Lever-action for car carry

This is a discussion on Lever-action for car carry within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My friends, I have a dilemma..a pleasant one no doubt, but still a dilemma. Since I just turned 18, in Missouri, I can carry a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lever-action for car carry

Lever-action for car carry

My friends, I have a dilemma..a pleasant one no doubt, but still a dilemma.

Since I just turned 18, in Missouri, I can carry a long gun (shotgun or rifle) loaded, and I thinking about getting a good lever-action rifle in a handgun caliber. Now here's the first question: What make/model/caliber/and barrel length would you guys recommend? I was thinking about a 16 1/2 in. barrel, but some guys told me that the recoil would be way too powerful for a practical camping/self defense firearm.

I drive a Taurus SE that looks more like an LX. Now, most of the time I plan on keeping the lil fella in locked up in the trunk, but if high-alert time came and I needed it close, where would you recommend keeping it in the car for quick access?

Thanks a bunch beforehand,
    Risque007

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    You CAN have a loaded rifle in your vech. ??

A short bbl lever's recoil is nothing. Please don't be concerned about that.

For me it would be :::: a 16" bbl. Marlin,Winchester,OR,Rossi Puma. These in a pistol caliber for the short stroke and mag capacity. The weapon to be fitted with a ghost ring rear and a fiber optic front. Also stock(LOP) cut down to the bare minimum but still being able to maintain a good cheek weld. This usually 12.5-13 inches(or so). Even shorter if it works for you.

Also,the reason that I added the Rossi Puma in there,is that I have one, and you can too, in......454 Casull. This in SS also.Or you can choose the .480 Ruger if you want LESS power.

Take a look at these three. For a vech weapon I see no need to have a longer bbl in .444 Marlin or .45-70(far less mag cap also).

Good luck lookin'. Let us know what you decide on. -------

Assistant Administrator
    I have some levers and would suggest if you can find one a Win 94 in .357 - recoil is ever so manageable and the gun well exploits the full potential of the round IMO. My Marlin in .44 is nice too but much longer.

IIRC Savage offer some real nice levers too.

Browse GunsAmerica or Gunbroker - see what's out there and prices. May not be over cheap but a good investment I think.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    In Pistol cal rifles ( non semi auto ) I would honestly suggest that you shop arround a bit and see if you can find an Israli IMI Timberwolf . Its a pump action in .38 special / .357 mag . Mine fed anything and would shoot into a half inch at 50 yards with most ammo . Sadly once an attorney friend of mine shot it he offered me more than i could resist at the time for it lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Ive got a Winchester 94 ranger saddle ring carbine, in .44mag. That would make a pretty sweet and handy little rifle, and who can argue with a .44 mag.
    Fear No Evil.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Hard to go wrong with any of the choices. I used to use a Winchester '94 .357. I sold it, and don't know why, exactly.

Then I got a Winchester '94 in .44 Mag. Great little rifle for the purpose you've mentioned. I employed it for that until my youngest daughter started deer hunting, so I outfitted it with a scope and it stands at the ready for her.

Sweet, reliable, handy, fast-handling weapon.

Since then, I've used one or more of my many, many Mosins in the truck.

And that (because they're so friggin' cheap and tough) might be something to consider.

In lever actions I have always been partial to the Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70.

How are you at 18 going to convince a store or dealer to sell you handgun ammo?????

30 30 would serve you better, and you can legally buy your own ammo.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KC135
    How are you at 18 going to convince a store or dealer to sell you handgun ammo?????

Roger that.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Since then, I've used one or more of my many, many Mosins in the truck.

And that (because they're so friggin' cheap and tough) might be something to consider.
    I actually do have a Mosin-Nagant in 7.62 x 54, but I've heard that that rifle shell is no longer made. Where could I get ammo for it?

Simple, I'm gonna walk up to the guy at wal-mart, look him in the eyes, and, using my "jedi mind trick" I'm gonna tell him to give me the ammo..and at half price!! haha j/k.

I actually have bought .38 ammo before (Some people say I look a bit older than my age), and my family seems to prefer .38/.357 calibers so I have plenty of bullets. But your 30-30 does have appeal in that it makes an excellent all-around cartridge for defense and for hunting. Are there any lower-powerd rounds I could use for home defense? What is the average price on 30-30 ammo?

P95 -- Thanks for those pics, you're a great photographer and you definitely sold me on that '94. Do you recommend scoping it?

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

Man, Oh, Man....there are truckloads of 7.62 X 54 ammo out there!

Well, you've got two kinds of ammo for the 7.62 X54. Modern and surplus.

As the mordern stuff goes, you have Sellier & Bellot, Winchester and Wolf. I'm told that the Winchester ammo is Sellier & Bellot ammo that has been re-labeled.

Other brands of modern production 7.62 X 54 ammo are Igman, Prvi Partizan, Olympic and some Russian brands like Barnaul, Silver Bear and Brown Bear. Norma also makes it.

Igman makes 150-grain soft points, Prvi Partizan makes 150- and 180-grain fmj, Barnaul makes 203 grain soft points, and Brown and Silver Bear (I believe) make 185-grain fmj. Norma makes 150- and 180-grain soft point.

With soft point ammo, I prefer to stay with the 150-grain offerings. Mosins were designed to shoot 147 or 148-grain ammo, and 150 is pretty close.

Of course, each rifle's mileage can vary a great deal.

The Norma stuff costs an arm and a leg, and as far as I can tell, it isn't noticeably more accurate than the other stuff.

I'd think that one or other of your local gun shops would have one variety or another of this stuff. Wolf or Winchester, in particular. There are dozens of sources online, too. Sportman's Guide and Cabela's have some.

Speaking of Sportman's Guide, they have both some modern stuff (Wolf) and some varieties of surplus, last time I checked.

You have a dizzying and very, very inexpensive variety of surplus ammo available. It's all FMJ, but fun to shoot. Most of it is corrosive (which sounds much worse than it actually is- it means you need to squirt your rifle's barrel and action down with Windex after a range session).

And that surplus stuff is available all over the place. To name some of the bigger suppliers, you've got J&G Sales, Southern Ohio Gun Works, and AIM Surplus.

And, that 7.62 X 54 surplus is a LOT cheaper than most other ammo. A lot.

OD*
    I use one of these two

30WCF

or .45 Colt.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Sponsor
    I'd suggest going here and reading before deciding on a lever gun for the truck in pistol calibers.

http://shootersforum.com/forumdisplay.htm?f=61

The win 94's action is made for rifle calibers and there are a lot of reports on that lever forum that they are finicky with a lot of loads in pistol calibers.

That said, I carry a Winchester 94 20" barrel made 1982 [ no safety button ] in WCF [ 30-30 ] in the truck. It was a hard decision as I also have a 44mag Marlin lever that constantly begs to go there in it's place.

After much reading on ballistics between the pistol calibers and the 30-30 I chose to go with the rifle caliber for the truck gun. Read some on that site and then decide would be my suggestion.

I've got an EMF Rossi with no safety button on order from Steve Young in SS, 20" round barrel in .357 caliber. That caliber in a 20" barrel gets 1800-1900 fps and really makes the 357 shine ballistically. Energy will be about 1700 out the tube which is close to 30-30 ballistics. Mine will be stoked with Buffalo Bore 157gr loadings.

If you are unfamiliar with Buffalo Bore, check their site as well. Serious loads in all major calibers.

My suggestion would of course be the 30-30 lever in Win or Marlin guise.

Edited to add: Mine sits with 6 in the tube, none in the chamber in the truck with a butt sleeve holding 8 more on tap. There's another 6 on a belt sleeve next to it which can snap on the belt in short order if I need to leave the truck any distance as well. Thats a box of 20 on tap and there's another box of 20 under the drivers seat with some 9mm and 45acp.

Edited to add: The guys on that site who live and breath the levers for the most part tell us that the Winny has a two stage lever and thats why it has problems with straight wall cartirdges.

They also said you can get them that have no issues and others just will not function properly without major work. You get lucky or you don't with the pistol calibers in Winny 94's

Brownie
    Last edited by AzQkr; July 17th, 2006 at 01:03 AM.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

OD*
    I've never had a moments trouble with any of my '94s chambered in .45 Colt.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Lightbulb Check the Laws...

Quote Originally Posted by Risque007
    Since I just turned 18, in Missouri, I can carry a long gun (shotgun or rifle) loaded, and I thinking about getting a good lever-action rifle in a handgun caliber. Now, most of the time I plan on keeping the lil fella in locked up in the trunk, but if high-alert time came and I needed it close, where would you recommend keeping it in the car for quick access?
    First off, check the laws in your state. When I was 18 here in Florida, you couldn't buy ammo that was commonly available for both handguns and rifles. That included 22LR. I could buy 12 ga all day long or .30-06 but nothing in a 45. So look out.

Next, I would take my Winchester M94 .30-30 over any handgun round for reach and hitting power as well as a nice comforting light thump in recoil! I hated my Winchester M94 in .357 because the recoil was unpleasant and the accuracy was not near what I got from the venerable thutty thutty.

You might take a look at the Cabelas catalog. They offer a rack that fits above your windshield visors to hold rifles. Nice and out of sight but quickly available.

If you are allowed by law to purchase pistol ammo, you might also check into the Kel-Tec folding CARBINE in 9mm. I used to have one of those and loved it. Currently own the 40 S&W version and don't like it so much. Except the fact that it folds neatly in half to about 18 inches in length. and unfolds in a matter of moments. It's very quick and I have a 29rd high cap mag for it, and it takes standard Glock mags for the M23 & M22.

Still for the value and the utility...you can't (IMHO) beat the .30-30 lever action. Either a Winchester or a Marlin or even a Henry.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links