Need help with Ar-15!!?? - Page 3

Need help with Ar-15!!??

This is a discussion on Need help with Ar-15!!?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I did a spec comparison on the Spikes using the "infamous spreadsheeet" posted earlier and the Spikes line matches up 100% with the top dogs ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Ar-15!!??

I did a spec comparison on the Spikes using the "infamous spreadsheeet" posted earlier and the Spikes line matches up 100% with the top dogs (Colt and BCM).
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Thanks for all the info guys. I believe I am going to go with the spikes tactical. I just got back from the range and the instructor there was filling me in on how much he loves his spikes and how great his experiance with customer service has been. After all.... I am sure this won't be my last one! Thanks so much for yalls time!!

FYI, you all. I ordered a mid length Spikes w/ a couple of very simple upgrades a week ago. I was super impressed with their C.S. and other such info. I will keep you informed as time goes on.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by bsnow View Post
    FYI, you all. I ordered a mid length Spikes w/ a couple of very simple upgrades a week ago. I was super impressed with their C.S. and other such info. I will keep you informed as time goes on.
    Do they have rails in stock yet?
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Just curious, what upgrades did you do? And also how much was the grand total??

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
    Do they have rails in stock yet?
    C.S. tells me early February they will have the 10" BAR in stock.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Just curious, what upgrades did you do? And also how much was the grand total??
    10" BAR and Samson flip sights. Total cost? In my budget big time!

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I suggest anybody sighting in an AR15 to remove the upper from the lower and take out the bolt assembly,then resting the upper on firm support look down the bore and center it on the target,then adjust your optic until the point of impact lines up with the center of the bore on the target.It will save a buncha ammo for sighting in,works on bolt guns too
    Here in big game country we call it Bore sighting, to save ammo and get on with the program. If you or I have been shooting rifles with optics this is a mandatory must to get to the point..of impact asap. Basic to most of us, but I still have buddies that try to get it done at their gun shop. They come to me asking why after 2 + boxes of 30-06 they still can't hit a 4x4 board at 100-200 yards. I take them out and show them the way I was taught, bore sighting and they finally get it. Lessons stop when we stop listening, I think..

Not sure if anyone else chimed in on this yet, but make sure you get a rifle with a rail on the top. (A3 style) I say this (and I know it's common sense for AR guys) because several friends of mine that I help build AR's told me they wanted that classic look with the carry handle, and I'd reply, "You can get that look on an A3 with a detachable carry handle". They wouldn't listen, then 3 months down the road when it came time for them to look into optics I ended up having to replace their upper receivers for them. (not that mounting on a carry handle is impossible, but it's far from ideal) If I were you, I'd shy away from rails on the hand guards for the time being unless you want to build a target rifle, then you should get a free float tube. But stick with either classic A2 hand guards or Magpul. I'd steer away from Bushmaster (I have 2 and neither one likes Wolf/Tula/Barnaul or any steel-cased Russian ammo) especially if you ever intend of changing anything major. The front sight gas block on bushmasters is a freakin' nightmare to remove should you wish to change that or barrel in the future. I guess I'd have to go with everyone else's recommendation of Spike's Tactical/ Bravo Company.

As far as upgrades go, custom triggers are, at least at this point in your shooting career, not worth the money. If you have a bunch of GI magazines (or find them on the very cheap) replace their followers with magpuls. If not, I can't recommended Magpul/Lancer magazines enough. If you're going to build your own gun, stay away from bull/heavy barrels because you'll get sick of the weight in a hurry.

-Jim

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I suggest anybody sighting in an AR15 to remove the upper from the lower and take out the bolt assembly,then resting the upper on firm support look down the bore and center it on the target,then adjust your optic until the point of impact lines up with the center of the bore on the target.It will save a buncha ammo for sighting in,works on bolt guns too
    Hadn't thought to do that; thanks for the tip. Sadly, I did not read this before I went out and sighted in, though I was able to get it with about 15 rounds (still way too many I know, but at least it's there now). Anyway, I'll do that if/when the situation presents itself again in the future.

Well guys and gals, I did it. Yesterday I ordered my spikes tactical st-15 mid length. And thanks to Garret an his awesome customer service my wife is mad at me! Lol! Man I don't even have it yet and already have it tricked out just a bit. I added 1) a battle trigger 2) reducer springs 3) nickle boron bcg 4) magpul pistol grip 5) magpul forend 6) anti rotation pins 7) colored in spider 8) soft case annndd 9) some extra mags!!!! I was done with the order and was like dang this stuff adds up but I can't wait! Now the 3 week wait..... I geuss the sks can do for now!

You're going to love it. Sounds like you tricked it out a bit and bet those extras added up quick! Frankly, I think those extras are how they make their money... LOL

Congrats!!

Mabey so.... I don't know how they produce such a great rifle at that price. All my add ons out the door ffl and all was $1060.00. Not bad in my book

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Mabey so.... I don't know how they produce such a great rifle at that price. All my add ons out the door ffl and all was $1060.00. Not bad in my book
    Heck no... awesome price for an awesome rifle.

I have a realy dumb question... I ordered this rifle and didn't even think about something. Does the spikes St15 midlength have a rail on top with removable handle or handle only?? Sorry I am a complete newbe!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links