Need help with Ar-15!!??

This is a discussion on Need help with Ar-15!!?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If it is this one: http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/...ine-p-443.html it is a removable handle...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Need help with Ar-15!!??

If it is this one: http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/...ine-p-443.html

it is a removable handle
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Thank you so much. Sorry for the real dumb question!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Thank you so much. Sorry for the real dumb question!
    Call them back and get the flip up site instead of the carry handle. It's like $10 more but you will probably never use the carry handle.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Okay, the person who can take a nice, simple AR-15 and load it up with the most stuff wins!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Good for you. I just saw this thread and thought, "God, I hope he doesn't end up with a Bushmaster or DPMS!"… Now, if this is your first AR, be careful with the add ons. It's easy to do and very easy to buy stuff that doesn't give you any real benefit. Get to know your rifle, THEN buy stuff for it.

For now, I'd get rid of the BCG and stick with a standard… I run KAC SR-15's and even though they use the e3 bolts, they're still standard finished BCG's. I put over 2,500 through one of them in three days with only periodic lube and maybe three wipe downs, no failures. The NP3 and other slick coatings are ok, but just extra money if you ask me. What are the reduced power springs? Also, I really doubt you need the anti-rotation pins or the colored in spider, but that's just my opinion. Either way, buy a ton of ammo, and shoot the heck out of it. Get some training too. I like Magpul, but to each his own.

Now, you can go from there. I like hand stops or Magpul AFG's, but find vert grips absolutely useless and too big since I really only rest my pinky on it. I'm sure the battle trigger is fine. I run the KAC 2-stage and the Geiselle SSA. These are the only two I'd ever put in a "battle-ready" rifle. Some guys want a fighting rifle then put a Timney in it. Oh well.

Carry handle, I'd ditch it and go with the Troy Battle sights IF I'm running an optic (I run the T1). If no optic, still ditch the carry handle, but look at Daniel Defense or LMT for a fixed sight that mounts on and is just a little but not much larger than the Troys. No need for folding if you're not running a RDS. Actually, no need for folding even if you're running something like an Aimpoint since having at least the front sight up is a good idea even with non-magnified optics.

The Magpul MOE rail is what you're talking about, right? That's not a bad idea and very inexpensive. You can still mount a light and hand-stop if you'd like and it saves weight. One of the very BEST things you did was go with a mid-length gas system. Many guys don't really know about the benefits, but there are a number of them. Front sight movement (some call it recoil) will be even less than a 16" carbine gas system gun, and it'll most likely be more reliable. A 16" carbine is too much gas and is just not ideal, though very common.

Put a few 75 grain TAP through it to zero it at 50/250 (my preference) then stick with FMJ for the range. 75 grain TAP is one of the best possible rounds for defense.

Well, that's about it. You can go and go and go with these things. A few months ago I got into stippling and stippled a number of KAC rail panels and Magpul XTM panels. For my grip which is far out and over the bore, it works wonders. Enjoy!!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Hi, there. I want to buy an ar 15 M4 and want to know about best ar 15 manufacturers who make good deal in it. It will be good for me to see if you could please refer me prices with pics of model. Thanks in advance.

pretty good vid on ar-15s for noobs.

Choosing the Right AR-15 for You - YouTube

Interesting how things change over a little time... I'm back to vert grips as the AFG's and handstops didn't work out in the long run like I had thought, I prefer the standard GI trigger again, but I still prefer a mid length on a 16", but not AS much as I thought I did.

Interesting stuff.

RockyWillson, as for needing us to refer manufacturers who make good deal in it, what's with the Detroit Gun Works link?
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links