New S&W M&P15 Sport????? - Page 2

New S&W M&P15 Sport?????

This is a discussion on New S&W M&P15 Sport????? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The dust cover is the little door that covers the ejection port on a standard AR. As Jang pointed out, its not really needed for ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: New S&W M&P15 Sport?????

Administrator
    The dust cover is the little door that covers the ejection port on a standard AR. As Jang pointed out, its not really needed for 99.9% of the typical AR shooter as long as they are being honest with themselves about the actual usage of their gun. Yes, you are correct about the rail system location. They typically replace the hand guard. Don't worry about adding one, its not needed unless you are spending money to give the illusion of skill.
    A forward assist is not needed either, but they are nice to have. Don't worry about it, you can't add one anyway without a new upper receiver. Shoot the snot out of your new toy and enjoy it as is. Upgrade it as needed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I am looking forward to getting it when they come in. I just happen to come across a M&P AR15-22 with bipod and case for $400. I pick it up tomorrow. My kids will love the hell of it.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bet1277 View Post
    I am looking forward to getting it when they come in. I just happen to come across a M&P AR15-22 with bipod and case for $400. I pick it up tomorrow. My kids will love the hell of it.
    I just took a look at one this afternoon. It seems like its a good rifle for the money. I'm sure you'll have fun with it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It looks like a great value to me if you want a standard AR. I almost bought one for $650 but $650 wasn't in my budget. I ended up getting a similar styled rifle S&W M&p15-22. I believe everyone should own a 22 rifle (not necessarily this model. Plenty of much cheaper options). My local gun shop stated that they would take the S&W M&P Sport over the other budget ARs they had which I think was a Panther and a DPMS (I am just recalling these names but I am not sure).

bet1277

For the average civilian shooter the dust cover is NICE but not needed. Most shooters arent going to be crawling around in a swap and muck water and most likely will not be tossing it in to a mud puddle to see if it will shoot afterwards. As for the forward assist again it is a NICE thing to have . . . in a combat situation. . . What it allows for is getting the BCG (blot carrier group) to go fully in to battery in the off chance that it won't by its self. Now to your rail system the option you would have for that would be a carbine lenght rail system ( about 200 companies make one) and it would be mounted between the frontsight/gasblock and the Delta ring ( the black ring just in front of the mag well.) You could also (after a few other modifications) mount a full length handgaurd/rail system but this would mean you would have to remove the frontsight/gasblock and install a low profile gasblock.

If you have other questions feel free to ask away
    Kahr CW9, Sig Sauer P226 SCT 9mm, Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm, FNH FNP .45 Tactical
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

I am new to the AR game. I am interested in the M&P 15 sport as an entry to the scene. I do like the smooth,round, front hand gaurds, can these be installed on this model? What limitations does the solid trigger gaurd have? How hard is it to take the front and rear sight off to add a scope, or other optics? I just want something to take to the range and shoot. Thanks

rayd

Yes the smooth round front hand gaurds can be mounted to this weapon. The down side of it is you will have to reaplace the front sight/aframe sight with a low profile gas block to do so. Thses can be found from places like Troy Industries. If you wannted to leave the front sight on you could still add a scope to it. After mounting 200+ scopes to ARs with a front sight post still on i can tell you the MOST good 3-9x40 or highrer powered scopes seem to look "through" the sight post.
    Kahr CW9, Sig Sauer P226 SCT 9mm, Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm, FNH FNP .45 Tactical
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

I bought one a few weeks ago. Three range trips, 200 rounds downrange, no problems. Smith put a surprising amount of quality into the weapon for the price. 1:8 twist in a 5R melonite coated barrel (similar wear resistance to chrome lining, but no dimensional issues). M4 feed ramps, flat top T marked upper with dual aperture rear sight. F marked front sight base. Bolt carrier and gas key interiors are chrome lined and the gas key appears properly staked.

I ordered and installed a carry handle in place of the rear sight. Will try to sight that in this weekend.

New member here. Just sighted in my sport. Used BVAC 62gr. softpoint. Five shots at 100 yards. 5 mph wind coming from back left. Shoots good enough for me. Last shot was low left. I'm sure it was shooter error. Have only been shooting rifles for about six weeks now. This is my first rifle. Scope was 4X16 40mm. going ro use the rifle for Prarie Dogs, and fun plinking.
    Attached Images
    xXMens ReaXx likes this.

Is this a free floated barrel? Can it be made so if I wanted to do it?

I don't have an AR yet, but have been itchin' to have one. I wouldn't expect this carbine to be everything a match-grade tack driver should be, but wondering if it has a free-float barrel or if the hand guard could be swapped some day if I wanted to do so and free float it. I also wonder about the A2 front sight. Can it be removed or replaced or is it part of the barrel assembly that would require a smith? Can a dust cover be fitted?
    Sorry for the newbie Q's. I don't mind it the way it is, but I'm just wondering how hard it may be to work on and upgrade down the road if I wanted to do so.
    Last edited by skunkworks; May 16th, 2011 at 12:17 PM.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Putting the free float tube on the sport is the same as any other AR. You must use a low profile gas block in it's place. If you have never done it before I would recomend letting a gunsmith do it. It is not difficult, but if you do not line up the gas ports it can wreak havoc with the opperation of your rifle. I have seen vidioes of people cutting down their A2 sights but I would never modify a part. I have niether the experience or the experties of a gunsmith. As far as the sport being a tack driver, my sport is better than the operator. look at the attached image a couple of replies ago. I hope I am good enough to repeat that again.

M&P 15 sport

Recently purchased one. Was looking @ the full tilt M&P w/dust cover, fwd assist ect. You can buy TWO sports for the price of the full spec model. The iron sights work very well (but dont fold), golf ball size groups @ 50yds with battle sights isnt too bad @ all. The rear can be removed and there is plenty of rail to mount an optic. Was looking @ an Aimpoint T1 micro red dot but recently saw a very favorable review of the Vortex Sparc. It comes with the mount to co-witness the existing sight, and has features you have to pay extra for with the aimpoint @ 3 times the cost. No doubt the aimpoint is a better product, at least you would hope for the price $$$. Have run several hundred rounds through this gun without a hitch. It's a great value and I hope S&W sell a ton of them. Also considering a nikon .223 scope for Coyotes. Anyone tried this combo yet????
    Good shooting everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    It is a very basic carbine.

For persons who absolutely are price oriented but still do want to have an AR to 'plink' with.
    This is IMHO the gun that the vast majority of Americans actually want/should have.

No extras that they very likely will never use nor have need for.

No SWAT or GI-JOE add-ons for the mall ninjas and those who imagine themself as going to fight terrorists at the mall or among foreign lands.
    What do you need a dust cover for when the cover is always open as when in use AND the vast majority of shooters are doing so on public ranges in lanes shooting off of benches or off-hand and not swimming belly down under concertina wire with their gun forward or dragged behind?
    The cover is closed while being stored in the average persons gun safe or closet...Against cob webs not jungle dust & dirt.

No garbage adding largely unnecessary weight such as hey look I'm cool just like everybody else rails to put nothing on but rail covers and maybe a light that never gets used because most public ranges are closed at night (outdoor) and those that are indoor are illuminated and do not allow handling of guns with the lights out.

Standard sights that are just fine even as they are not name branded and thus up-priced by some third party vendor (as things had been for decades prior to the late '90s!) so that the shooter can actually learn and practice iron sighting fundamentals.
    They don't fold down either because that just adds additional not absolutely necessary for a civilians range use expense.

Also this beats those build it yourself priced packages out there as the gun comes fully assembled with a lifetime warranty, and a magazine.

The 'Sport' is a common mans rifle priced for the common man outfitted for the _common man_, who has not convinced himself that he needs a sighting system that is equal to or greater than the cost of the rifle itself (ACOG, Elcan Specter, etc.) in order to hit a static (!) target at an average indoor or outdoor range.
    Also for those among the majority who pretty much never shoot their gun but just leave it behind a door or locked in a safe they willbe able tohave and say to their friends they have an 'AR' without having tied up a thousand or more bucks into same.

With a retail of $709 (and nobody but fools pay MSRP), I'd expect to see this gun running near $600 street.
    That is where things should be.

For those who reeeally feel they need to have a dust cover they can add one, or choose to upgrde to the full tacti-cool 'VTAC' model for $1,989 retail.
    Product: Model M&P15VTAC

- Janq
    Janq, I have always thought of you as a no BS, say it like it is kind of guy and brother you did not disappoint this time! You said all that needed to be said and everything I was thinking as well! The average Joe who wants an AR for home defense doesn't need 99% of the "tacticool" crap that they hang on their AR. I think this is a perfect HD gun for anyone. I'm pretty sure Clint Smith, a believer in the keep it simple principle would love this gun.

I am planning on getting a few of these as finances allow. Each of my kids will have one if I can afford it. This looks to be a great gun at a great price.

I have always believed that everyone should have at least one good battle rifle. AR or AK or similar. This fits the bill for nearly everyone.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

If you have a round that won't chamber because you been shooting lots of ammo in a firefight and the chambers getting dirty then the Forward assist will keep you banging out rounds,If the round won't chamber because it's a little out of specs,the FA will get it really stuck
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I just found a great write up on this one. I have been looking at one too, but was discouraged by the lack of the forward assist. However, after watching/reading this I think I may make the move for one too:

Gun Review: Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport | The Truth About Guns

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links