Mosin Nagant

This is a discussion on Mosin Nagant within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Cabelas has Russian Surplus Mosin Nagants for sale at $89. I don't know much about these rifles. Its a great price, but the question is, ...

Thread: Mosin Nagant

Question Mosin Nagant

Cabelas has Russian Surplus Mosin Nagants for sale at $89.

I don't know much about these rifles. Its a great price, but the question is,

should I buy?

Any further info or experience on these rifles would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

That's an excellent price for a Mosin Nagant! The cheapest I've seen online is 69.99 but that doesn't include shipping or transfer fee which would likely put it a few bucks above 69.99.

As for personal experience, I've shot several mosins and I own one, they kick hard if you don't hold them correctly, but they are a proven reliable workhorse of a gun. Just don't expect her to shoot 1MOA, more like 3-5 MOA (which is perfectly respectable with surplus ammo) Speaking of which, the ammo is cheap but corrosive, so you'll have to clean her at the very latest the day after a range trip. there is commercial cleaner ammo available but it's vastly more expensive. All in all I'd say buy it, and have yourself a piece of military history that can still kick ass for cheap!

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Very good price and fun to shoot. get one.
    I got an M44 carbine because it is much shorter and more handy, still a heavy bugger though. My brother got a 91/30 and he likes it a lot.
    I get most of my ammo for it here
    http://www.jgsales.com/

there are other good places to get ammo too, I'm sure others will chime in.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Check out http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...id=8736&dir=18 it's a very cheap price for ammo now a days.

I have one. I got some of that cheap, ammo, and picked up some more from a guy that was moving and cleaning house. This is a reliable, and somewhat hefty rifle with a lot of punch. Probably roughly equivalent to a 30-06. With the right ammo (not the military surplus stuff, it should take any big game in North America. But I imagine if you are paying for a hunting trip like that, you probably have a nicer gun.

NOTE: If you go shooting the thing, be SURE to have a very good backstop. Best to have a range with dirt mound, as it will go through a lot of wood or whatever depending on the type of bullet.

Mosin's are the most inexpensive way to get a quality high-powered rifle.

They will get the job done, and tend to have decent accuracy. They kick pretty hard, but they can take a lot of abuse and keep on working.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Definitely buy!

Also, keep in mind that you'll want to look at the manufacture dates on the receiver, and the type of receiver. From 1937 and earlier, 91/30s were produced with "hex" receivers, and from 1937 onward (some 1937s are hex and others not), a cylindrical receiver was used. The pre-WWII Mosins have nicer fit and finish than the wartime products, which may have machine marks and other cosmetic blemishes. They all shoot like champs are are very reliable, but the pre-WWII rifles are definitely worth looking for. At the Cabelas near me, they just had about 40-50 Mosins sitting on a rack. I went through and looked at them all and came away with a 1937 Tula (the Tula factory symbol is a star). The downside was that the receiver was also stamped by the importer. Still, it's a fun shooter.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    So rammerjammer... did you get one? how do you like it?
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

My son gave me a Mosin Nagant M-44 as a gift a few years ago. I think it was less than $100. Not a classic bench rest gun, but they were not designed to be. It shoots fairly accurate groups and is a kick to shoot. I mean that. It kicks like a mule! It has a metal butt place and is the only rifle I've ever fired that bruised my shoulder. I use a slip-on recoil pad now, and the old saying is, if you don't hit the enemy with the bullet, you will still get them with the muzzle blast. Or, you can always skewer them with the bayonet. I don't know if anyone has ever taken a Grizzly with one, but using soft-point Winchester ammo, I bet they would take one down.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

MJK
    I own a Hungarian-made M-44 w/ folding bayonet. At the time I purchased it I bought several thousand rounds of 7.62x54R (Russian-manufacture). This thing kicks like a mule with the steel buttplate, but it's a great design! Reliable, easy to maintain, relatively light and I can drag it through the mud without any problems.

Accuracy with open sights is so-so...may 3-5 MOA. But it's fun and so cheap to shoot I'm loosing money by not pulling the trigger more often.

Go for it!

definatly the cheapest big caliber rifle you can shoot. Love mine. Get the high grain stuff and you get a 3 foot fireball muzzle blast that is a real attention getter at the range.. Just be sure to clean it when you get it, as there is usually a blob of cosmoline here and there. Its a hundred bucks and it works... whats to think about? In the zombie apocolypse you can give it to a friend.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Links