A2 uppers with scope not ideal?

This is a discussion on A2 uppers with scope not ideal? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been working with my AR. I have an A2 upper. I've recently attached a scope to it and zeroed it @ 100yards useing ...

I have been working with my AR. I have an A2 upper. I've recently attached a scope to it and zeroed it @ 100yards useing the lower profile scope rings.

I've read in forums that a scoped A2 is silly, and unrefined. Plus others have mentioned about offset being to much, and just not practical.

I don't get it.

One...the rifle is great with the mounted scope...easy to zero, and darn accurate.

Two...I have iron sights right there below the scope.

I don't have to remove scope, adjust anything on the rifle when going from scope to iron sights.

All I do is adjust my cheek weld....using the scope lower cheek, useing iron sights upper cheek . What so non-ideal about that.

No removing scope, no flipping ups the sights etc.etc.

I do like A3 uppers... not trying to better one over the other, but I just want to know what's so "not ideal" about a scoped A2."

I almost went out and got an A3 upper..but after working with the A2 I don't see the justification.
    Last edited by Frogbones; January 26th, 2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: removed some rambling

VIP Member
    The change in cheek weld is (or can be) a pain, but that's about the only real downside. There was a time when quality mounts for the "carry handle" type uppers were hard to find, but that time is long gone...you can get good, solid mounts from several makers these days.

I ran an optic (inexpensive 3-9X variable scope) on an A1 (in the OPFOR we used these well into the 90's to represent "threat" weapons) for quite a while, and under "combat" conditions, and even back in the "bad old days" I was very happy with the results. I prefer the "flattop" models for their ease of making everything fit the individual in the exact manner that they prefer (and because red dot/holo sights function much better - at least for me - when mounted lower), but don't think that a magnifying optic suffers too greatly by being mounted on the carry handle...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Gotchya....Yes, I do beleive the redots/holo work alot better on flattops...especially if they co-witness with the IS.

Maybe in the near future I'll just build me a new upper with flat top and lowpro gasblock.

Soo many options.....makes me head spin. Drives my wife nuts....talking about the different ways to setup an AR. All she hears and see's is $$ out the window...heh.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    My first AR was an A2, and I had a red-dot mounted on the carry handle for a while. It functioned fine, but I found myself using more of a "jaw-weld" than a cheekweld when looking through the optic. I've since built another AR using a flat-top upper, and equipped it with an Aimpoint CompM4S using a lower 1/3 co-witness with folding front and rear BUIS. Now that I've tried both, I can see why people say an A2 plus optic isn't "ideal". They both work, but it's very nice to be able to shoulder the rifle exactly the same way for both irons and optics.

The other benefit is that with the optic mounted lower and closer to the bore axis, the rifle will have a longer point-blank range than an optic mounted higher up. This is just a geometric effect of the offset between the bore axis and the optical axis created by the eye and the sight.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

For less than $100 you can buy a new stripped flattop upper and install it yourself, it's very easy to do. You have a good bit of offset, but you also have an odd cheek weld. Have you put a number of rounds through it yet and at different ranges (say 50 to 300) in different positions? I just don't know anyone that runs them like that anymore for serious use. If it's a range plinker then I guess it's fine, but for $90 I can't see any reason NOT to fix it.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Upper...r1%20strip.htm
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Links