Need help with Ar-15!!??

This is a discussion on Need help with Ar-15!!?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Mattmann Thank you so much chivvalry. I love the info you can get on these forums but it's hard to get one ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Ar-15!!??

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Thank you so much chivvalry. I love the info you can get on these forums but it's hard to get one without so much personal feeling involved.
    I predict you will love the AR-15 platform. It is incredibly fun to shoot and you can accessorize to your heart's content. The rifle platform is good for everything from CQC to 300 yd sniper shots... and you can swap from one configuration to the other pretty quickly.

oh, and check out ar15.com if you want to get overwhelmed with an immense amount of good info...
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

2. Remove Ads

I posted the link to bravo company, but that spikes is the best deal I have seen in a while, i may pick one up for that price.

m4carbine.net is also a good site, more adult that arfcom I think

I got the Spikes basic M4, standard length no frills for $800. Everything seems to be in order with it, though the sights were too far off for me to get a zero on my first outing. I will be fixing that tomorrow, and that small complaint is my only problem with it thus far. Nice rifle and great price.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I would definitely check out the chart posted above and figure out what you want/need in your AR. For me, I'd stick to LMT, Daniel Defense, Bravo Company and Spike's LE line. That will keep you in your budget for sure.

Best bang for the buck would be this:

Blem'd BCM complete lower
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-L...AR15-s/156.htm

BCM LW 16" Midlength Upper:
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-1...g-mid-16lw.htm

Add BCG, BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle, MOE Handguards, and a rear sight and you're done.

You'll have one of the best quality ARs you can get and come in somewhere between the Spikes M4LE and $1K depending on options you pick.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

I love mine

Sponsor
    I am not sure what some of you are saying by "it's a good beginners Ar"??? I mean even a colt is only $200 more. I have looked at Daniel defense. I have looked at bcm? There realy doesn't look like there is that many specs that are different. I mean yea the ones that cost $2000 have more furniture and look pretty but I can add that and truly get what I want?
    I didn't mean "beginner's" when I said "entry level" though I guess that would be an argument in semantics.

What I meant was that some of the lower priced complete ARs have the basics taken care of and some don't. It's more a QC thing than anything else. Quality finish, proper staking in several areas, quality test procedures... A low priced rifle/carbine with out all the bells and whistles that has the basics in hand can be up graded to what ever level you want later. One with poor quality parts and materials will always be junk.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Just another vote for Spikes.

I built my AR complete Lower with Spikes hardware. I've built others too, but I can see and feel a quality difference in the Spikes stuff.

From a build your own standpoint, I'd recommend Spikes Tactical.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    I got the Spikes basic M4, standard length no frills for $800. Everything seems to be in order with it, though the sights were too far off for me to get a zero on my first outing. I will be fixing that tomorrow, and that small complaint is my only problem with it thus far. Nice rifle and great price.
    I suggest anybody sighting in an AR15 to remove the upper from the lower and take out the bolt assembly,then resting the upper on firm support look down the bore and center it on the target,then adjust your optic until the point of impact lines up with the center of the bore on the target.It will save a buncha ammo for sighting in,works on bolt guns too
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I suggest anybody sighting in an AR15 to remove the upper from the lower and take out the bolt assembly,then resting the upper on firm support look down the bore and center it on the target,then adjust your optic until the point of impact lines up with the center of the bore on the target.It will save a buncha ammo for sighting in,works on bolt guns too
    Nice trick. I usually just start at 25 yards with a BIG target...
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Here's one point to consider...

If you ever think that you may want to sell it one day, the Colt is by far your best bet.

If you look at the used AR market lately, the bottom has completely dropped out of it. Rifles which would have sold for around $1k a bit over a year ago are lucky to bring $600...except for Colts.

FWIW.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Cuda66- thanks and I agree. But that's something I never have done and never plan on doing. My guns are priceless all the way down to my $80 gun show guns and now that I have a son I plan on him getting everyone of them. Shoot who knows what he wil and won't be able to buy when he gets our age. So bottom line re-sale isn't a deciding factor to me. Also, isn't it colts that won't interchange with any other manufacturer??

Luvmy40-- ok I see what your saying and since you seem to know your stuff, what do you think of the spikes tactical?? Mind doing a little research for a fellow gun man??

VIP Member
    If you are willing to shop around a good AR can be found for $800 or less. I bought my S&W M&P15 for $600. You just have to have the cash ready to go because they never last long at the super low prices.

Check Buds, CDNN and AIM Surplus before you buy.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

No doubt I'm a Spike's Tactical fan. But I saw a NIB Sig556 with a ton of goodies on it for $1,100. That's a smokin' price for a piston gun....you might look around to see if you could find similar.

otherwise +1 to Spike's and Bravo Compay.

sgb
    The M&P line of AR's are very well made and a good value. My step son, son in law and nephew all went with M&P AR's.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Sponsor
    ...Luvmy40-- ok I see what your saying and since you seem to know your stuff, what do you think of the spikes tactical?? Mind doing a little research for a fellow gun man??
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I am far from an expert in the AR area. My experience is with Army/Airforce issued A2s and the MForgery that I put together. I did tons of research and talked to quite a few builders and enthusiasts along the way before I bought anything. Grant at G&R Tactical(where I did finally make my purchases) was a wealth of information and great to deal with. I cannot say enough about the level of service I have received from him. He pointed out some areas that I needed to consider and some things that really didn't matter. I am fortunate that I live close to his shop and made a person to person appointment with him once I decided on his services.
    Spikes seems to be getting some great word of mouth praise and reviews on the EBR forums. Bravo Company Is highly touted as well. But, I have not had any personal experience with either.

A Colt is a Colt. Good quality and famous. If you want a Colt, nothing else will do. If you just want quality there are many that will work for you.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links