Legal load limit for shotguns used in home defense or travel...is there such a thing?

Legal load limit for shotguns used in home defense or travel...is there such a thing?

This is a discussion on Legal load limit for shotguns used in home defense or travel...is there such a thing? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was wondering, is there a legal load limit for shotguns for the use of home defense or defense when traveling . I live in ...

Thread: Legal load limit for shotguns used in home defense or travel...is there such a thing?

I was wondering, is there a legal load limit for shotguns for the use of home defense or defense when traveling. I live in Texas and had never heard of such law, however; recently a friend of mine from California bought a Mossberg SPX 930 over the internet and recently found out that his shotgun is illegal due to its high capacity. I dont think 7+1 capacity is high but apparently California does. Well anyway, my friend is pooping bricks cuz he thinks his gun is illegal. If there is such a law, which states have it. Does Texas have a legal load limit on shotguns for home defense? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Remember as a rule of thumb in defensive carry...your intention is always to STOP....not to hurt, however; in a gun fight, its either me or them.....and Im sure as hell that it will NOT be me.
    -joey rh

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    For hunting purposes, many states have a mag capacity limit, usually 3-5 rounds, mostly 3 in shotguns for birds. Fed laws apply for migratory birds such as ducks, geese, etc. (3 rds). Outside of hunting regs, I don't know of any other limits.

As for your friend, he needs to check the specifics of CA law as it applies to "shotguns" only. Then he needs to move to another state and get a life.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    For hunting purposes, many states have a mag capacity limit, usually 3-5 rounds, mostly 3 in shotguns for birds. Fed laws apply for migratory birds such as ducks, geese, etc. (3 rds). Outside of hunting regs, I don't know of any other limits.

As for your friend, he needs to check the specifics of CA law as it applies to "shotguns" only. Then he needs to move to another state and get a life.
    For bird hunting it's 5, and for migratory birds (ducks, geese, etc) it's 3 rds. Other than that , there is no limit here.
    California has so many unique laws it's absurd.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

The 930 SPX is legal in California. Restrictions on shotguns in California are relative to folding stocks, pistol grips and detachable magazines.

Refer to 12276.1 (a) 6 PC
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Game laws and regs. is not what the OP is asking for.
    As well the sub-area is toward "defensive" rifles & shotguns...Which wholly eliminates discussion/reference to hunting for an answer.

No, there is no limitation federal on magazine capacity toward shotguns as manufactured domestically (See notable exceptions Benelli and FNH SLP)
    As to state laws the answer is again no as in general...Excluding of course states and locales such as first to come to mind because it's my hometown Wash., DC where longguns are expressly disallowed and crud states like MA and CA where longguns with detachable magazines are by that singular subject to magazine capacity restrictions.

I'd had a student ask me this exact same query last sat. in a Basic Hunter Ed. course as I was in a breakout group introducing the mechanical specifics of longguns.
    He'd seen all the chatter on the news and wanted to know if shotguns in specific had "high capacity magazines".

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

No limit on capacity for shotguns (except when hunting in the field) in KY, that I know of. I guess it could varies state to state.

I would have thought that the FFL dealer in CA that the shotgun was ship to would have said something if it was illegal in CA, but who knows.
    Semper Fi

I saw no mention of no shipment, just perceived status of the shotgun and concern over its possibly illegal status.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Look at the Saiga

Texas does not.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by joeyrh9 View Post
    I was wondering, is there a legal load limit for shotguns for the use of home defense or defense when traveling. I live in Texas and had never heard of such a law, however; recently a friend of mine from California....
    Nuff said....California does not have laws that make any sense.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Sponsored Links