Looking at a WASR

This is a discussion on Looking at a WASR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I was piddling around in a local pawn shop and (just for kicks) looked at a WASR AK-47 clone. In the past I wouldn't ...

Thread: Looking at a WASR

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

Looking at a WASR

Well I was piddling around in a local pawn shop and (just for kicks) looked at a WASR AK-47 clone. In the past I wouldn't even considor such a primitive cheap looking weapon but this one was different. The fit and finish seemed far better than any other Romy I have encountered. No canted front sight or gas tube. Very little magazine wobble. Has an under folding stock and nice looking wood on the fore grips all for the low price of $389. They also had a somewhat better looking AK clone made by a company I've never heard of (Golden State) for $419. I have already made up my mind to purchase one or the other. Does anyone know anything about the Golden State brand?

2. Remove Ads

$389? I wouldn't do it unless the workmanship was pretty awesome. I bought a Hungarian AMD 65 for 399 brand new from Centerfire Systems. They have alot of ak's for 350-500 bucks.
    I guess what I am saying is, make sure that it is worth it. It may be an ok rifle with an ok price. or...it could be and Awesome rife with an awesome price. Just make sure you know what you are getting!

Re Golden State Arms, check out post #18.

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/762...ad-page-2.html
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    WASR's are great rifles, i own one exactly like that and paid about 150 more for it, you should snag it while u got the chance
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

WASR's generally go for around $400. So $389 is on par with what you'll find online. They really can be great guns if you can inspect them before you buy. Mine I'd have no trouble trusting with my life if it was needed. I am however wanting to sell it to help fund an Arsenal AK though.

I'm not familiar with the Golden State one though.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

ErnieNWillis , you should go back to the pawn shop and have a closer look, from what I understand from my limited research is that a lot of GSA's AK's were Chinese (Norinco) type. And that being the case would be worth vastly more than a WASR. Also GSA has been out of business I believe since 1995. Which would make the Chinese copy theory very possible. I'd say take a chance and buy GSA, if you're wrong you can easily trade it in the future for a WASR.

++ Check to see if the rifle has a permanent folding bayonet, or a slot where one used to be, seems like alot of the GSA imports weren't just Chinese they were milled Chinese. Buy that ASAP! (if that's the case)

The Golden State was gone so I bought thre WASR 10/63 with a 1974 date (year I was born). Has the triangle with arrow if that means anything. Seems really sturdy no rattle at all and magazine locks in tight with no back and forth or side to side movement. Next I'll duracoat it and refinish the wood.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Got my Century Arms WASR for $350 with a good bit of 7.62 surplus ammo, and two mags! No mag wobble, good fit and fitness, great weapon!

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Good rifles. Doesn't everyone have a safe with 5-6 of them burried in the back yard just incase?????
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Took it to the range Sunday and burned off 120 rounds without the slightest hickkup. I hate to admit it but is is a lot more fun to shoot than my AR. I thought the underfolding stock might prove uncomfortable but the recoil wasn't bad at all. So far no regrets!

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    WASRs are hit and miss. Most of them are miss. If you find a jewel, it is not a great rifle, it's just an okay rifle.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Glad you like the rifle. Wish I could like AK's I had one once and not a fan of the ergonomics or sight picture/radius. But if you enjoy it more than your AR, more power to you! enjoy and be safe.

Links