5.56 2.23 question in regards to Spikes tactical AR

This is a discussion on 5.56 2.23 question in regards to Spikes tactical AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I bought a Spike Tactical AR. Took it out last weekend, put 100 rounds through it, was beautiful, only to minor sight adjustments and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.56 2.23 question in regards to Spikes tactical AR

So I bought a Spike Tactical AR. Took it out last weekend, put 100 rounds through it, was beautiful, only to minor sight adjustments and we were easily putting rounds right around the X at 300 yards with ironsights. Red dot hasn't shown up yet.

My question is, can I load .223 in this as well? I know they are "Almost" the same, but I have always bought 5.56 but I was looking at some incendiary ammo for some fun plinking on ammunitiontogo and it seems it only comes in .223.

Is that going to be a problem for the rifle. My understanding is that if it is chambered for 5.56 the weaker round is the .223 and so it should be all good.

But I am a noob and so please, help out a noob.

Yes, if it has a 5.56 chamber you can use .223.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

As long as you have a 5.56 Nato chamber, you are good with either, the other way around doesn't work so well sometimes.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

You are good to go. Outside of the specialty calibers....Spike's does everthing in 5.56....on your lower it should say "Cal Multi". I shoot both out of my Spike's AR. Glad to hear you went with them.....I've been nothing but happy with mine.

Yes, I believe you can generally do .223 in a 5.56 chamber... but doing 5.56 in a weapon specifically chambered for .223 is not advised.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    You are good to go. Outside of the specialty calibers....Spike's does everthing in 5.56....on your lower it should say "Cal Multi". I shoot both out of my Spike's AR. Glad to hear you went with them.....I've been nothing but happy with mine.
    The Cal Multi has nothing to do with using both 5.56 and 223, it means it can be used to assembly many different caliber rifles with the same lower. Such as 9mm, 7.62, 6.8, etc.

If the barrel / chamber are listed as 5.56 then either 5.56 or .223 are fine, if it is marked .223 then do not use for 5.56 unless you verify with the manufacturer. Still best to ALWAYS check with the manufacturer before going off list for ammo types.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    The Cal Multi has nothing to do with using both 5.56 and 223, it means it can be used to assembly many different caliber rifles with the same lower. Such as 9mm, 7.62, 6.8, etc.

If the barrel / chamber are listed as 5.56 then either 5.56 or .223 are fine, if it is marked .223 then do not use for 5.56 unless you verify with the manufacturer. Still best to ALWAYS check with the manufacturer before going off list for ammo types.
    Thanks for the clarification....that's a good point. +1 to checking with the manufacturer. Spike's staff had stated to me on numerous occasions that they chamber in 5.56....outside of the other specialty calibers, which is why I assume the rest of my answer was correct. But that still does not make my "cal multi" statement a supporting piece of info.... again, thanks!

Man, I really need to pull the trigger on getting my spikes middy. Did you get a quad rail from them or are they still out of stock?

This thread is useless without pics!!
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    Man, I really need to pull the trigger on getting my spikes middy. Did you get a quad rail from them or are they still out of stock?

This thread is useless without pics!!
    Yes I'm about to do the same chivvalry. The quad rail is my hold up as well.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Both bsnow and chivvalry, you do know that Spikes Tactical is the WORST company on the planet right? I mean who else stoops so low as to have a great product AND at a great price AND great customer service. It has to be a sign of the apocalypse . My biggest complaint is they don't have the big spider on pocket tees. I can't stand having a lower of theirs that isn't complete and I have one now that's got just too many options.

Both bsnow and chivvalry, you do know that Spikes Tactical is the WORST company on the planet right? I mean who else stoops so low as to have a great product AND at a great price AND great customer service. It has to be a sign of the apocalypse . My biggest complaint is they don't have the big spider on pocket tees. I can't stand having a lower of theirs that isn't complete and I have one now that's got just too many options.
    My biggest complaint is their quad rails being out of stock thereby posing the HUGE dilemma to me of whether to buy the middy without and get one later or wait until they get them back in stock... driving me nuts. I keep checking on the site to see if they are back in stock. I need to call 'em and whine a little maybe.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Thanks everyone.

Thats what I thought and had read but I just wanted to make sure. Spikes tactical has been nothing but awesome as far as customer service and help and the weapon itself is beautiful. I think in another year I might need another.

Btw the stickers are a nice touch of customer service and sales.

As I gathered over time..Thats why I want one.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My understanding is that the throat is the difference between .223 and 5.56 more so that the chamber, the 5.56 being longer for the longer military bullets.

Right, wrong? My Rem 788 in .223 has never fired anything other than 5.56 brass.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My understanding is that the throat is the difference between .223 and 5.56 more so that the chamber, the 5.56 being longer for the longer military bullets.

Right, wrong? My Rem 788 in .223 has never fired anything other than 5.56 brass.
    Do a quick google search on 5.56 vs .223 and start reading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links