Defensive Carry banner

New S&W M&P15 Sport?????

150K views 119 replies 57 participants last post by  Ultrastick 
#1 ·
#3 ·
It is a very basic carbine.

For persons who absolutely are price oriented but still do want to have an AR to 'plink' with.
This is IMHO the gun that the vast majority of Americans actually want/should have.

No extras that they very likely will never use nor have need for.

No SWAT or GI-JOE add-ons for the mall ninjas and those who imagine themself as going to fight terrorists at the mall or among foreign lands.
What do you need a dust cover for when the cover is always open as when in use AND the vast majority of shooters are doing so on public ranges in lanes shooting off of benches or off-hand and not swimming belly down under concertina wire with their gun forward or dragged behind?
The cover is closed while being stored in the average persons gun safe or closet...Against cob webs not jungle dust & dirt.

No garbage adding largely unnecessary weight such as hey look I'm cool just like everybody else rails to put nothing on but rail covers and maybe a light that never gets used because most public ranges are closed at night (outdoor) and those that are indoor are illuminated and do not allow handling of guns with the lights out.

Standard sights that are just fine even as they are not name branded and thus up-priced by some third party vendor (as things had been for decades prior to the late '90s!) so that the shooter can actually learn and practice iron sighting fundamentals.
They don't fold down either because that just adds additional not absolutely necessary for a civilians range use expense.

Also this beats those build it yourself priced packages out there as the gun comes fully assembled with a lifetime warranty, and a magazine.

The 'Sport' is a common mans rifle priced for the common man outfitted for the _common man_, who has not convinced himself that he needs a sighting system that is equal to or greater than the cost of the rifle itself (ACOG, Elcan Specter, etc.) in order to hit a static (!) target at an average indoor or outdoor range.
Also for those among the majority who pretty much never shoot their gun but just leave it behind a door or locked in a safe they willbe able tohave and say to their friends they have an 'AR' without having tied up a thousand or more bucks into same.

With a retail of $709 (and nobody but fools pay MSRP), I'd expect to see this gun running near $600 street.
That is where things should be.

For those who reeeally feel they need to have a dust cover they can add one, or choose to upgrde to the full tacti-cool 'VTAC' model for $1,989 retail.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57785_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

- Janq

#28 ·
It is a very basic carbine.

For persons who absolutely are price oriented but still do want to have an AR to 'plink' with.
This is IMHO the gun that the vast majority of Americans actually want/should have.

No extras that they very likely will never use nor have need for.

No SWAT or GI-JOE add-ons for the mall ninjas and those who imagine themself as going to fight terrorists at the mall or among foreign lands.
What do you need a dust cover for when the cover is always open as when in use AND the vast majority of shooters are doing so on public ranges in lanes shooting off of benches or off-hand and not swimming belly down under concertina wire with their gun forward or dragged behind?
The cover is closed while being stored in the average persons gun safe or closet...Against cob webs not jungle dust & dirt.

No garbage adding largely unnecessary weight such as hey look I'm cool just like everybody else rails to put nothing on but rail covers and maybe a light that never gets used because most public ranges are closed at night (outdoor) and those that are indoor are illuminated and do not allow handling of guns with the lights out.

Standard sights that are just fine even as they are not name branded and thus up-priced by some third party vendor (as things had been for decades prior to the late '90s!) so that the shooter can actually learn and practice iron sighting fundamentals.
They don't fold down either because that just adds additional not absolutely necessary for a civilians range use expense.

Also this beats those build it yourself priced packages out there as the gun comes fully assembled with a lifetime warranty, and a magazine.

The 'Sport' is a common mans rifle priced for the common man outfitted for the _common man_, who has not convinced himself that he needs a sighting system that is equal to or greater than the cost of the rifle itself (ACOG, Elcan Specter, etc.) in order to hit a static (!) target at an average indoor or outdoor range.
Also for those among the majority who pretty much never shoot their gun but just leave it behind a door or locked in a safe they willbe able tohave and say to their friends they have an 'AR' without having tied up a thousand or more bucks into same.

With a retail of $709 (and nobody but fools pay MSRP), I'd expect to see this gun running near $600 street.
That is where things should be.

For those who reeeally feel they need to have a dust cover they can add one, or choose to upgrde to the full tacti-cool 'VTAC' model for $1,989 retail.
Product: Model M&P15VTAC

- Janq
Janq, I have always thought of you as a no BS, say it like it is kind of guy and brother you did not disappoint this time! You said all that needed to be said and everything I was thinking as well! The average Joe who wants an AR for home defense doesn't need 99% of the "tacticool" crap that they hang on their AR. I think this is a perfect HD gun for anyone. I'm pretty sure Clint Smith, a believer in the keep it simple principle would love this gun.

I am planning on getting a few of these as finances allow. Each of my kids will have one if I can afford it. This looks to be a great gun at a great price.

I have always believed that everyone should have at least one good battle rifle. AR or AK or similar. This fits the bill for nearly everyone.

#5 ·
:image035: I like my tacticool AR15 :) I have a Bipod/forward grip (Grippod), holosight and magnifier, houge grip, because the standard grip really does suck. All plenty useful for range use. Only things I have that really make no difference is my Magpul MOE stock (looks cool) and I want to buy a TLR-1 light.

Janq is right though. Many people don't NEED anything more than an iron sight AR. But there are some add on's that can make plinking more enjoyable or comfortable, such as bipods, different grips, and optics.

If saving money is what you're all about, cool.

#6 ·
Just bought one Today!

First of all, this is a GREAT Forum! Just found it a few days ago and it is already becoming my GO TO place to have my stupid questions answered by smart people!

Just got this today for 649.00 retail. Will be hitting the range on Friday and will let you all know how it went.

Haven't shot an AR15 since Air Force Basic training 35 years ago so I am excited to get myself and my 19 yr old son having fun with this gun.

Thanks again to the Moderators for a GREAT FORUM!

#7 ·
One thing about iron sights over a red dot is during night time when you can see your target but can't find your irons in the darkness,that red circle with a dot in the middle makes all the difference in the world.I have several AR platforms,but my go to gun has an 11.5" bbl with 5" flash hider,A2 upper and 6 position collapsible butt stock,All told I have in it is about $600.00

#8 ·
At a street price around 6 bills, Smith should sell a ton of these AR's! As already stated, it is all most people REALLY need. With a rock-bottom entry price and lifetime warranty from a well known manufacturer, it should be perceived as a great value. Practical people + folks on a budget + the congenitally cheap = a big market!

#12 ·
As an outfitter that works for Cabela's on the gun line i can say that this is a GREAT buy for the money.

#13 ·
thinking of getting one

I am looking at purchasing one of these for $635. what can be added to this. I am new to the AR world so looking as you all have mentioned at getting in on the ground floor and then probably getting hooked in. So can red dot sights be added or a rail system etc.

thanks

brent

#14 ·
As with any AR you can add pretty much anything you want to it. Red dot and a rail system up front are possible. As far as I can tell the only thing you really cant add to it would be an enhanced trigger gaurd as the trigger gaurd on the Sport is a built in part of the lower. Also you wont be able to add a custom dust cover as it simply does not exist on the sport. Same with a new forward assist. If I were you I would get one of these ASAP due to ULTRA high demands on this fire Smith & Wesson has told Cabela's that we have exceded their expected numbers and until they can catch up we can't at this time order anymore.

#15 ·
Chalk316

Thanks for the info. I went to my local Cabelas and they were all sold out. They put me down for a rain check which i was the 145th one they have given out. They said that they would be in sometime mid June. They did say though that there was no limit on how many rain checks they could give out so I guess will see.

I am knew to the AR world so if you can help me out with a couple things that you said. You mentioned adding a rail system. this would be the area where the M&P is actually rounded between the trigger and the end of the barrel correct? I found out what a dust cover was this weekend so I am good there. Are they recommended for civilian use? What is a forward assist?

thanks for your help.

brent

#16 ·
The dust cover is the little door that covers the ejection port on a standard AR. As Jang pointed out, its not really needed for 99.9% of the typical AR shooter as long as they are being honest with themselves about the actual usage of their gun. Yes, you are correct about the rail system location. They typically replace the hand guard. Don't worry about adding one, its not needed unless you are spending money to give the illusion of skill.
A forward assist is not needed either, but they are nice to have. Don't worry about it, you can't add one anyway without a new upper receiver. Shoot the snot out of your new toy and enjoy it as is. Upgrade it as needed.

#19 ·
It looks like a great value to me if you want a standard AR. I almost bought one for $650 but $650 wasn't in my budget. I ended up getting a similar styled rifle S&W M&p15-22. I believe everyone should own a 22 rifle (not necessarily this model. Plenty of much cheaper options). My local gun shop stated that they would take the S&W M&P Sport over the other budget ARs they had which I think was a Panther and a DPMS (I am just recalling these names but I am not sure).

#20 ·
bet1277

For the average civilian shooter the dust cover is NICE but not needed. Most shooters arent going to be crawling around in a swap and muck water and most likely will not be tossing it in to a mud puddle to see if it will shoot afterwards. As for the forward assist again it is a NICE thing to have . . . in a combat situation. . . What it allows for is getting the BCG (blot carrier group) to go fully in to battery in the off chance that it won't by its self. Now to your rail system the option you would have for that would be a carbine lenght rail system ( about 200 companies make one) and it would be mounted between the frontsight/gasblock and the Delta ring ( the black ring just in front of the mag well.) You could also (after a few other modifications) mount a full length handgaurd/rail system but this would mean you would have to remove the frontsight/gasblock and install a low profile gasblock.

If you have other questions feel free to ask away

#21 ·
I am new to the AR game. I am interested in the M&P 15 sport as an entry to the scene. I do like the smooth,round, front hand gaurds, can these be installed on this model? What limitations does the solid trigger gaurd have? How hard is it to take the front and rear sight off to add a scope, or other optics? I just want something to take to the range and shoot. Thanks

#22 ·
rayd

Yes the smooth round front hand gaurds can be mounted to this weapon. The down side of it is you will have to reaplace the front sight/aframe sight with a low profile gas block to do so. Thses can be found from places like Troy Industries. If you wannted to leave the front sight on you could still add a scope to it. After mounting 200+ scopes to ARs with a front sight post still on i can tell you the MOST good 3-9x40 or highrer powered scopes seem to look "through" the sight post.

#23 ·
I bought one a few weeks ago. Three range trips, 200 rounds downrange, no problems. Smith put a surprising amount of quality into the weapon for the price. 1:8 twist in a 5R melonite coated barrel (similar wear resistance to chrome lining, but no dimensional issues). M4 feed ramps, flat top T marked upper with dual aperture rear sight. F marked front sight base. Bolt carrier and gas key interiors are chrome lined and the gas key appears properly staked.

I ordered and installed a carry handle in place of the rear sight. Will try to sight that in this weekend.

#24 ·
New member here. Just sighted in my sport. Used BVAC 62gr. softpoint. Five shots at 100 yards. 5 mph wind coming from back left. Shoots good enough for me. Last shot was low left. I'm sure it was shooter error. Have only been shooting rifles for about six weeks now. This is my first rifle. Scope was 4X16 40mm. going ro use the rifle for Prarie Dogs, and fun plinking.

Attachments

#25 · (Edited)
Is this a free floated barrel? Can it be made so if I wanted to do it?

I don't have an AR yet, but have been itchin' to have one. I wouldn't expect this carbine to be everything a match-grade tack driver should be, but wondering if it has a free-float barrel or if the hand guard could be swapped some day if I wanted to do so and free float it. I also wonder about the A2 front sight. Can it be removed or replaced or is it part of the barrel assembly that would require a smith? Can a dust cover be fitted?
Sorry for the newbie Q's. I don't mind it the way it is, but I'm just wondering how hard it may be to work on and upgrade down the road if I wanted to do so.

#26 ·
Putting the free float tube on the sport is the same as any other AR. You must use a low profile gas block in it's place. If you have never done it before I would recomend letting a gunsmith do it. It is not difficult, but if you do not line up the gas ports it can wreak havoc with the opperation of your rifle. I have seen vidioes of people cutting down their A2 sights but I would never modify a part. I have niether the experience or the experties of a gunsmith. As far as the sport being a tack driver, my sport is better than the operator. look at the attached image a couple of replies ago. I hope I am good enough to repeat that again.

#27 ·
M&P 15 sport

Recently purchased one. Was looking @ the full tilt M&P w/dust cover, fwd assist ect. You can buy TWO sports for the price of the full spec model. The iron sights work very well (but dont fold), golf ball size groups @ 50yds with battle sights isnt too bad @ all. The rear can be removed and there is plenty of rail to mount an optic. Was looking @ an Aimpoint T1 micro red dot but recently saw a very favorable review of the Vortex Sparc. It comes with the mount to co-witness the existing sight, and has features you have to pay extra for with the aimpoint @ 3 times the cost. No doubt the aimpoint is a better product, at least you would hope for the price $$$. Have run several hundred rounds through this gun without a hitch. It's a great value and I hope S&W sell a ton of them. Also considering a nikon .223 scope for Coyotes. Anyone tried this combo yet????
Good shooting everyone!

#29 ·
If you have a round that won't chamber because you been shooting lots of ammo in a firefight and the chambers getting dirty then the Forward assist will keep you banging out rounds,If the round won't chamber because it's a little out of specs,the FA will get it really stuck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.