New S&W M&P15 Sport?????

New S&W M&P15 Sport?????

This is a discussion on New S&W M&P15 Sport????? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just saw this on smith and wesson's website... http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y Comparing this model to the standard M&P15 I see no real difference other than a Melonite ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: New S&W M&P15 Sport?????

New S&W M&P15 Sport?????

Just saw this on smith and wesson's website...

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

Comparing this model to the standard M&P15 I see no real difference other than a Melonite Coating and a non-chrome lined chamber and barrel, and 5R rifling.

So what other differences warrant the $400+ drop in price?

From the picture it appears to have no forward assist, no dust cover, crappy rear sight compared to the troy folding sight on the others, and a straight barrel contour as well as the differences you listed.

It is a very basic carbine.

For persons who absolutely are price oriented but still do want to have an AR to 'plink' with.
    This is IMHO the gun that the vast majority of Americans actually want/should have.

No extras that they very likely will never use nor have need for.

No SWAT or GI-JOE add-ons for the mall ninjas and those who imagine themself as going to fight terrorists at the mall or among foreign lands.
    What do you need a dust cover for when the cover is always open as when in use AND the vast majority of shooters are doing so on public ranges in lanes shooting off of benches or off-hand and not swimming belly down under concertina wire with their gun forward or dragged behind?
    The cover is closed while being stored in the average persons gun safe or closet...Against cob webs not jungle dust & dirt.

No garbage adding largely unnecessary weight such as hey look I'm cool just like everybody else rails to put nothing on but rail covers and maybe a light that never gets used because most public ranges are closed at night (outdoor) and those that are indoor are illuminated and do not allow handling of guns with the lights out.

Standard sights that are just fine even as they are not name branded and thus up-priced by some third party vendor (as things had been for decades prior to the late '90s!) so that the shooter can actually learn and practice iron sighting fundamentals.
    They don't fold down either because that just adds additional not absolutely necessary for a civilians range use expense.

Also this beats those build it yourself priced packages out there as the gun comes fully assembled with a lifetime warranty, and a magazine.

The 'Sport' is a common mans rifle priced for the common man outfitted for the _common man_, who has not convinced himself that he needs a sighting system that is equal to or greater than the cost of the rifle itself (ACOG, Elcan Specter, etc.) in order to hit a static (!) target at an average indoor or outdoor range.
    Also for those among the majority who pretty much never shoot their gun but just leave it behind a door or locked in a safe they willbe able tohave and say to their friends they have an 'AR' without having tied up a thousand or more bucks into same.

With a retail of $709 (and nobody but fools pay MSRP), I'd expect to see this gun running near $600 street.
    That is where things should be.

For those who reeeally feel they need to have a dust cover they can add one, or choose to upgrde to the full tacti-cool 'VTAC' model for $1,989 retail.
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

- Janq
    oneshot, SIXTO, TN_Mike and 5 others like this.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I agree with Janq on this. For $600 you're getting a good, basic rifle. My only complaint with it would be the lack of chrome-lining in the barrel, just because I enjoy being able to have it look so sharp after relatively few patches going through it. Aside from that, looks like you get your money's worth here.
    oneshot and NIS350ZTT like this.

RKM
    I like my tacticool AR15 :) I have a Bipod/forward grip (Grippod), holosight and magnifier, houge grip, because the standard grip really does suck. All plenty useful for range use. Only things I have that really make no difference is my Magpul MOE stock (looks cool) and I want to buy a TLR-1 light.

Janq is right though. Many people don't NEED anything more than an iron sight AR. But there are some add on's that can make plinking more enjoyable or comfortable, such as bipods, different grips, and optics.

If saving money is what you're all about, cool.

Just bought one Today!

First of all, this is a GREAT Forum! Just found it a few days ago and it is already becoming my GO TO place to have my stupid questions answered by smart people!

Just got this today for 649.00 retail. Will be hitting the range on Friday and will let you all know how it went.

Haven't shot an AR15 since Air Force Basic training 35 years ago so I am excited to get myself and my 19 yr old son having fun with this gun.

Thanks again to the Moderators for a GREAT FORUM!

One thing about iron sights over a red dot is during night time when you can see your target but can't find your irons in the darkness,that red circle with a dot in the middle makes all the difference in the world.I have several AR platforms,but my go to gun has an 11.5" bbl with 5" flash hider,A2 upper and 6 position collapsible butt stock,All told I have in it is about $600.00
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

At a street price around 6 bills, Smith should sell a ton of these AR's! As already stated, it is all most people REALLY need. With a rock-bottom entry price and lifetime warranty from a well known manufacturer, it should be perceived as a great value. Practical people + folks on a budget + the congenitally cheap = a big market!
    oneshot and Justified like this.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

Just bought one today at Cabelas......599 on sale with a 100 off coupon........For 499......what A buy. It a quality S&W without all the bells and whistles

sgb
    Looks like a good beginner gun.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Looks like a good beginner gun.
    Yes, and one thing leads to another. DAMHIK!
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life)

As an outfitter that works for Cabela's on the gun line i can say that this is a GREAT buy for the money.
    Kahr CW9, Sig Sauer P226 SCT 9mm, Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm, FNH FNP .45 Tactical
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

thinking of getting one

I am looking at purchasing one of these for $635. what can be added to this. I am new to the AR world so looking as you all have mentioned at getting in on the ground floor and then probably getting hooked in. So can red dot sights be added or a rail system etc.

thanks

brent

As with any AR you can add pretty much anything you want to it. Red dot and a rail system up front are possible. As far as I can tell the only thing you really cant add to it would be an enhanced trigger gaurd as the trigger gaurd on the Sport is a built in part of the lower. Also you wont be able to add a custom dust cover as it simply does not exist on the sport. Same with a new forward assist. If I were you I would get one of these ASAP due to ULTRA high demands on this fire Smith & Wesson has told Cabela's that we have exceded their expected numbers and until they can catch up we can't at this time order anymore.
    Kahr CW9, Sig Sauer P226 SCT 9mm, Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm, FNH FNP .45 Tactical
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

Chalk316

Thanks for the info. I went to my local Cabelas and they were all sold out. They put me down for a rain check which i was the 145th one they have given out. They said that they would be in sometime mid June. They did say though that there was no limit on how many rain checks they could give out so I guess will see.

I am knew to the AR world so if you can help me out with a couple things that you said. You mentioned adding a rail system. this would be the area where the M&P is actually rounded between the trigger and the end of the barrel correct? I found out what a dust cover was this weekend so I am good there. Are they recommended for civilian use? What is a forward assist?

thanks for your help.

brent

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links