New S&W M&P15 Sport????? - Page 8

New S&W M&P15 Sport?????

This is a discussion on New S&W M&P15 Sport????? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Shot my M&P Sport today at a bowling pin shoot. Second fastest time and one of the only guns without a jam. Buddies $2,000 tricked ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: New S&W M&P15 Sport?????

Smith AR Sport

Shot my M&P Sport today at a bowling pin shoot. Second fastest time and one of the only guns without a jam.

Buddies $2,000 tricked out Bushmaster did no better. $599 at Four Seasons firarms in Woburn, MA

Never needed the forward assist and lack of dust cover was not an issue.

Any different expectations when running 5.56 NATO or .223 through this gun? I understand the basic differences between the rounds, but was wondering if the more seasoned members of the group have noticed any reason to shoot one over the other?

Basic range shooting is what I intend to do and am also concerned about home defense during SHTF scenarios.

Any rifle with a 5.56 chamber will perform at its most reliable with 5.56 ammo. It will likely perform just as well with 223, but for defensive use or function testing, I'd always suggest 5.56. If you have to use 223, be sure to run a couple hundred of that particular round and try to find the hotter loads, if possible.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

RKM
    I keep .223 TAP loaded because 5.56 TAP is hard to find and absurdly expensive.

I've been using the .223 for practice, but keep the 5.56 loaded and ready for the SHTF situation.

Thanks for the advice all. Shot a combo of both 5.56 and .223 this afternoon at the Leeds shooting range at the Sumter National Forrest in SC.

First test of the new carbine went well...lost my AR-15 Cherry and had fun in the process.

Congrats on the new AR15. Never thought I would have any interest in one of these, but am starting to consider one. Don't ask me why.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Congrats on the new AR15. Never thought I would have any interest in one of these, but am starting to consider one. Don't ask me why.
    Haha that's sounds exactly like me ... I never had any interest until recently. Now I catch myself reading up on them and considering buy one! LOL

I have had my M&P Sport for several months and love it! It's fun at the range and I use it in 3 gun matches and it has worked perfectly so far.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Probably the same reason I was never much interested in them, either, but started to get the urge a couple years ago. It got to me last spring, and I gave in. Got an M&P and love it. Now I'm kicking myself for not buying an AR years ago.

BTW - If you get an AR that's chambered in 5.56 (and almost all of them are), I wouldn't worry too much about shooting .223 vs. 5.56. I've got a bazillion rounds of 5.56 and .223 through 5.56 guns (AR & Mini-14's), and have never noticed a functional difference. If, on the other hand, you get a rifle chambered for .223, it's generally not a good idea to shoot 5.56 in it.

Regards,
    Jim
    eslack32 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    BTW - If you get an AR that's chambered in 5.56 (and almost all of them are), I wouldn't worry too much about shooting .223 vs. 5.56. I've got a bazillion rounds of 5.56 and .223 through 5.56 guns (AR & Mini-14's), and have never noticed a functional difference. If, on the other hand, you get a rifle chambered for .223, it's generally not a good idea to shoot 5.56 in it.

Regards,
    Jim
    The reason it's suggested to shoot 5.56 through 5.56 chamber over average 223 (not defensive 223 loads) is because 223 rounds are usually a couple hundred FPS slower. A quality rifle with a 5.56 chamber will have a gas port and buffer combo optimized for 5.56. There's a chance that running 233 will cause some sort of malfunction…though that malfunction will likely only be a failure to lock back, it's still possible that it just doesn't perform as well. If it's just as for fun at the range, all ammo that works is pretty much acceptable.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    If you own the sport atleast it is an over gased ar. Made that way just so it will be reliable shooting any ole .223 ammo. IF you are planing on shooting just 5.56 pick up a used H2 or H3 buffer at a gunshow and you can tune your buffer that has 3 steel weights in it an swap out one of the stock steel weights for a tunsten weight sfrom the H2 or H3 and run it . It is now cedered a H buffer, See how it cycles. Then try the H2 buffer with 2 tungsten one steel weight . You can fine tune them that way. I even talked a one of S&W people about this. Not a CS guy. You can soften and slow down the cycle speeds a bit. I have run all most 1200 rounds of .223 in my sport and had not a single problem. I am now trying a h weighted buffer. Will weight it as a H@ next week and shots some rounds to see how it works. Not a big deal and only takes a minute to change them. Maybe 3 minutes to changes weights in a buffer.

Just ordered one of these: Product: Model M&P15-22 - A1 Style Comp
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I would always run an H buffer, no matter what, even with the weakest ammo. An H2 will work fine with 5.56 ammo, especially 193 and 855. I run an H in my 14.5" mid length BCM (which has one of the smallest gas ports for a 14.5" mid length).

Oh, I'd probably through in an auto carrier opposed to the semi carrier. The extra weight of that and an H buffer will delay unlocking, which aids in extraction, as well as slowing the cyclic speed.

Me Too!

Picked my S&W M&P Sport 15 #811036 yesterday. Got interested the middle of last year and placed my order around November 1st, 2012. Finally got the call and picked her up. Only problem is no ammo or pmags anywhere.

I can wait and hopefully luck out somewhere on a coupla boxes. In the meantime, cleaning, fondling, oiling, reading, fondling. Great firearm. Thanks S&W and thanks to my LGS for holding the line.
    GSDSchutzhund likes this.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Links