New S&W M&P15 Sport?????

This is a discussion on New S&W M&P15 Sport????? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I picked one up a few days ago. This is my first AR and I wanted something to be able to learn the platform without ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: New S&W M&P15 Sport?????

I picked one up a few days ago. This is my first AR and I wanted something to be able to learn the platform without paying out the rear. Mine also came with a magpul rear sight, I think they switched to a magpul rear site over whatever the sight was that I've seen on the older rifles. It also comes with a 30 round p-mag.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    They did change a while back to the magpul rear folding site and from some reveiws they are useing the same melonite coating on the bolt assembly thats in the barrel. Good basic rifle . Shoots better than most costing more too. If you scope yours check RRA for scope monuts.Llower cost that almost any other an a solid mount. Buy direct as shipping is low and price is still cheaper direct than milddle men seem to be.

I'm getting this rifle for my birthday in May. I like what I see and hear about it!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hrufrdr1 View Post
    I'm getting this rifle for my birthday in May. I like what I see and hear about it!
    It's a good value as long as you don't pay more than $650 for it.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

My New Sport "Betty" (Blam-a-Lam!)

Betty.jpg

Bought this a few weeks ago and added some fun toys. She rocks! :)

Cowboy Bob
    oneyeopn likes this.

Here are some pics of my M&P15 Sport and my first Milsurp Mauser 98 (VZ24). I am running the Ultradot Pan-A-V on my Sport and a Bushnell on the VZ24 with a Bell and Carlson Stock. Following is a link to the pics, but the optics work great. I can use my Iron Sights with my Optics off or the optics are absolute co-witnessed with the Holographic sight. I mean with the optics turned off, the field of view allows me to shoot through the optics lens and not even know it is there.
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...220&parid=root

USMC 75-79

The best defense is a completely overwhelming offense!!!

Quote Originally Posted by readyfourwar View Post
    if you want a bargin ar the m&p 15 sport and the dpms are the ones in this class now. if the lack of forward assist and dust cover at such a big deal. chang the upper the i mean just then upper and not the barrel and delta ring. a good upper reciver is only about 100 and you dont have to run out and get one save up for it. the dpms oracle (flat top entry) attracts most people because of its price of around 600 to 700 depending on when and where you buy it. but after you add any type of sighting system and sights make the gun if you dont have a good sight what ever kind you like red dot,acog,scope,iron the gun is almost useless. and 100 dollars is going be the minimum you are going to get away with (mappul mbus or decent cheap redot) so take 650 assuming you get a deal on a dpms that takes you to 750 and you can almost get a higher end ar15 for that like stag or bushmaster if you can find with chrome lind barrels and alot more for you moneys worth. but on the smith it comes with sights. and with any red dot i want back up iron sights and way so if your like me add aleast another 100 to the dpms for iron if you want red dot and iron sights we are 850 and thats not before the like 50 dollars in tax you are going to pay
    The DPMS and the Bushmaster are Composite instead of metal lower receivers, and they are going to the composite uppers also....With the S&W M&P Sport you get metal receivers, Magpul folding rear, Melonite coating which is better than chrome and a progressive rifled barrel plus the Smith Lifetime warranty instead of a year and so it doesnt have a dust cover or a FA, the original AR's didnt either, those were just bandaids they put in place of good ammo and a cleaning kit. You can get a nice Holographic sight and co-witness it with your front sight and have one heck of a good firearm!!

USMC 75-79

The best defense is a completely overwhelming offense!!!

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    It is a very basic carbine.

For persons who absolutely are price oriented but still do want to have an AR to 'plink' with.
    This is IMHO the gun that the vast majority of Americans actually want/should have.

No extras that they very likely will never use nor have need for.

No SWAT or GI-JOE add-ons for the mall ninjas and those who imagine themself as going to fight terrorists at the mall or among foreign lands.
    What do you need a dust cover for when the cover is always open as when in use AND the vast majority of shooters are doing so on public ranges in lanes shooting off of benches or off-hand and not swimming belly down under concertina wire with their gun forward or dragged behind?
    The cover is closed while being stored in the average persons gun safe or closet...Against cob webs not jungle dust & dirt.

No garbage adding largely unnecessary weight such as hey look I'm cool just like everybody else rails to put nothing on but rail covers and maybe a light that never gets used because most public ranges are closed at night (outdoor) and those that are indoor are illuminated and do not allow handling of guns with the lights out.

Standard sights that are just fine even as they are not name branded and thus up-priced by some third party vendor (as things had been for decades prior to the late '90s!) so that the shooter can actually learn and practice iron sighting fundamentals.
    They don't fold down either because that just adds additional not absolutely necessary for a civilians range use expense.

Also this beats those build it yourself priced packages out there as the gun comes fully assembled with a lifetime warranty, and a magazine.

The 'Sport' is a common mans rifle priced for the common man outfitted for the _common man_, who has not convinced himself that he needs a sighting system that is equal to or greater than the cost of the rifle itself (ACOG, Elcan Specter, etc.) in order to hit a static (!) target at an average indoor or outdoor range.
    Also for those among the majority who pretty much never shoot their gun but just leave it behind a door or locked in a safe they willbe able tohave and say to their friends they have an 'AR' without having tied up a thousand or more bucks into same.

With a retail of $709 (and nobody but fools pay MSRP), I'd expect to see this gun running near $600 street.
    That is where things should be.

For those who reeeally feel they need to have a dust cover they can add one, or choose to upgrde to the full tacti-cool 'VTAC' model for $1,989 retail.
    Product: ARCHIVE: Model M&P15VTAC

- Janq
    Janq is back! Missed you Janq! WB. ;-)

Thumbs up

Hey all. Just joined this site and have seen alot of great remarks in regaurds to the Smith and Wesson m-p 15 sport. I have been doing some research on them and was planning on buying one. I went to a gun show yesturday, and a dealer all but talked me out of it. He showed me in the owners manual where if you shoot any other than specified ammo it voided the warranty. And if you make any modifications to the gun it also voided the warranty. I'm hearing some good things on this site, but wonder if anyone has heard of these warranty problems

RKM
    I'm personally not worried about warranty's. If something fails, I'll buy a BETTER part and fix it myself. AR's are like lego's. It doesn't take a professional gun smith to work on them. It does take knowledge of the firearm, but really, they're not bad.

If you're that concerned, well, I doubt they'd be able to prove what ammo you use, and remove any mods before sending it in for warranty.

Looks like a good forum!

I am looking at the S&W sport, But i'm also looking at the stag arms 15 (with rear folding sight) the S&W is about 650 locally and the stag is 850 if I recall.

I do like the stag, the S&W was OSS and will have a few more thursday.

I've owned many many assult rifles but never anything on the AR platform, but my wife is getting in to shooting with me and the adjustable stock is going to be great for both of us.

Haven't decided yet on between the two, I tend to look at these as an investment so i'll probably get the one with all the zombie attachments (the stag)

I wouldn't fret about the warranty-I bet you all gun manuals say almost the exact same thing. Plus the gun is pure genius so you won't need to send it back anyway.

Got my new M&P 15 Sport six days ago. $659. I've poured about 400 rounds with it, no problem. I put on a red dot holo sight, foregrip, and tac light.

my ar 1.jpg

my ar 2.jpg

I think I have a new favorite toy!

Quote Originally Posted by hrufrdr1 View Post
    Got my new M&P 15 Sport six days ago. $659. I've poured about 400 rounds with it, no problem. I put on a red dot holo sight, foregrip, and tac light.

my ar 1.jpg

my ar 2.jpg

I think I have a new favorite toy!
    Whats the specs/who makes the red dot??? whered ya get it?

Van;

Got it from 417 Guns (a local gun shop). They had to order it for me--they're hard to come by right now. Chambered in 5.56, Tru Glo holo sight, magpul vertical foregrip, Blackhawk ambi sling, Streamlight tac light (TLR-1, I think).

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links