Building a tactical 870

This is a discussion on Building a tactical 870 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have 2 rem. 870 magnum shotguns. One I use for hunting and I plan to keep it that way. The other I would like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a tactical 870

Building a tactical 870

I have 2 rem. 870 magnum shotguns. One I use for hunting and I plan to keep it that way. The other I would like to turn into a tactical Zombie gun. I'm starting with the barrel and have what is probably a stupid question. I'm going to put an 18.5" barrel on it and I like this one

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SHT600-1.html

With the end being the way it is and the description saying it's designed for frangible breacher slugs, would I be able to shoot 00 buckshot and regular slugs through it as well as whatever other shells I have laying around say #6 and so on. If it's going to be a SHTF gun I want it to be able to shoot whatever 12 gauge shells are laying around.

Also I'm open to other suggestions and advice on what toys to add to make it a mean zombie gun
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

2. Remove Ads

Makes sense, I just personally dont like the breecher end. Should be functional. You dont need to add much to the gun itself. If it is a polymer stock switch it out for a speed feed, and add a 4 round sidesaddle. Maybe keep slugs in the stock , and 00 on the saddle. The front bead sight is perfectly funcitonal, but a tritium is acceptable. Maybe look at a light, I like the Surefire Forends myself, but there are lots of options available. You dont want to add too much and make it too heavy and non functional. Bare minimums. You cant run from Zombies if your gear is too heavy.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Good points. Don't plan on "decking it out" It's completley basic right now. Wood stock and forend 28" barrel etc... Just want a short barrel, maybe synthetic stock and forend and a shell holder. Possibly a light but that's about it. So you think that barrel shoot anything I put in it without a problem?

When I run out of shells I can start stabbing with the end
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would install a Blackhawk Knoxx adjustable stock with a modular cheek piece to hold shells, an EOTECH red dot sight, a Spec-Ops tactical sling, a side saddle 6 shot shell holder and a surefire flashlight system. That would make it an awesome tactical shotgun.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I personally dont like the adjustable stock, but that is personal preference. That barrel will do what you want but personally the breecher is of no real use to me, a tac team or soldier blowing doors off hinges maybe but other than that, not necessary. This is how I would go and much cheaper. You can take and sell your long barrel you are replacing and pay for the new one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=209187742

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Cool

1974 Remington Wingmaster with brushed nickle finish done in 1975, pro-ported with poly choke, sidesaddle, synthetic full pistol grip stock and fore end and tactical sling. My trunk gun.

P26093812.jpg

P26094308.jpg
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Hope you don't ever need to use that thing in the sunlight Old School. That finish was done before I was born, and would still blind everyone in a three block radius.

As far as tricking out shotguns, I usually add some way to carry extra rounds on the weapon, like a side saddle, a good sling, and a light, and call it good. I don't see much a need for that breecher end on the barrel, but it does add a little bit of tacti-cool, if that is your thing. I'd just go with a standard 18.5 inch barrel though.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Hope you don't ever need to use that thing in the sunlight Old School. That finish was done before I was born, and would still blind everyone in a three block radius.

As far as tricking out shotguns, I usually add some way to carry extra rounds on the weapon, like a side saddle, a good sling, and a light, and call it good. I don't see much a need for that breecher end on the barrel, but it does add a little bit of tacti-cool, if that is your thing. I'd just go with a standard 18.5 inch barrel though.
    "Done before you were born". When I use to take it into those dim lit bars on fight calls and rack a round it got everybodies attention.

But that was yesterday and yesterdays gone. I agree with your K.I.S.S. approch.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I made a stop at the gun shop on the way home and they had an 870 with the barrel with breecher end. Don't like it you guys are right, I will stick with the standard 18" thanks for the link Jwhite that's the route I'm going to go I think.

There were a few options there, that is just the first one I found.

Administrator
    I'd keep the wood stock too. They make better clubs.

Other than that, a side saddle maybe a small light if thats your thing and call it a day.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Actually I find the uncle mikes stock shell holder to be a better holder and faster reload than the receiver mounted side saddles. Don't know why everyone suggest a side saddle when you can get an UM from walmart that slips over the stock for a few bucks. I think it looks better to. Thanks for the advice though guys I'm getting some ideas for a good start.

Lots of good suggestions. As you said it was a tactical rather than HD, I would look into a good ghost ring sight. The added expense adds considerably to the versatility of the weapon.

OS,
    I'm nosey. Which is four and which is two, slugs or buck?
    Last edited by Guantes; January 4th, 2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Typo
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Guess I didnt say it properly but I agree with sixto, if its wood, keep it wood. Extra ammo is really all you need a light is very optional IMO.

Try an M1 Carbine stock pouch on the stock to hold 4 extra rds. Drill out snap or cover w/duct tape to protect stock. Surefire is a must. I dont like a mag extension, too much weight. Faster without imho, 5 rds is plenty...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links