I broke down and bought a Mosin Nagant 91/30 - Page 3

I broke down and bought a Mosin Nagant 91/30

This is a discussion on I broke down and bought a Mosin Nagant 91/30 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I took my Mosin Nagant to the range this past Friday and it's pretty fun to shoot except for one thing. I really had to ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I took my Mosin Nagant to the range this past Friday and it's pretty fun to shoot except for one thing. I really had to yank on the bolt to get it to eject the spent shells. I found out this is quite common with these old rifles. Do I just need to shoot the snot out of it or do I need to clean it really good?
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    I took my Mosin Nagant to the range this past Friday and it's pretty fun to shoot except for one thing. I really had to yank on the bolt to get it to eject the spent shells. I found out this is quite common with these old rifles. Do I just need to shoot the snot out of it or do I need to clean it really good?
    No, what you have is glazed gunk inside the chamber that is heating up and "glueing" the shell to the chamber making it hard to eject. Take a .30 cal copper brush wrap it with a swath of cotton. Then use some type of polishing compound on the cotton swath. Once you have your compound covered bore brush chuck it into a drill gun and polish all that crap out of the chamber. Clean it well afterwards and you should be good to go.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    It's cosmoline. Heat it up (search around for methods on google) and let it melt and drain. After that tear down the action, bolt, and trigger group and give it a through cleaning to get rid of that wretched cosmoline.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links