Need help with Ar-15!!??

Need help with Ar-15!!??

This is a discussion on Need help with Ar-15!!?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok here is the deal. I have come upon some money and I want an Ar-15. I have always wanted one and never realy had ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Ar-15!!??

Need help with Ar-15!!??

Ok here is the deal. I have come upon some money and I want an Ar-15. I have always wanted one and never realy had the money laying around for one. I have a couple of questions. 1) is an ar15 worth the $1000 I am about to spend? And 2) for about $1,000 what's my best option. A local gun shop is pushing the s&w m&p moe. I also like bushmaster. But on the other token I could spend $1200 and get a colt. But do I realy get more for the money?? I realy like the idea of having a dark earth Ar to match my dark earth m&p .45 carry gun. Oh yea, the uses are basic home defense and just fun. Thanks in advance!!

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/.... build it and save about 200 bucks

Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    The most popular in your budget are the S&W M&P 15, Bushmaster and Spike's Tactical. If I were you, I would go for the Spike's Tactical since they offer very high quality AR-15's at a fantastic price and you can have some extra cash left over for all the accessories that you will put into it (sling, sight, trigger job, light, etc.).
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

The infamous AR spreadsheet: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...=5&output=html

Figure out what features you need to have, and which ones you want to have.

Be forewarned, AR's are like barbies for men, you never stop accessorizing.

Spikes tactical isn't on that version, but I have heard good things about them.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Sponsor
    Is an AR worth $1000.00? That depends on whether or not you want one bad enough to spend a grand on it doesn't it? I have well over that in my only AR and consider it money well spent. Others would argue with me and still others wouldn't bat an eye at spending twice what I did for one. To each his own.

I re-read your post and see that you already answered this but I'll leave it in to emphasize how important a question it really is.
    This gets said over and over until people quit hearing it, but is true none the less. What do you plan on doing with your AR? What will be it's primary purpose? A once a year range toy, a range toy that gets fired regularly or serious tool that you plan on training with. For the first, any Bushmaster or the like will do. For the latter you want high quality components assembled by someone with a clue as to how to do it right. There are tons of little tricks and tweaks that can make a "good carbine" a true work of art in functional reliability.

IMHO, I would say that the MP15's are a good entry level AR. Much better than Bushy and miles ahead of Olympic or DPMS. You could save a bit and still get what you want by doing some assembly your self.

Check out m4carbine.net there is a chart linked there that shows what some of the most desirable traits are in an AR and where quite a few builders stand in regards to them. This is not the be all end all best rifle list, just a good research tool. And remember, milspec doesn't mean "best" it's just a minimum requirement base line.

Dig in and have fun. The research will be rewarding in it's own right. Oh yeah, be careful what you wish for. Once bitten by the EBR bug there's no going back!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Drop down 5 or 6 threads below this one and read Snowman23's write up on the Spikes rifle. I don't own an AR but if I was in the market for one I would check these out. Nice dark earth parts too.
    SCGunLover1

Mine is a DPMS and I love that thing. Sweet shooting gun.

Take a look at this selection...

http://http://www.dpmsinc.com/
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member
    How are Stags?

DPMS certainly has some nice rifles.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Ok after doing a lot of looking and reading I am realy looking into spikes. I read the reviews and even emailed them. Anyone have anything against them? Any recommended upgrades? I am going with the trigger kit, spring, and hard chrome carrier. Any others? Also any good sights for $150??

get a middy! With a 16" barrel a mid-length gas system makes MUCH more sense than a carbine length gas system... If you are going with a 14.5" and flash suppressor then okay, but with a 16" barrel GO MIDDY!

Oh, and +1 on spikes...

Edit: check out primaryarms.com for some great red dots...
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Don't forget about mags (PMAGs), ammo, and training on use and employment of your new tool. Then think about an optic. +1 on BravoCompany--you won't go wrong with them!
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I am not sure what some of you are saying by "it's a good beginners Ar"??? I mean even a colt is only $200 more. I have looked at Daniel defense. I have looked at bcm? There realy doesn't look like there is that many specs that are different. I mean yea the ones that cost $2000 have more furniture and look pretty but I can add that and truly get what I want?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    I am not sure what some of you are saying by "it's a good beginners Ar"??? I mean even a colt is only $200 more. I have looked at Daniel defense. I have looked at bcm? There realy doesn't look like there is that many specs that are different. I mean yea the ones that cost $2000 have more furniture and look pretty but I can add that and truly get what I want?
    Spikes are not "beginner" rifles. They are full fledged damn fine rifles with no corners cut. Go get you a ST-15 Mid-length LE carbine and you will be in possession of a h3lluv4 fine weapon. Then go learn to shoot it.

Edit: I would recommend you forget about the upgrades and trigger tweaks and all that other crud until you have the weapon in your hands and have fired it a few hundred times. Then decide if you want to change anything.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

Thank you so much chivvalry. I love the info you can get on these forums but it's hard to get one without so much personal feeling involved.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links