New S&W M&P15 Sport????? - Page 3

New S&W M&P15 Sport?????

This is a discussion on New S&W M&P15 Sport????? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been looking into the issues some people have with this carbine not having the forward assist. I guess the gist of this is if ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: New S&W M&P15 Sport?????

I've been looking into the issues some people have with this carbine not having the forward assist. I guess the gist of this is if you are rounding a corner & a bad guy pops out of an alley with an RPG and a round hangs, it might be nice to be able the force feed the round and fire. If I'm @ the range & a round hangs up, I'm just going to clear the round and take the time to verify the firearm is safe to continue to shoot. My marine corp buddies have told me of a few instances (in combat) where a round has been "seated" (so they thought) with the assist. The rotating bolt did not fully lock and BOOM. I would assume this senario would require a worn bolt carrier assy. If I'm faced with an active fire fight, I'd run that round home & take the shot, but recreational shooting, no way. Maybe the forward assist is popular with the crowd who thinks a gun should be cleaned once a year. The lack of the M4 barrel contour is a plus for accuracy as barrel whip is an issue with the M4. Another complaint is the lower trigger guard bar is not a drop out or more importantly, replaceable. Funny thing is, the most popular trigger guard is the mag-pul, which is shaped like the sport. Just a tad deeper. BTW, I put a Vortex SPARC red-dot on this weekend & am very satisfied. Before I plunked down my money I called Vortex to see what thier warranty was really like. Their policy is if the optic fails, they fix it. Period. I set the dot @ the top of the front blade and went to the range and fired 3 rounds @ 50 ft to see how close it was. 3 clicks of left windage and I was done. 6 30rd p-mags full with no issues. The doubler is no sniper optic (very narrow field of view) but it worked quit well. I'll rarely use it but I'll keep it in my pack. Anyone mounted a Nikon M223 tacticle scope on an AR? I'm thinking a low profile gas block would be a plus with this optic.

Great site, i picked up one yesterday, likes the American Eagle Tactical XM193, 55 grain bullet. Not problems, shoots great. Was curious how difficult is to replace the gas block with a low profile? New to shooting AR rifles. Also, has anyone tried using the high rise type scope mounts?
    I recently purchased a sig sauer 522 for my son, we put a center point 2-7 illuminated reticle scope on it and that baby will drill the bullseye, curious on what would be the best way to mount a scope like this on the smith and wesson.
    Any pictures, advice would be great. Also has anyone tried the wolf ammo? I was at walmart this afternoon and they have a Tula Ammo in 223 for only 4.97 a box. Anyone tried that ammo, the gun shop where i picked up the American Eagle said he sold it but would not recommend it due to fact it is metal case and has a finish on it that can gum up your gun. Another friend of mine shoots the wolf through his sig 556 all the time without a problem. Hate to ask so many questions, but trying to learn as much as i can. Really like the sport model, another friend of mine is a former sheriff and just retired from the ATF and said he has never had to use the forward assist and he has been shooting AR rifles for years, so not having it does not really bother me. If you go to a web site, thetruthaboutguns.com, they show a video of how the original AR stype rifles did not have the forward assist and what to do if you ever have the need. Thanks

A review on the M&P Sport used at Gunsite Training in Arizona at thetruthaboutguns.com.

Gun Review: Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport | The Truth About Guns

Not having a forward assist did not seem to bother the reviewer.

I think this is one the the best reviews I have ever read.

Thank you JANQ

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    It is a very basic carbine.

For persons who absolutely are price oriented but still do want to have an AR to 'plink' with.
    This is IMHO the gun that the vast majority of Americans actually want/should have.

No extras that they very likely will never use nor have need for.

No SWAT or GI-JOE add-ons for the mall ninjas and those who imagine them self as going to fight terrorists at the mall or among foreign lands.
    What do you need a dust cover for when the cover is always open as when in use AND the vast majority of shooters are doing so on public ranges in lanes shooting off of benches or off-hand and not swimming belly down under concertina wire with their gun forward or dragged behind?
    The cover is closed while being stored in the average persons gun safe or closet...Against cob webs not jungle dust & dirt.

No garbage adding largely unnecessary weight such as hey look I'm cool just like everybody else rails to put nothing on but rail covers and maybe a light that never gets used because most public ranges are closed at night (outdoor) and those that are indoor are illuminated and do not allow handling of guns with the lights out.

Standard sights that are just fine even as they are not name branded and thus up-priced by some third party vendor (as things had been for decades prior to the late '90s!) so that the shooter can actually learn and practice iron sighting fundamentals.
    They don't fold down either because that just adds additional not absolutely necessary for a civilians range use expense.

Also this beats those build it yourself priced packages out there as the gun comes fully assembled with a lifetime warranty, and a magazine.

The 'Sport' is a common mans rifle priced for the common man outfitted for the _common man_, who has not convinced himself that he needs a sighting system that is equal to or greater than the cost of the rifle itself (ACOG, Elcan Specter, etc.) in order to hit a static (!) target at an average indoor or outdoor range.
    Also for those among the majority who pretty much never shoot their gun but just leave it behind a door or locked in a safe they will be able to have and say to their friends they have an 'AR' without having tied up a thousand or more bucks into same.

With a retail of $709 (and nobody but fools pay MSRP), I'd expect to see this gun running near $600 street.
    That is where things should be.

For those who reeeally feel they need to have a dust cover they can add one, or choose to upgrade to the full tacti-cool 'VTAC' model for $1,989 retail.
    Product: Model M&P15VTAC

- Janq

I think this rifle is a fine choice for anyone looking for a basic plinker. Now, we need to keep in mind that it's not just the forward assist that's lacking. There are other things involved here like using cheaper barrel steel and a cheaper, less durable anodizing. I wear out type III anodizing pretty quick.

I'm not saying this is a bad rifle and it's probably a fine choice for someone that plans on getting it out to the range once in a while to fire a handful of rounds. I really wouldn't miss the forward assist, though I would miss the dust cover as my guns get filthy and though they'll still run if lubed properly, it's nice to stop some dirt and dust from getting in.

Again, and this is just for me, but I go through barrels rather quickly and I've experienced a few things... A standard barrel will outlast a SS barrel, a chf barrel will outlast a standard and for some reason, a KAC chf will outlast a standard chf barrel. Now, it's not that simple. What we really need to be concerned about is not how long the barrel will last but how soon it's accuracy starts to open. I have over 15,000 through one of my Knight's Armaments and it's as accurate as day one. I noticed my accuracy degrading on my Noveske chf barrel after about 7,000 rounds. At best, it was a 4 MOA barrel when it started out as just over a 1 MOA barrel.

Now, these barrels are all made of 11595-e which is a type of 4150. The S&W's barrels are made of 4140. Does this mean anything to most? I doubt it... But, after experiencing what I have with numerous barrels, I'd rather have the better quality barrel that's chrome lined so I have a little longer before my accuracy degrades and the barrel needs replaced.

If you plan on only shooting 2,000 rounds a year, your barrel may hold it's accuracy for 3 years or so. If you buy a higher quality rifle with a higher quality barrel for maybe $250 or $300 more than the MSRP of the S&W, you could get an additional 3 years out of it before you notice any drop in accuracy.

Also, all this talk about accessories for mall ninjas is ridiculous. Most people that say things like that are quite old or have very little experience anywhere but an indoor range with the AR.

A quality red dot sight will hold zero through hard use and even removal and remounting. It will also allow you to get on target and follow up much faster no matter who you are and how good you shoot with irons.

A longer rail will free float your barrel, making your rifle more accurate not to mention how much more control you have with an extended grip.

A vert grip gives you more control period. It also allows for more support on most barricades.

A light.... Do I really need to explain why this is so important to many people? I shoot quite often at night plus my rifles often have a defensive role.

Now there are things like IR and visible lasers. Some guys might not see a need or want to spend the money on this. That's perfectly fine. But if you do, you need a quality rail to mount it on. We do a ton of night shooting and night hunting. A laser and NV make that so much easier and more enjoyable. Not to mention many of the guys I work with on training use them quite often and consider it a must. I know many guys that use them for hobby, and again, it makes night shooting for them much better and more enjoyable.

Sure, there are many guys out there that shoot a few rounds now and then and need nothing more than a basic carbine and maybe a cheap RDS. There are also a number of guys that need or just want better quality. That in NO WAY makes them mall ninjas unless they never use the accessories and only buy it to look cool in pics.

I could get by with a basic carbine with nothing but irons, but I'll be slower and less accurate no matter how hard I push myself on irons. I would lose the ability to see at night which would limit my ability to accurately identify my target whether a person, a hog or coyote or a pop up target that's a shoot/no shoot.
    OD* likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Jonconsiglio,

What is your take on the M&P 15 sports lower? Most of the talk with regards to the higher quality materials being used in the more expensive brands revolve around the uppers or components of the uppers. Could an M&P 15 sport lower function just a well as a higher end lower, with a higher end upper?

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    Jonconsiglio,

What is your take on the M&P 15 sports lower? Most of the talk with regards to the higher quality materials being used in the more expensive brands revolve around the uppers or components of the uppers. Could an M&P 15 sport lower function just a well as a higher end lower, with a higher end upper?
    From what I've seen, S&W uses the same lower on all their rifles, so my guess is the internal are fine. My concern would be the anodizing which is not a type III. I'm not sure what they're using, but if it's not type III, it's less durable.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Damn the nearest cabellas is 140 miles away. Anyone want to buy one and send it to me?
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Check out Grant at GandRTactical and have it shipped to your local ffl. It'll end up being cheaper than Cabela's most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Check out Grant at GandRTactical and have it shipped to your local ffl. It'll end up being cheaper than Cabela's most likely.
    out of stock on most S&W models
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Just ordered one from gunsforall.com woot woot. Has it been 10 days yet?
    - George Orwell Military

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    Just ordered one from gunsforall.com woot woot. Has it been 10 days yet?
    Never mind after my confirmation email I received another email saying that they are out of stock. Apparently they do this quite a bit.
    - George Orwell Military

Bought one

I bought one today and am looking forward to trying it at the range. It got great reviews and goes along with my thinking of simple is better. I don't like devices and trinkets on my firearms. I believe tactical is performance in front of the muzzle and not behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by diverwcw View Post
    I bought one today and am looking forward to trying it at the range. It got great reviews and goes along with my thinking of simple is better. I don't like devices and trinkets on my firearms. I believe tactical is performance in front of the muzzle and not behind it.
    Where did you get yours?
    - George Orwell Military

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    Never mind after my confirmation email I received another email saying that they are out of stock. Apparently they do this quite a bit.
    I would request a refund

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links