New S&W M&P15 Sport????? - Page 5

New S&W M&P15 Sport?????

This is a discussion on New S&W M&P15 Sport????? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey Ya'll, new to the forum. I just put a sport on lay-a-way, I can spring her in October. Looking forward to some range time. ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: New S&W M&P15 Sport?????

Can't Wait

Hey Ya'll, new to the forum. I just put a sport on lay-a-way, I can spring her in October. Looking forward to some range time. I have the 15-22, high velosity ammo is a must and she has never missed a beat......love it.

I have been issued M16A1's, M16A2's and 3 different M4's. M16's were ok, but I am sure the age and prior armory storage maintenance of the M16's contributed to a lot of jams and failure to fire situations. All of the issued M4's always went boom when I squeezed the trigger and were just as accurate for targets out to 300 meters. From the reviews and forums, I do not expect the sport to be that much different. As for the forward assist.....never had to use it in training or in combat, the dust cover, as previously stated, it is always open when firing. And honestly, most of the time after clearing the weapon when entering the FOB, the damn thing would open by itself with a gentle bump in the vehicle. So, those to features I will not miss nor need.

george, US Army, Ret. 1978 - 2011 (Yeah, another old fart with "old soldiers disease")

Hi George, welcome! I'm picking mine up on friday and can't wait! I considered doing some wheeling and dealing to come up with a 15-22 as well, but honestly, I have enough .22lr's and would rather spend that money on ammo for the new 5.56!

Glad you're here, stop over to the new member thread and introduce yourself, seem to be a lot of great people here, and consequently, a lot of great information.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

33 years in, that's great. Hope you enjoy the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by silentSF View Post
    Hey Ya'll, new to the forum. I just put a sport on lay-a-way, I can spring her in October. Looking forward to some range time. I have the 15-22, high velosity ammo is a must and she has never missed a beat......love it.

I have been issued M16A1's, M16A2's and 3 different M4's. M16's were ok, but I am sure the age and prior armory storage maintenance of the M16's contributed to a lot of jams and failure to fire situations. All of the issued M4's always went boom when I squeezed the trigger and were just as accurate for targets out to 300 meters. From the reviews and forums, I do not expect the sport to be that much different. As for the forward assist.....never had to use it in training or in combat, the dust cover, as previously stated, it is always open when firing. And honestly, most of the time after clearing the weapon when entering the FOB, the damn thing would open by itself with a gentle bump in the vehicle. So, those to features I will not miss nor need.

george, US Army, Ret. 1978 - 2011 (Yeah, another old fart with "old soldiers disease")
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Dadsnugun, thanks for the welcome, i am really find this site, unlike a few others......less mature, here we have more knowledge that is easily distributed and very little ego or smugness.
    Thanks again!

jonconsilio, thank you for the welcome..................I love every minute of service, and would do it all over.

Ya, George...I've been surfin' around a bit too over the past week...conversations are at least possible over here, some of the others...not so much, unless you're into beatin' your chest, speaking in monosyllables, and berating anyone who doesn't share your p.o.v....nah George, it's a good place to be.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Your going to love the MP sport Ar-15 it's been to me the most pleasant rifle for target shooting I have had to date. So far I have put all kinds of Remington and American eagle ammo through her and not one issue (260 rounds). I picked up my MP for 499.99 how about you?
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

hey defensive, hope your day is a good one. I picked her up at 549.99. Have you tried wolf with the green coating on the cartrige? It is very inexpensive, but I had one expand from heat of the powder and the expended cartrige was glued inside the chamber. This was in a olympic arms weapon.

I would never try any of the wolf ammo or steel case ammo at that through my AR I have heard many problems with steel case ammo. I just stick to brass ammo of any kind. I have fed her all kinds of ammo and she cycles beautifully
    I have yet to be attacked by a block of ballistic gelatin but.........

Quote Originally Posted by defensive007 View Post
    Your going to love the MP sport Ar-15 it's been to me the most pleasant rifle for target shooting I have had to date. So far I have put all kinds of Remington and American eagle ammo through her and not one issue (260 rounds). I picked up my MP for 499.99 how about you?
    Mines $599 so you have me beat by $100, but the 1st place that I looked in town (Cabela's) actually wanted $699 for 'em and I almost went for it, until I checked the sporting goods store down the street from them. I did pick up some ammo from Cabela's though, just got the call that it's in, and my extra mags just came from Magpul 10 minutes ago! I only ordered them 2 days ago! That's some great service! I'll head in and pick up the rifle and ammo tomorrow, after that, I know what I'm doing this weekend!

Picked my M&P15 Sport up yesterday...I feel like a kid with a new toy! Can't remember when I was this excited last! Heading out to the range in about 15 min. for some prelim sight in/shakedown then over to a friends this afternoon for a more thorough test drive! Happy day!

Nothing at all wrong with steel case for practice ammo. It cannot damage your gun in any way like we here so often for some reason and should function fine in any decent rifle. I wouldn't use it for a carbine class, hunting or for defensive/offensive purposes, but it works just fine for the range.

Wolf is more that fine for the range, it's just a little dirty. A true 5.56 chamber and proper spec gas port and you're good to go... Oh and the proper carrier/buffer combo. A carbine buffer in an over gassed gun can cause the carrier to move too fast and unlock too early which can result in stuck cases.

No big deal, just collapse the stock all the way and mortar it...smack it hark on the stock against the ground with your foot on the charging handle. If that doesn't work, smack it out with a rod.

Shoot what's cheap unless it's for more serious that static range use or you're going for accuracy.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I also just picked up the S&M MP15 sport... i was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for add-ons? Optics, grips, more mags.. so on and so forth. Will anything for a standard AR15 work?

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by bam5268bam1 View Post
    I also just picked up the S&M MP15 sport... i was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for add-ons? Optics, grips, more mags.. so on and so forth. Will anything for a standard AR15 work?
    Any generic AR15 part will work. Optics, grips and mags are up to you. I like red dots and holographic sights. I use both on two different rifles. Grips, that's all up to what you like (as is most everything). I like Houge grips. Mags.... hard to beat Magpul. Lancer L5 mags are good too. GI mags usually work just fine.

love the information thus far... only one question, can this be used with the cmmg conversion to shoot .22lr? i want to be able to shoot it for cheaper while still having the ability to shoot the larger rounds. i was going to buy a .22 rifle and upgrade it later on but for around the same price i might as well just buy the 5.56/.223 now and do the cheaper .22 conversion.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links