Defensive Carry banner

New S&W M&P15 Sport?????

150K views 119 replies 57 participants last post by  Ultrastick 
#1 ·
#99 ·
Hey all. Just joined this site and have seen alot of great remarks in regaurds to the Smith and Wesson m-p 15 sport. I have been doing some research on them and was planning on buying one. I went to a gun show yesturday, and a dealer all but talked me out of it. He showed me in the owners manual where if you shoot any other than specified ammo it voided the warranty. And if you make any modifications to the gun it also voided the warranty. I'm hearing some good things on this site, but wonder if anyone has heard of these warranty problems

#100 ·
I'm personally not worried about warranty's. If something fails, I'll buy a BETTER part and fix it myself. AR's are like lego's. It doesn't take a professional gun smith to work on them. It does take knowledge of the firearm, but really, they're not bad.

If you're that concerned, well, I doubt they'd be able to prove what ammo you use, and remove any mods before sending it in for warranty.

#101 ·
Looks like a good forum!

I am looking at the S&W sport, But i'm also looking at the stag arms 15 (with rear folding sight) the S&W is about 650 locally and the stag is 850 if I recall.

I do like the stag, the S&W was OSS and will have a few more thursday.

I've owned many many assult rifles but never anything on the AR platform, but my wife is getting in to shooting with me and the adjustable stock is going to be great for both of us.

Haven't decided yet on between the two, I tend to look at these as an investment so i'll probably get the one with all the zombie attachments (the stag)

#106 ·
Smith AR Sport

Shot my M&P Sport today at a bowling pin shoot. Second fastest time and one of the only guns without a jam.

Buddies $2,000 tricked out Bushmaster did no better. $599 at Four Seasons firarms in Woburn, MA

Never needed the forward assist and lack of dust cover was not an issue.

#107 ·
Any different expectations when running 5.56 NATO or .223 through this gun? I understand the basic differences between the rounds, but was wondering if the more seasoned members of the group have noticed any reason to shoot one over the other?

Basic range shooting is what I intend to do and am also concerned about home defense during SHTF scenarios.

#108 ·
Any rifle with a 5.56 chamber will perform at its most reliable with 5.56 ammo. It will likely perform just as well with 223, but for defensive use or function testing, I'd always suggest 5.56. If you have to use 223, be sure to run a couple hundred of that particular round and try to find the hotter loads, if possible.

#117 ·
If you own the sport atleast it is an over gased ar. Made that way just so it will be reliable shooting any ole .223 ammo. IF you are planing on shooting just 5.56 pick up a used H2 or H3 buffer at a gunshow and you can tune your buffer that has 3 steel weights in it an swap out one of the stock steel weights for a tunsten weight sfrom the H2 or H3 and run it . It is now cedered a H buffer, See how it cycles. Then try the H2 buffer with 2 tungsten one steel weight . You can fine tune them that way. I even talked a one of S&W people about this. Not a CS guy. You can soften and slow down the cycle speeds a bit. I have run all most 1200 rounds of .223 in my sport and had not a single problem. I am now trying a h weighted buffer. Will weight it as a H@ next week and shots some rounds to see how it works. Not a big deal and only takes a minute to change them. Maybe 3 minutes to changes weights in a buffer.

#119 ·
I would always run an H buffer, no matter what, even with the weakest ammo. An H2 will work fine with 5.56 ammo, especially 193 and 855. I run an H in my 14.5" mid length BCM (which has one of the smallest gas ports for a 14.5" mid length).

Oh, I'd probably through in an auto carrier opposed to the semi carrier. The extra weight of that and an H buffer will delay unlocking, which aids in extraction, as well as slowing the cyclic speed.

#120 ·
Me Too!

Picked my S&W M&P Sport 15 #811036 yesterday. Got interested the middle of last year and placed my order around November 1st, 2012. Finally got the call and picked her up. Only problem is no ammo or pmags anywhere.

I can wait and hopefully luck out somewhere on a coupla boxes. In the meantime, cleaning, fondling, oiling, reading, fondling. Great firearm. Thanks S&W and thanks to my LGS for holding the line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.