I broke down and bought a Mosin Nagant 91/30 - Page 2

I broke down and bought a Mosin Nagant 91/30

This is a discussion on I broke down and bought a Mosin Nagant 91/30 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Datsun40146 Well the main problem, is that most people are sissies...lol. No really, I suppose the real issue is that the gun ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I broke down and bought a Mosin Nagant 91/30

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Datsun40146 View Post
    Well the main problem, is that most people are sissies...lol. No really, I suppose the real issue is that the gun has a butt plate is just that, a plate. It's a naked, sharp angled, piece of steel and that's all. Personally, IMO as long as one gets the rifle in the pocket correctly the recoil is no problem. I've fired over 100 rounds in a session and wasn't sore at all with the stock gun.
    Sure! whatever you say daddy
    Go with the glow

Congrats, 91/30's are fine rifles. I have one with matching #s which seems to be unissued. You'll have lots of good times with it.

Want to know where your rifle is from?

http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks01.htm

Ammo is cheap if you know where to find it.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemL...aspx?catid=607
    http://www.centerfiresystems.com/762x54r.aspx
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=317225
    Some of this stuff can put a hole through 1/2" steel at 120 yds.

Also, custom "nancy pads" can be found.

http://combatoptical.com/catalog/MOS...T-PAD-448.html
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I have never shot one but have heard the horror stories about their awesome recoil. Whats up with that? Its not that powerful of a round. The rifle is not a featherweight. Is it the stock design or something else that makes it so uncomfortable to shoot?

Michael
    91/30's have a kick comparable to a 12 ga. shotgun. If you're looking for horror stories, try an M44.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I wouldn't mind having one, based on its history alone. Good acquisition.

They can often be found at gun shows, in my area at least around $125- $160 OTD. Many times with matching #s.
    Richard M Nixon
    Jeff Cooper

[QUOTE]
    Not that powerfull a around? Are you kidding me. The 7.62x54r round is ballistically on par with the 30.06.
    Exactly why I am asking this question. I am not intending to put down anyones rifle of choice. I have never heard as many complaints about recoil at the range than I have with people shooting these rifles. The term brutal comes up alot. This is why I asked if it is stock design?
    I have fired many old 03's and british 303's and never found them to be bad to shoot. I have never heard the stories of brutal recoil from other who have shot them either. So, it made me wonder, why the stories about this particular rifle and not others? I would like to know as I have considered looking at one because I believe it would make a fine cast bullet target rifle.
    I do not mean to put down anyones rifle here.

BTW brutal = .577 Martini

Michael

There was a program on TV a few months back. Shooter's challenge or something like that. One of the rifles used in the competition was a Mosin Nagant. One most of the competitors were unfamiliar with for a good challenge. Never owned one myself. Maybe someday.
    Recoil with the old battle rifles in original condition? I had an Argentine Mauser in 7.65 with steel butt plate. Never wanted to put more than 10 rounds through it at the range and always shot it last.
    Congrats on your Mosin, and have fun with it!

Nice acquisition.

I saw a bunch of them at a local gun store in really nice condition at $100 apiece and sadly, I passed on buying one.

I'm thinking I should have bought one just for kicks (pardon the pun).

Might have been a great companion to my Spanish Armas Oviedo 7 X 57 Mauser.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Sponsor
    [QUOTE=mlr1m;1845707]
    Exactly why I am asking this question. I am not intending to put down anyones rifle of choice. I have never heard as many complaints about recoil at the range than I have with people shooting these rifles. The term brutal comes up alot. This is why I asked if it is stock design?
    I have fired many old 03's and british 303's and never found them to be bad to shoot. I have never heard the stories of brutal recoil from other who have shot them either. So, it made me wonder, why the stories about this particular rifle and not others? I would like to know as I have considered looking at one because I believe it would make a fine cast bullet target rifle.
    I do not mean to put down anyones rifle here.

BTW brutal = .577 Martini

Michael
    This is I think what we are looking for:

This is an average of all the info I could gather so far

Lee enfield energy rating: 2600 foot-pounds.
    Barrel length :25 inches
    Muzzle velocity: 2500 ft/s

Mosin-Nagants energy rating: 2900 foot-pounds.
    Barrel length: 31 inches
    muzzle velocity: 28000 ft/s

It would seem as if a longer barrel would retain more energy, so the barrel accelerates against your shoulder a fraction of a second longer, and as a result the push effect, the opposite would be my keltec PF9 which is as snappy as it can be due to the short barrel.
    Go with the glow

The Mosin was the AK of its day - indestructable and totally reliable even under the worst of conditions! They are also quite accurate. We have several in the family and usually shoot one or more every time we go to the range. I have no idea why these old guns are so much fun to shoot, but they certainly are!

Besides the cheap surplus ammo, there are modern soft point loads available for hunting. With these, you can take any animal in North America, including the largest bears. I know several serious hunters who hunt much of the time with their Mosins, because they don't want to take their fancy high-dollar guns out during ugly weather.

Also, for the price of an entry-level AK-47, you can arm your entire family.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I cant believe anyone would hesitate to buy one of these at the price they sell for now. I have 3 myself. Just picked up a Hex model 91/30 recently fro 89 in great shape.

I have a 1932 Hex myself. Perfect bore, just wish it had matching the matching bolt and original stock (probably refurbed in the '40s).

I'm not an iron sight shooter but I can keep smacking the 16" x 16" gong @ 300m well enough with 1970's Bulgarian surplus ammo.

I may pick up another some day that has a decent bore and build a target/tactical stock for it. This is referred to "Buba-ing" the rifle, but if you got it with non matching numbers, there's not too much harm done to a collectible.

And, yeah, got the bruised shoulder first day with it. That steel plate is nasty. Has a nice rubber pad on it now.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    I poked around on the internet over the past week or so debating whether I really wanted to purchase one of these old Russian bolt action rifles. I'd really like to get out and do some moose hunting this summer but currently don't have like 400+ to spend on a more modern hunting rifle. I read various reviews on the Mosin Nagant and all seemed pretty positive and watched videos on youtube of it being fired. It seems like it'll get the job done for larger game hunting as well as long range target shooting at the range. This is my first bolt action rifle and probably won't be my last. I looked at the selection of 91/30s the gun store had in stock and I chose the one I thought was in the best shape; it was made in 1942. I can't wait to get out and shoot it at the range.

congratulations for a nice buy. these are like glocks though... once you buy one, you need to buy another one. AIM got some cheap ammo. make sure you watch," enemy at the gates" for added inspiration.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

My son just picked one up from a local gun shop a couple of days ago. It was made in 1943. Bet it could tell a couple of war stories.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

Not as many as the late 1800's, early 1900's ones who got to see both WWs
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I know people are going to flame me for saying this but I will say it anyway. Shorten the barrel, chop the stock, bend the bolt and put a scope on it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links