussion on Kel Tec is planning a new shotgun design. The KSG. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Dunn, Please what ever you do...Please do some half way scientific style measuring and reporting. Don't come back with the typical yeah I shot it ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Kel Tec is planning a new shotgun design. The KSG.

Dunn,

Please what ever you do...Please do some half way scientific style measuring and reporting.
    Don't come back with the typical yeah I shot it and it's awesome.
    Folk do that all the time stunned that X, Y or Z gun actually went boom when they pulled the trigger, and that is their report. A major let down.

I'd love to know details about how the action functions as related to the mag tubes and ease of switch control as well as it's robustness in design & manufacture.
    As it's cylinder bore OEM I'm gonna assume it'll spread to 2 feet wide at 15 yds. pretty much like every other cylinder bore shotty running non-flite control regular 00 buck.
    What would be interesting to know though is felt degree of muzzle rise in it being this configuration AND with it having a straight stock inline with the bore; As it should be markedly less by manner of physics. But field trial is always best.

Less muzzle rise means more time spent with the eye looking down range at a given target and less time spent realigning the bore s pointed toward said target be it ground (rabbit), standing (wild turkey or jive turkey) or in flight (bird/clay).

Also slap a shotgun capable reddot on the rail if you can get access to one and report on both the guns stock rail height as relative to the shooters wyw when in a cheek weld position, as well as on how easy or difficult it is for that same humans eye to hold cheek weld AND align the eye with the reddots ocular so as to run the gun efficiently without having to lift the head.

Just a few ideas to add to your own hopper of how does this gun run _differently_ than convention thoughts.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Well... I want one and like others am also glad I've held off on a shotgun purchase.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The thing about Kel Tec is while they design some very innovative and cutting edge products they leave a lot to be desired in fit, finish and function. I am not going to drop 6-8 bills which is likely what this shotgun would cost, for a novelty. I will stick with my 870. But that being said I would love to run a box or two through yours.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Way wicked cool!
    OMG....SIXTO....It has a pistol grip ...you like it ?!? Well said...excatly what my first though was. I dig it.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkrazy View Post
    It would have been nice to see them switch tubes. Also get to se the accuracy (yes I know its a shotgun). Thanks for the link though. It looks fun!
    Exactly. It DOES shoot 7 but how about the other 7? May be a reason why that was NOT shown.

I shall do my best. I don't know about the red dot. I don't have a spare floating about, and I don't know about mounting things on their toy...but I'll try.
    I'll see if I can get video of it in a more "I want to break this thing" fashion instead of trying to make it look good.

Here are some pics of today's photo spread
    http://olegvolk.livejournal.com/964801.html?ref=nf
    Last edited by dunndw; January 14th, 2011 at 09:53 PM.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

From the video, it looks like it takes a bit of effort to run that slide.

I like that it's a new idea, but still undecided...

Don't know if I like it or not, time will tell
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I'm still undecided too.

For pretty much the same money I already have a Saiga 12 that's been converted but the compact size of the KSG is really neat!
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

Video from the photo shoot Friday...I'm even more ticked off that I wasn't there now. It shows the functionality of the selector, etc. Looks like with some time behind the trigger you could get pretty quick with it.

http://olegvolk.livejournal.com/965059.html
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Pretty sweet!! Kel-Tec is putting out some pretty sweet stuff lately.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I' ll wait and see on this one.

I wonder how long it'll be until Ruger announces their copy.

Quote Originally Posted by alexcantslee View Post
    Man, if that thing works smoothly thats about as perfect for home defense as you can get.
    +1!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I shot a lot back in the day without any protection. My bigger problem was all the model airplane engines with no protection. I am in my 60's now and it is starting to bite big time. The newer Russian .15 cu in combat motors actually hurt even with ear protection! 30, 000 rpm with prop tips near supersonic is really LOUD.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I ran some math. Assuming the mags hold 7 of the 2.75" shotshells, that's 19.25" magazine, and 11 of the 1.75" Aguila shot shells. 22 total. Weeeee.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links