Lever-action for car carry - Page 2

Lever-action for car carry

This is a discussion on Lever-action for car carry within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I actually do have a Mosin-Nagant in 7.62 x 54, but I've heard that that rifle shell is no longer made. Where could I get ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lever-action for car carry

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I actually do have a Mosin-Nagant in 7.62 x 54, but I've heard that that rifle shell is no longer made. Where could I get ammo for it?

Surplus ammo is all over the place, and several companies like S&B, Monarch, and Wolf make new production non corrosive ammo. Last time I bought some from sportsmansguide.com, I think I paid 1.60 per box of 20. Theres plenty of ammo for it around. The problem with using a full power rifle like that is over-penetration on soft and hard targets alike. ( the mil-surp from russia has a solid steel core...it will punch through 1'' and thicker steel)
    Fear No Evil.

Have to go along with the Winchester '94 in a .357, I love mine and it shoots real good.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Why not just get a shotgun? For carry in car, I'd just pick up a pistol-grip pump 12gauge.

That said, I have winchester 30-30, great rifle, always works. But, I would never use one for in-home self defense, again the shotgun just has too advantages in that situation as well.

You can't go wrong with a 30/30. I prefer Marlin to Winchester, But with the addition of Hornady's Lever Evolution ammo it will take the 30/30 into a whole new ballistics relm.Whichever make and model you choose.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

Sponsor
    P95Carry;

How do you find that dot on the top of yours works being so high off the bore line? Can you get any cheekweld with that? It appears to be see through mounting and I'd like to hear whether you use the sights or is that set up just a fail safe backup for the Dot going bellyup?

Whats the dot in MOA you are using?

Thanks

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I highly recommend not doing anything illegal....
    the court doesnt care about ignorance, so be sure to gain 1st hand information regarding carry laws, peaceable journey, etc....
    one mistake can lead to a lifetime of grief....
    that being said, I vote .45-70....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I have to agree with the 30-30 crowed here. Fine caliber, ammo is abundant and a great deer rifle for those bushy areas of southwest Mo.Also keep in mind that the pistol calibers are not going to carry the punch of a rifle caliber.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

OD*
    Also keep in mind that the pistol calibers are not going to carry the punch of a rifle caliber.
    You can get dang close, check out the tables at Sundles, Buffalo Bore Ammunition, http://www.buffalobore.com/
    and Garrett's .44s, http://www.garrettcartridges.com/products.asp
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Assistant Administrator
    Brownie,

Yes that red dot is very high off bore axis - more than I would wish actually. Only reason it is so extreme is that the see-thru mounts were on the gun when I got it and are fitted into tapped holes. Was reluctant to make more holes for preferred mounts.

I used to have a small scope on it but decided to try the red dot - not so sure I might not go back to scope again.

I can usefully use the iron sights yes - and they make a good back-up if red dot were to fail but do find that being such a small gun, for me, I find it uncomfortable to get down so low to achieve the iron sights sight line.

Tho the red dot is so high I have no cheek weld problem. In fact almost all my long arms are too short for my build and so - I have few these days without some sort of ancillary sighting system. Add to that old eyes too .

That red dot is IIRC a 4 MOA - and keeping it sighted for 50 yards with my homeloads (14 grns N-110 pushing a gas check 158 SWC hardcast) - it performs pretty well and my correction for 100 yards is easy - and that's about as far as I push the range.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Yes that red dot is very high off bore axis - more than I would wish actually. Only reason it is so extreme is that the see-thru mounts were on the gun when I got it and are fitted into tapped holes. Was reluctant to make more holes for preferred mounts.
    that shouldnt be an issue bud , heck if you cant find mounts I will bet one of us who own mills ( on one of the forums anyway if you let everyone know you need ) would cut you mounts so you did not need to worry about it lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    Bob - I still have my lathe, on which I can do small milling jobs OK on a vertical slide - so no probs there really. I am just I guess reluctant to further alter things with further machining or drilling and tapping.

Thing is - tho a tad fugly it does work OK, for me - and the gun does not see really high useage - it's just there for when wanted and shoots well OK - so doubt I'll change that myself now, other than as I said, possibly reverting to a small scope again.

Bit of ''if it ain't broke ..........'' sorta deal
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

taurus has some awesome pump rifles and carbines in pistol calibers too

(thought I would muddy the waters with another option )

Muddying the waters even more: I understand that the old movie prop from the 50 & 60's series with Steve McQueen "Wanted: Dead or Alive" is now out and available in an actual firearm. It was a sawed off 30-30 lever action with a short barrel and a short grip. Can be had in 45 LC and 30-30. THAT might make a great truck gun!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

OD*
    MARES LEG

http://www.jbcustom.com/new-mares.htm

Jim also offers it built on '94 actions (I'm not sure he offers his version in 30/30). They are not "cut-down" rifles, but are built as such on virgin receivers as handguns, no Class III paper work.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Sponsor
    OD,

Nice link, I'd be interestred in one of those in the future.

ExSoldier;

I remember McQueen in that show, always liked his characters.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links