I broke down and bought a Mosin Nagant 91/30

This is a discussion on I broke down and bought a Mosin Nagant 91/30 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I poked around on the internet over the past week or so debating whether I really wanted to purchase one of these old Russian bolt ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I broke down and bought a Mosin Nagant 91/30

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

I broke down and bought a Mosin Nagant 91/30

I poked around on the internet over the past week or so debating whether I really wanted to purchase one of these old Russian bolt action rifles. I'd really like to get out and do some moose hunting this summer but currently don't have like 400+ to spend on a more modern hunting rifle. I read various reviews on the Mosin Nagant and all seemed pretty positive and watched videos on youtube of it being fired. It seems like it'll get the job done for larger game hunting as well as long range target shooting at the range. This is my first bolt action rifle and probably won't be my last. I looked at the selection of 91/30s the gun store had in stock and I chose the one I thought was in the best shape; it was made in 1942. I can't wait to get out and shoot it at the range.

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

I'm contemplating the purchase of one right now also, $74.99 out the door $99.00 with a case of ammo. Don't really need it but for the price I'm having a hard time not letting the cash burn a hole in my pocket. Will probably have one by Saturday afternoon.

Sponsor
    Welcome to the Mosin Nagant club, you are going to love it, they are a blast from the past for sure.

You might need some prep work before you start shooting, if you didn't clean the cosmoline already, that was my first priority, since I didn't hae a lot of space for a barrel of diesel I got me one of this:

Pulled apart the whole rifle, for which there are plenty tutorials with pictures on the web, and proceeded to clean every part with the steam cleaner over the bath tub, pay special attention to the trigger mechanism.

The chamber will need steam first and the winchester powder blast or similar plus a cooper brush big enough that will feel snug in there, this chamber cleaning procedure I do every once in awhile because I shoot a lot of surplus ammo which is lacquered and when the rifle gets hot, which happens very fast, the malignant sticky bolt syndrome reappears, not the worst thing, but will take the cool out of your routine.

There is no space big enough to detail everything else but pay attention to the this:
    If you shoot at a range, it pays to buy soft nosed ammo, it won't start a fire and is the only type allowed in most ranges.
    Winchester FMJ has a steel core same as Russian made ammo, doesn't matter what the guy at the counter says. It'll make huge holes at the range and will ricochet off rocks.
    The front sight might need adjustment, mine was 10 inches to the right @ 100 yds, you might need one of this or similar to adjust it:

A good addition is a recoil pad like this one, unless you want to brag about all the shooting with the mosin to your pals, in any case, when you start worrying if the damage to your shoulder is permanent, you'll run and buy one for sure.
    I think medium size is correct.

Be courteous and bring enough ammo so the stunned guys around you can shoot a few bullets, yeah it's about $1.00 a pop but the adrenaline rush they'll experience, you'll see that on their faces, is priceless.

I'm forgetting a lot, but there is more material about this weapon online than any other weapon, believe me.
    Go with the glow

Don't you just love America? Still able to get a hard hitting, high powered rifle for under a hundred bucks! Yeah, it's old... but nothing wrong with that! I guarantee the Moose won't give a damn what you shot him with.

Congrats!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

That's awesome. I would like to pick one of those up myself. My friend has one, and that is a lot of fun for only $100.

Senior Moderator
    Warning...
    No one stops at just one...

I have 3 right now. Once you get the long rifle, you owe it to yourself to get the carbine.

If you like large fireballs, the carbine is the crowd pleaser.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Warning...
    No one stops at just one...

I have 3 right now. Once you get the long rifle, you owe it to yourself to get the carbine.

If you like large fireballs, the carbine is the crowd pleaser.
    True, I've always thought you could cook a hot dog on an extended M44 bayonet.

Really, with how cheap Mosin's and the ammo are, I don't think there are any good reasons not to own one or two.

Congrats on your purchase, happy hunting.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Made in 1942, huh?

Wow...if that rifle could talk.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

great rifle and the ammo is dirt cheap compared to about all large caliber rifle ammo. I bought a tin of 440 rds for $100 and its a real attention getter at the range. Make sure you give it a thorough cleaning to get out the cosmoline grease and clean after every use(especially if using the corrosive surplus stuff)

can't go wrong with a mosin
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Just refinished my Tula 1938. Added a turned down bolt, PU scope, floated the action and polished the trigger and sear. I wouldn't have thought it but the gun managed to shoot 3 rounds touching at 100 yards with surplus army silver tipped ammo. The trigger was the worst until I worked on it, now it breaks without a hint of creep at a crisp 5 pounds. Its wonderful. Congrats on the purchase your going to love it.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

I wouldn't mind having one, based on its history alone. Good acquisition.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

A good addition is a recoil pad like this one, unless you want to brag about all the shooting with the mosin to your pals, in any case, when you start worrying if the damage to your shoulder is permanent, you'll run and buy one for sure.
    I have never shot one but have heard the horror stories about their awesome recoil. Whats up with that? Its not that powerful of a round. The rifle is not a featherweight. Is it the stock design or something else that makes it so uncomfortable to shoot?

Michael

Well the main problem, is that most people are sissies...lol. No really, I suppose the real issue is that the gun has a butt plate is just that, a plate. It's a naked, sharp angled, piece of steel and that's all. Personally, IMO as long as one gets the rifle in the pocket correctly the recoil is no problem. I've fired over 100 rounds in a session and wasn't sore at all with the stock gun.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I have never shot one but have heard the horror stories about their awesome recoil. Whats up with that? Its not that powerful of a round. The rifle is not a featherweight. Is it the stock design or something else that makes it so uncomfortable to shoot?

Michael
    I suggest you shoot one a few times and then make a statement. Not that powerfull a around? Are you kidding me. The 7.62x54r round is ballistically on par with the 30.06. The 7.62x54r is also the oldest cartridge still in regular combat service with military forces in the world. I own an extensive collection of military surplus rifles including 8 Mosin Nagant rifles and have been owning and shooting them for over 20 years. I can tell you any milsurp rifle with a wood stock and metal butt plate will do a number on your shoulder after 25+ rounds without some type of butt pad or shoulder pad, I can tell you that. Just depends on if your man enough to take it. I have taken whitetail deer with a .30-06 and with a 7.62x54r. Both calibers anchor them down just as quickly. No real world difference. A 149 to 181 gr bullet (depending on load) with a muzzle velocity of 2789 fps to 2908 fps is powerful enough my friend.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael
    With all respect, this are not horror stories, please consider this:

The 7.62x54r is very much a .30 caliber, so yes is a large round for a 9 lb rifle.
    9 lb is a light weight by all means, another half pound and it would become heavy very fast during combat, I had to carry a Galil in my time and after a few miles you just want to throw the darn thing away.
    The barrel is very long for optimized use of the propellant, to maximize distance, so basically when you pull the trigger, it becomes a rocket spewing a steel bullet downrange.

The recoil indeed is more like a slow push while the barrel goes upwards, add to that the fact that you'll be burning cartridges like nobody's business and there you have it, a sore shoulder.

Of course you can tough it out, but if you really want to shoot a lot, you'll get the pad.
    Go with the glow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links