Kel Tec is planning a new shotgun design. The KSG. - Page 9

Kel Tec is planning a new shotgun design. The KSG.

This is a discussion on Kel Tec is planning a new shotgun design. The KSG. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 10thmtn Would seem to have a lot of weight up front...? Wouldn't that be a plus?...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Kel Tec is planning a new shotgun design. The KSG.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Would seem to have a lot of weight up front...?
    Wouldn't that be a plus?
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

I never said it has too many rounds,I said if you need 14+1 rounds of 12 gauge you might wanta change your lifestyle,We have home invasions down here quite frequently and they usually fall into 2 categories stash house for drugs and or money,or they hit the wrong house thinking it was a drug or cash stash house
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    Wow, this is a change 2 people say that a platform has too many rounds! I wonder why everyone and their dogs hang an extra 5 rounds on their shotguns. =/
    I was a little lost too. It seemed high capacity was acceptable. Saiga 12 for instance. Who knows. It looks like the shotgun from the Halo series so I find it strange.

I would like a Saiga but the price is ridiculous, so this may be an option.

By the way, Saiga's pricing ever coming back down?

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin03 View Post
    I was a little lost too. It seemed high capacity was acceptable. Saiga 12 for instance. Who knows. It looks like the shotgun from the Halo series so I find it strange.

I would like a Saiga but the price is ridiculous, so this may be an option.

By the way, Saiga's pricing ever coming back down?

Not while they are talking about banning them! Prices have darn near doubled just because they are considering it.
    Freedom.... The Price Keeps Going Up, and the Quality Keeps Going Down.

It really bugs me, but I was meaning to get one last year. That's what I get for waiting. I should never again question a gun purchase.

My girlfriend told me to by a 1911, and I did not hesitate. Lesson learned and applied.

Not sure if you guys have seen this yet, but there is a reviewer on you tube who got a Kel-Tec rep to come to his state and let him put the KSG through some paces. Good info.

YouTube - 1 of 4, Kel-Tec KSG Shotgun First Shots: "Eat Lead" by Nutnfancy

With Kel-Tec's production norms this may be as close as some of us will get to handling one for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by clark81 View Post
    Not sure if you guys have seen this yet, but there is a reviewer on you tube who got a Kel-Tec rep to come to his state and let him put the KSG through some paces. Good info.

YouTube - 1 of 4, Kel-Tec KSG Shotgun First Shots: "Eat Lead" by Nutnfancy

With Kel-Tec's production norms this may be as close as some of us will get to handling one for a few years.
    Yeah, I watched all 4 parts. Nutnfancy really gets to put the shotgun through it's paces with his run-n-gun shoot and gives fair criticisms and evaluation. He's also pitting it against a traditional Winchester pump shotgun to see how it stacks up against it.

Good stuff, but as you all know, Nutnfancy's video's are rather lengthy, and this 4 part series is no different. Personally, that is not an issue for me. You really get to see the gun in action and certainly way more than you get with any of the other 1 or 2 minute videos of the gun on YouTube. Nutnfancy actually uses it in a run-n-gun combat course, under stress and timed. He's not just standing there at an indoor range and pulling the trigger like in all the other videos. I'm a fan of TNP.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    Wouldn't that be a plus?
    No. Too much weight in front makes it difficult to get the gun swinging. One of the great advantages of a plain shotgun is that they are really quick in action. That's why I eschew "tacticool" mods to my shotgun that add weight, especially in front. I have an elastic butt cuff for extra rounds - that keeps the weight toward the rear where it does not impede the "swing" of the shotty. I don't have an extended mag tube, nor a mounted light. JMHO, YMMV.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; April 18th, 2011 at 01:14 PM. Reason: spelling
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I'm hoping the bullpup nature and relatively short OAL will make the shotgun have decent balance, compared to something that just tacks on a bunch of magazine capacity onto the front.

Interesting hearing loss discussion early in this thread. I worry about hearing loss during any self-defense firearm use, but especially at home in a closed room, when I wouldn't have time to don hearing protection. I recently bought an FNH FNP-45 Tactical with an extended and externally threaded barrel for my "bedside companion" gun. I'm going to equip it with a suppressor and red dot site; it won't be used for carry outside the home.

I am interested in the Kel-Tec shotgun for a similar home defense mission and would equip it with a red dot. Can a sound suppressor be mounted to a shotgun?. I would probably fill one tube with self defense rounds and the other with less-than-lethal ammunition, like bean bags, for a situation where legal use of lethal force is questionable, but I need to convince some scumbag to vacate the premises.

Senior Moderator
    Can a sound suppressor be mounted to a shotgun?
    Yes, its a popular thing to do in Europe, they have been suppressing them for years.
    Practical...not so much. They have to be long to be effective and even then they are far from silent, in fact some of them barely qualify as "hearing safe".

So, for self defense purposes, the short length of the shotgun would be negated by the long length of the can to make it more quiet.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I figure that there are plenty of military and even LE guys out there who have fired all manner of loud weaponry indoors with no hearing pro and while they have undoubtedly suffered a good amount of hearing loss (and probably have constant tinnitus), they can still function more or less ok. At least, I think so...

You can always hang a pair of earmuffs next your HD shotgun. If you have time to throw them on, great, if not... don't sweat it too much, IMHO.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Links