Getting a shotty "there." CT specific answer needed but general will help too.

This is a discussion on Getting a shotty "there." CT specific answer needed but general will help too. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK, I'm not at all a rifle or shotty person and I have paid attention only to CHL laws with regards to interstate transport and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Getting a shotty "there." CT specific answer needed but general will help too.

  1. #1
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,658

    Getting a shotty "there." CT specific answer needed but general will help too.

    OK, I'm not at all a rifle or shotty person and I have paid attention only to CHL laws with regards to interstate transport and purchasing in other states.

    Here's a situation, and I have no idea what options I might have.

    Fact-- 1) Own a cabin in a rural area of CT

    Fact--2) Will drive to CT from TX Probably stay in cabin for up to 4 months but will leave state periodically to avoid becoming a resident, need to change DL and vehicle registration. Gun will remain in cabin.

    Fact--3) Would like to either buy a shotty here (TX) and take it with me, or if at all possible buy it there in CT.

    Question. Last time I was in CT with a TX DL, they wouldn't even sell me a box of 22lr. I suppose I could bring some shot gun shells with me in my car to feed a shoty once there. Is that correct? Is that legal?

    Question. Am I correct that they can't sell me a shotty in CT because I am not a resident there? [I think that is Federal law, but I am uncertain if it applies only to handguns or to everything.]

    Question. Is it legal to put one in the back of the SUV unloaded and drive to CT? Any special issues with NJ, NY that can't be avoided by just not stopping in either? Would answer be different if it is auto loading shotty instead of pump?

    Related, yes I know I can get non-resident CWP, but I don't really feel I need a concealed weapon where I'll be. I do need a shotty for HD, snakes, maybe even some Bobcats, and there still would be potential problems going through NJ and NY.

    Question. Is is legal to ship a shotty , UPS or FedX to CT from TX, and would it be legal to pick it up / receive it in CT? Are there special transfer and registration issues in CT which might apply to a gun brought in by common carrier or by private vehicle?

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Distinguished Member
    Array fastk9dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    1,554
    You should be fine transporting a long gun locked in a box with ammo locked in a separate box. Just don't run afoul of any states magazine restrictions or other restrictions.

    AFIAK, you can only buy a long gun in your home state (TX) or one that neighbors your home state. So since TX isn't next to CT you're out of luck buying one here.

    I don't know about shipping.

    Not sure why they wouldn't sell you ammo, that may have been store policy. For that you could just order online and have shipped there.
    Last edited by fastk9dad; January 30th, 2011 at 06:02 PM.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

  4. #3
    Senior Member Array Rigrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South
    Posts
    910
    I'm not sure about the only buying a long gun in your state or a bordering state. Few years back I legally bought a long gun in Kentucky and I live in Ms.
    May be the way they do it up north just not down south here.

  5. #4
    Distinguished Member
    Array fastk9dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    1,554
    I did some double checking... CT will sell a gun to anyone out of state with a 14 day wait unless you have a CCW or hunting license. But Texas has a contiguous state restriction, so not sure how that would work. Ok if he doesn't bring it back to Texas?


    46.07. INTERSTATE PURCHASE. A resident of this state
    may, if not otherwise precluded by law, purchase firearms,
    ammunition, reloading components, or firearm accessories in
    contiguous states. This authorization is enacted in conformance
    with Section 922(b)(3)(A), Public Law 90-618, 90th Congress.
    Last edited by fastk9dad; January 30th, 2011 at 06:04 PM.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

  6. #5
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,658
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I did some double checking... CT will sell a gun to anyone out of state with a 14 day wait unless you have a CCW or hunting license. (It's NY that only allows contiguous purchases). But it does seem Texas has a contiguous state restriction, so not sure how that would work. Ok if he doesn't bring it back to Texas?
    I don't want to buy the gun while I am out of state, out of CT, if this is what you are suggesting. I want to know if I can purchase it while in CT. Your initial answer was NO. I think you are right on that initial answer but I am still uncertain. Guess I'll need to contact a couple of gun stores near where I'll be. If I can't buy a shoty there, I'll bring one.

    If you live in CT are you allowed to have a handgun in your home without a license? Since I am going to my own property, would I be technically legal to bring a handgun using the Federal travel law because I am legally allowed to have it in TX, and (maybe?) legally allowed to have it in my home in CT-- the destination. In other words, won't be concealed carrying but need one in the cabin.

  7. #6
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    10,398
    fastk9 has it right re purchase of a long arm. Yes, you may ship it to yourself via common carrier - just as if you were headed there for a hunting trip. You will have no problems buying shotgun or rifle ammo there with nothing more than proof of age 18 or older. I have no idea why you were denied the purchase of .22 ammo, as there is no CT residency requirement for ammo - just the Fed 21 or older law for anything that can feed a handgun.

    So you're a part-time Nutmegger? I lived in CT for over 35 years and still have strong ties there, including a few guns in a friend's safe which eliminates air travel hiccups when I go back there to visit (CT permit is now the non-res variety). Depending on where your cabin is (don't need to be too specific, even the county is good enough) I might be able to connect you with a FFL who would accept your shipped shotgun and hold it for you until you get there.

    Since you'll be there for a good length of time, you might even apply for a non-resident Pistol Permit. You'll have to take the course (not a big hurdle), then apply in the town where you're staying and then once you get the town permit, apply to the state. I think that will make future long gun purchases in CT easier for you.

    If you take the gun with you in your vehicle, about the only places I would avoid stopping are NJ and NYC, although even if the worst happened, at least you won't have handgun issues to deal with. There really is no reason to enter NYC if you're headed to anywhere in CT except the coastal, I-95 corridor; just take the Tappan Zee and then 684 to 84. Keep the gun in a case (locked is good, I think even the cheapie Doskosil hard cases have some provision for locks) if your vehicle doesn't have a separate compartment like a trunk, and you should be fine. CT won't care if it's pump or semi-auto, just don't run afoul of their AW ban (can't have 3 or more of pistol grip, bayonet lug, detachable mag, collapsible stock, & some other cosmetic crap [like maybe the color black]). I think as long as you don't bring a Saiga shotgun along you'll be within the law.

    Your comment about "to avoid becoming a resident" caught my eye. In practical terms, only the DMV really cares about your residency, and only for the sake of collecting fees. You'll see a number of FL and VT tags in CT - especially on expensive cars - to avoid paying local property taxes on CT-registered cars. There are colleges in nearly every county where out-of-state vehicle tags abound, and the enforcement "residency" regulations is essentially nil. But hey, if you head up to the Cape for a weekend every month you'll meet the letter of the law.

    Just saw your newer post. Handguns are a little different; you essentially get one chance to transport the handgun to your residence or place of business. It has to stay there - indoors, not even on your front lawn or parking lot - unless you have a CT Pistol Permit, or if it's going to a gunsmith. My admonitions about avoiding stops in NJ or travel through NYC are strengthened if you're transporting a handgun, Federal law notwithstanding.

    BTW, separate issue, and don't want to hijack the thread, but - if you own property in CT, you pay taxes there, but you can't vote on local issues there. I'm curious as to your thoughts on "taxation without representation."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

  8. #7
    Distinguished Member
    Array fastk9dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    1,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I don't want to buy the gun while I am out of state, out of CT, if this is what you are suggesting. I want to know if I can purchase it while in CT. Your initial answer was NO. I think you are right on that initial answer but I am still uncertain. Guess I'll need to contact a couple of gun stores near where I'll be. If I can't buy a shoty there, I'll bring one.
    No, not what I was suggesting. I don't think you can guy one in CT because you are a Texas resident and TX law says you can only buy from a contiguous state. CT might not know that law and sell it to you anyway but if for some reason you ever brought the long gun back to TX you'd be in violation unless you shipped back via an FFL.

    If you live in CT are you allowed to have a handgun in your home without a license? Since I am going to my own property, would I be technically legal to bring a handgun using the Federal travel law because I am legally allowed to have it in TX, and (maybe?) legally allowed to have it in my home in CT-- the destination. In other words, won't be concealed carrying but need one in the cabin.
    I'm not sure, someone in CT would need to answer that. I do know CT residents need a purchase permit to purchase but don't have to get the CCW permit if they are going to just keep it in their home. Probably easier and safer if you just got the permit.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

  9. #8
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,658
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    fastk9 has it right re purchase of a long arm. Yes, you may ship it to yourself via common carrier - just as if you were headed there for a hunting trip. You will have no problems buying shotgun or rifle ammo there with nothing more than proof of age 18 or older. I have no idea why you were denied the purchase of .22 ammo, as there is no CT residency requirement for ammo - just the Fed 21 or older law for anything that can feed a handgun.

    So you're a part-time Nutmegger? I lived in CT for over 35 years and still have strong ties there, including a few guns in a friend's safe which eliminates air travel hiccups when I go back there to visit (CT permit is now the non-res variety). Depending on where your cabin is (don't need to be too specific, even the county is good enough) I might be able to connect you with a FFL who would accept your shipped shotgun and hold it for you until you get there.

    Since you'll be there for a good length of time, you might even apply for a non-resident Pistol Permit. You'll have to take the course (not a big hurdle), then apply in the town where you're staying and then once you get the town permit, apply to the state. I think that will make future long gun purchases in CT easier for you.

    If you take the gun with you in your vehicle, about the only places I would avoid stopping are NJ and NYC, although even if the worst happened, at least you won't have handgun issues to deal with. There really is no reason to enter NYC if you're headed to anywhere in CT except the coastal, I-95 corridor; just take the Tappan Zee and then 684 to 84. Keep the gun in a case (locked is good, I think even the cheapie Doskosil hard cases have some provision for locks) if your vehicle doesn't have a separate compartment like a trunk, and you should be fine. CT won't care if it's pump or semi-auto, just don't run afoul of their AW ban (can't have 3 or more of pistol grip, bayonet lug, detachable mag, collapsible stock, & some other cosmetic crap [like maybe the color black]). I think as long as you don't bring a Saiga shotgun along you'll be within the law.

    Your comment about "to avoid becoming a resident" caught my eye. In practical terms, only the DMV really cares about your residency, and only for the sake of collecting fees. You'll see a number of FL and VT tags in CT - especially on expensive cars - to avoid paying local property taxes on CT-registered cars. There are colleges in nearly every county where out-of-state vehicle tags abound, and the enforcement "residency" regulations is essentially nil. But hey, if you head up to the Cape for a weekend every month you'll meet the letter of the law.

    Just saw your newer post. Handguns are a little different; you essentially get one chance to transport the handgun to your residence or place of business. It has to stay there - indoors, not even on your front lawn or parking lot - unless you have a CT Pistol Permit, or if it's going to a gunsmith. My admonitions about avoiding stops in NJ or travel through NYC are strengthened if you're transporting a handgun, Federal law notwithstanding.

    BTW, separate issue, and don't want to hijack the thread, but - if you own property in CT, you pay taxes there, but you can't vote on local issues there. I'm curious as to your thoughts on "taxation without representation."
    Gasmitty, thanks, from one Yankee to another.

    Taking this backwards. TAXATION. I am sure our Assessor Collector is a fine woman, but I'd like to "strangle" her. They insist on valuing my barely suitable for habitation cabin at the same sq ft rate as the mansions up the road. Even after hiring a lawyer to fight them, it was a temporary fix/concession, as 10 years later they went back to their old tricks. So, yes, this is a big deal. I don't mind paying the taxes, I object to the valuation and the fact that usually by the time I'm notified of the opportunity to appeal it is after the fact or the Selectmen are meeting to hear appeals in the dead of winter when I can't be there.

    I'm not likely to apply for the non-res. permit. I'd still have to ship to an FFL ahead as I don't want to drive through NJ or NY with a handgun--- just don't trust them at all on these matters. And, yes, now I recall that you can't even go outside onto your lawn without a handgun license so there isn't much point.

    I might be able to connect you with a FFL who would accept your shipped shotgun and hold it for you until you get there.
    Any help appreciated. Middlesex County; or East Hampton, Colchester, general vicinity of.... Think east of the river and South from Middletown for general vicinity.

    On the "resident thing" we've been down this road. To be safe gotta leave the state. Yes, no one will notice where I am going to be, but a quick trip into RI will solve the problem.

    On routing around NYC. Yes, will need to go out of my way and use 84-684. Last time (in the fall) it took me an hour to get across the GW bridge and past the Cross Bronx expressway.

    My best bet would indeed be to buy a shoty here, and get it held for me at an FFL near where I am going. That way I don't have to transport it and since it is shipped to myself they aren't selling it to me there.

    Thanks.

  10. #9
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,658
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    No, not what I was suggesting. I don't think you can guy one in CT because you are a Texas resident and TX law says you can only buy from a contiguous state. CT might not know that law and sell it to you anyway but if for some reason you ever brought the long gun back to TX you'd be in violation unless you shipped back via an FFL.
    I have no plans to take it back to Texas. It will stay in CT. I thought it was illegal for a CT FFL to sell a shoty or rifle to a resident of another state; I thought that was BATFE's regulation. Do I have that wrong?

    I guess I should just call a couple of gun stores near where I'll be and find out if they can sell me something or not.

  11. #10
    Member Array mandalitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Newport, RI
    Posts
    362
    I believe you can be a long gun with either a CT hunting license, and a handgun with a CCW. CT CCWs are pretty easy to get so I recommend that you get one since you cannot legally carry a gun even on your own property outside your house/cabin.

  12. #11
    Distinguished Member
    Array fastk9dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    1,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I have no plans to take it back to Texas. It will stay in CT. I thought it was illegal for a CT FFL to sell a shoty or rifle to a resident of another state; I thought that was BATFE's regulation. Do I have that wrong?
    A long gun sale to an out of state resident is legal if both states allow it. Since TX doesn't allow sales in non-contiguous states it wouldn't be legal.

    18 USC 922 (b) (3) (A) (referenced in the TX law I posted above):

    (3) any firearm to any person who the licensee knows or has
    reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person
    is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a
    place of business in) the State in which the licensee's place of
    business is located, except that this paragraph (A) shall not
    apply to the sale or delivery of any rifle or shotgun to a
    resident of a State other than a State in which the licensee's
    place of business is located if the transferee meets in person
    with the transferor to accomplish the transfer, and the sale,
    delivery, and receipt fully comply with the legal conditions of
    sale in both such States
    (and any licensed manufacturer, importer
    or dealer shall be presumed, for purposes of this subparagraph,
    in the absence of evidence to the contrary, to have had actual
    knowledge of the State laws and published ordinances of both
    States), and (B) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a
    firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting
    purposes;

    I guess I should just call a couple of gun stores near where I'll be and find out if they can sell me something or not.
    I doubt they would. They can't take your word that you aren't going to bring it back to TX.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

  13. #12
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,658
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    A long gun sale to an out of state resident is legal if both states allow it. Since TX doesn't allow sales in non-contiguous states it wouldn't be legal.

    18 USC 922 (b) (3) (A) (referenced in the TX law I posted above):

    I doubt they would. They can't take your word that you aren't going to bring it back to TX.
    Ah, so it is not a Federal issue but is due to Texas law. Weird.

    Do you know if they can sell a shoty to someone from PA? Not sure if it would be a straw purchase if my son (PA resident) bought it and left it at the cabin. Sounds dicey, but also rather a ridiculous situation :)-

    I guess the real question is whether or not a CT FFL would turn it over to me even if I had it shipped FFL to FFL. I need to make some phone calls to dealers there.

  14. #13
    Distinguished Member
    Array fastk9dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Posts
    1,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Ah, so it is not a Federal issue but is due to Texas law. Weird.
    Gotta love the myriad of laws.

    Do you know if they can sell a shoty to someone from PA? Not sure if it would be a straw purchase if my son (PA resident) bought it and left it at the cabin. Sounds dicey, but also rather a ridiculous situation :)-
    I don't believe PA has any restrictions on where their residents can purchase long arms so that would be ok. I don't think it would qualify as a straw purchase as you are allowed legally to possess the firearm in question.

    I guess the real question is whether or not a CT FFL would turn it over to me even if I had it shipped FFL to FFL. I need to make some phone calls to dealers there.
    I don't see why they wouldn't, since you aren't trying to buy something, you just want to save the hassel of transporting it across the country.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

  15. #14
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,917
    I would say that the easiest and safest way to do this is to buy your shotgun in Texas, keep it in a locked hard case in the back of your SUV and bring it with you to CT.

    You can either buy ammo for it in CT or bring some ammo with you as long as you keep it in a separate locked case as you travel. Pretty simple.

    The only thing which would jam you up is if you are bringing some sort of exotic shotgun as defined by unfriendly gun states. However, even in NJ you can pass through with an unloaded shotgun of "typical configuration" in a locked case. (By typical, I mean standard stock, Rem 870 or 1187 or similar gun readily used for hunting. No speedfeed stocks, no collapsible stocks, no pistol grip, no extended magazines, etc.) I wouldn't try bringing one of the new Kel-Tec KSG's through NJ.

    If you want to modify your shotgun after you get there for defensive purposes, no problem, as long as you are in compliance with CT state laws.


    Do you have a particular shotgun in mind?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  16. #15
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,658
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Do you have a particular shotgun in mind?
    Not yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. General Aviation Airport removes "no guns" sign -- Manassas Virginia
    By DaveH in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 29th, 2009, 07:48 PM
  2. 23 State Attorneys General To AG Holder: "No Semi-Auto Ban"
    By sigman232 in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: June 19th, 2009, 03:09 PM
  3. 23 State Attorneys General To Attorney General Holder: "No Semi-Auto Ban"
    By Chroode in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: June 15th, 2009, 03:05 AM
  4. From the Law Dog Files or "I guess that answer would be a Yes" or Why I love Texas".
    By Jungle Work in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: April 11th, 2007, 10:01 PM

Search tags for this page

buying a shotgun in ct

,
can i bring my shotgun from ny to connecticut
,

can i keep a shotgun in my car in connecticut

,

cz 712 pistol grip

,

cz 712 pistol grip stock

,

cz 712 utility pistol grip

,
gun sale mississippi resident border state
,

how long will it take my pistol permit in colchester,ct?

,
keltec ksg connecticut
,

pistol grip shotgun in connecticut

,

rifle in car connecticut

,

sell rifle from ct to ny

Click on a term to search for related topics.