New S&W M&P15 Sport?????

This is a discussion on New S&W M&P15 Sport????? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't have 1st hand info on the CMMG conversion, but I have been doing some research on it over the past couple of days ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: New S&W M&P15 Sport?????

I don't have 1st hand info on the CMMG conversion, but I have been doing some research on it over the past couple of days out of the same desire for a cheaper round. From what I can gather the CMMG option is not terribly accurate, and the best bet is to buy a dedicated .22lr upper...but they are expensive...ranging from near $400 (you can get a M&P 15-22 complete rifle for near that) to upwards of $900. I'd try and find a way to actually shoot a rifle with the CMMG conversion in it before committing to something like that, to make sure it's what you want, that it will give you the accuracy you want...otherwise, if it were my money, I'd probably just go with a 15-22 since the uppers alone are in that ballpark and up, pretty much, and it's got decent reviews for the most part.

*edit* Don't buy the 15-22 with the intention of putting a standard upper on it though, it will only take the 15-22 upper.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

2. Remove Ads

i agree, i would like to shoot one before purchasing one. but the reason for not buying the 15-22 is because i want to be able to shoot larger rounds if the zombies ever come.. and i was under the impression the 15-22 cannot be converted to a .223/5.56 upper. the cmmg .22lr can be converted as it has a trye ar lower but for the 550$ it would cost me to buy the true .22 i might as well buy the .223/5.56...

I found this video from a couple of actual guys, there are alot of others, most of which seem to be done by someone connected to the CMMG thing.

*edit* I don't know...after watching a few more videos where some guys had better luck, this thing might be at least worth looking in to.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

yeah ive read plenty reviews on other forums from searching on google, and watched many youtube videos on it... not many people have said anything negative about it... for around 150$ it seems like it would be worth the investment if you plan on shooting once a week

Yes, a lot more economical than 5.56/.223!

smith

if you want a bargin ar the m&p 15 sport and the dpms are the ones in this class now. if the lack of forward assist and dust cover at such a big deal. chang the upper the i mean just then upper and not the barrel and delta ring. a good upper reciver is only about 100 and you dont have to run out and get one save up for it. the dpms oracle (flat top entry) attracts most people because of its price of around 600 to 700 depending on when and where you buy it. but after you add any type of sighting system and sights make the gun if you dont have a good sight what ever kind you like red dot,acog,scope,iron the gun is almost useless. and 100 dollars is going be the minimum you are going to get away with (mappul mbus or decent cheap redot) so take 650 assuming you get a deal on a dpms that takes you to 750 and you can almost get a higher end ar15 for that like stag or bushmaster if you can find with chrome lind barrels and alot more for you moneys worth. but on the smith it comes with sights. and with any red dot i want back up iron sights and way so if your like me add aleast another 100 to the dpms for iron if you want red dot and iron sights we are 850 and thats not before the like 50 dollars in tax you are going to pay

I just don't understand why people would spend $750 on a DPMS when to could buy a BCM for about $900 or right now a $1,400 Colt 6920 for $980. My thought is if you're looking at the Sport or a DPMS, chance are it's just something to add to the collection instead of something you are in need of. In that case, save another $200 and buy one of the best ARs n the market.

Persnally, I don't care if DPMS was $500, I would never recommend one. Bushmaster and Stag can be tolerable and tweaked to get the most reliability out of them, but I still can't see why. The only reason I can see buying one of these over a higher quality rifle is because every now and then when you go to the range to work with whatever the main weapon is, you decide to grab the AR to pop off a few rounds. I've said all this a couple dozen times and I know it's useless to repeat myself, but anyone is buying an AR for any reason other than just to have one for a rainy day, it only makes sense to spend a little bit more (still under $1,000) to have one of the best ARs available.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

RKM
    At times I wish I would have known more about BCM's before I bought my M&P15X. Though, I don't regret buying my M&P15, despite the fact I could have bought a BCM for the same price. I know my M&P is no BCM, Colt, Noveske, etc., but I think they serve just fine as a home defense or the infamous "SHTF" rifle for almost anybody. Would an AR snob in a serious time of need turn away an M&P15 if they were somehow with out their Noveske? I highly doubt it. The same can be said for AK snobs who won't touch anything other than Arsenal's. If all they had at the time was a perfectly working WASR in a defensive role, I'm sure they fight with it.

That said, I always think about throwing a BCM BCG in my M&P15 just for peace of mind, but really... will it make a noticeable difference? I don't know. I can say I doubt I'll know the difference other than being more confident that I have a higher quality BCG.

There's my rant and defense on buying an inferior rifle

Hi all, have not been on this site for a long time! As of yesterday, I am the new owner of the M&P Sport! I was looking at the .223's and had almost decided to get the Ruger Mini 14. Then yesterday morning, I happened on a forum where someone mentioned the Sport. I started reading all that I could and did not take long to decide that my little M&P .40c needed a relative in the family. I was lucky enough to find one locally and whet right down and purchased it. I have not done any target work yet as I got home after dark last night. We live way out in the country with wheat fields all around. I went out and emptied a magazine over the field. I loved it. I think I made a very good buy!!

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Congratulations Ron! I hope you have as much fun with yours as I've had with mine...make sure you keep checking the rear ghost ring sight though, mine has a tendency to work itself loose if I don't monitor it...especially when it was brand new. Doesn't seem to be quite the problem now that I've got 500 or so rounds through it.

Enjoy your new weapon!

Picked this up on 9-2-11, it was brand new and "stock" when I got it. I cut the front sight post down for the Troy Alpha I'm gonna order when payday rolls around, it seems to obstruct my veiw a little while looking down the 512, so I cut it a little early. Got about 800 rounds through it without a hitch. Steel cased and brass.

My local gun store had it, I walked out with it for $650.

DSCN4442.jpg

DSCN4441.jpg
    Last edited by GlockRacer; November 19th, 2011 at 12:02 PM.

If your buy'n a rifle with pop up sites it will have optics of some kind on it to be used full time right?? Tthe Magpul rear site that is on the M&P15 works fine, folds flat and is durable. Maybe some here should read this review before talking about how great this or that AR is and for only a few more dollars!!! Not many higher cost guns will do anything better.

´╗┐ Gun Review: Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport | The Truth About Guns

Some guys here that think there higher price rifle is all that. None of us need a fully mil-spec select fire AR for home defence that we can't do egually as well with something as lowly as a good .22lr or shotgun or lever rifle. I bought a m&p 15 sport for many use's from useing to teach the grand kids about centerfire rifles ,fun with the family and a bit of coyote hunting. Maybe even a 3 gun match or 2. I have shot many different AR rifles from some just stupid expensive all dolled up models to some that sell as mil-spec but are not. Some ran fine, some did not, nothing to get carried away with. This low cost ar will do anything the higher cost rifle will do for 99.99% of us. It will shot sub 1" groups for the hunters. And it would seem the barrel and bolt with the coating used is atleast as good as most of the chrome out there. And the funtion is spot on. Also seems to shoot 5.56 nato ammo as well as .223 junk with no issues. S&W builds all the metal work in house also unlike many of the costlier ar rifles.
    ´╗┐ Gun Review: Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport | The Truth About Guns

Got one today for 640..here it is and me trying it..

here it is with my dpms 22lr converstion kit..

tomorrow I will attach my 22lr suppressor and see how it shoots..thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vikz View Post
    Got one today for 640..here it is and me trying it..

here it is with my dpms 22lr converstion kit..

tomorrow I will attach my 22lr suppressor and see how it shoots..thanks
    Everything that I have read says that the Sport doesnt have a folding rear sight, but yours looks like it does. Does it? I just ordered one and ordered an Ultradot Pan-A-V holographic sight that is advertised to co witness with the iron sights. If the rear sight is a folding type then that would be a plus. Also how did it shoot at the range?
    Thanks

USMC 75-79

The best defense is a completely overwhelming offense!!!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links