Defensive Carry banner

AR15 in 6.8spc

16K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  LanceORYGUN 
#1 ·
My interest has been peaked in the 6.8spc cartridge and wanted to know if there are any factory rifles, not uppersor conversions, but complete factory ARs chambered in 6.8spc that are affordable (1000ish and under) who are also reliable and solidly built? What are the options? Ruger makes one, it's a 1500ish and I saw Rock River has one for about 1000ish. I don't know anything about these 2 in terms of reliability and performance or what else is out there?? I'm sure theres a nice afforable, solidly buil AR15 in 6.8spc - please educate me!! Thanks!

#4 ·
No - the idea was to design a cartridge with greater punch downrange but that fits within the existing AR-15 platform, unlike the .308/7.62x51 models which require a longer action and a bigger mag well.

#8 ·
Rock Rivers rifles are top notch in quality. I bought one in .223 for my son, and we were both very impressed by it.

Are you really sure that you want a gun in 6.8 SPC?

Ammo is far more expensive. Do you reload?

Recoil is heavier. And at close quarters, the .223 is just as effective a manstopper.

Here is a photo of my son's Rock River:

No matter what brand you buy, be sure to get a chrome lined barrel.

#9 ·
Are you really sure that you want a gun in 6.8 SPC?

Ammo is far more expensive. Do you reload?

Recoil is heavier. And at close quarters, the .223 is just as effective a manstopper.
+1

I wanted to buy a 6.8 upper with 6.8 mags and just sell my .223 upper. But after thinking about it, I just realized that was a stupid idea. The only reason I want 6.8SPC was being it was "different" and has better stopping power. But then I thought, 6.8SPC isn't going to be easy to find in stores. Online, maybe. And it'll easily be more expensive. As far as stopping power, I agree with LanceORYGUN. Up close, the 6.8SPC may have a slight edge but, the .223/5.56NATO round is very effective, especially when using good 75-77gr OTM ammo. I'd say long range is when the 6.8SPC will probably have a clear advantage over the .223/5.56NATO. Besides, I don't hunt, and the chance of me needing my AR in a defense situation is VERY low. So I got some 75Gr TAP for up close and personal stuff if it's ever (probably never) needed. If I really needed to do damage at a distance... I'd look at a .308 or .30-06 round.

If the 6.8SPC is really what you want, go for it! If money was not a factor, I'd have a dedicated 6.8SPC rifle :) But it is, so .223 will have to suffice.

#10 ·
I have considered a 6.8 upper to put on my Stag # 1. For around $700 I can have the complete upper and a couple 5 round mags. This would make a good hog and deer rifle. My 5.56 upper would be my shooter and defense setup with my red dot and the 6.8 with the 3X9 would be for hunting. 6.8 ammo is on the pricey side but if it was just for hunting I could afford a couple boxes for hunting season.Maybe for my birthday.

Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Air gun

#11 ·
I've had a couple. It's a great cartridge, but there's not much I can do with it that one of my 5.56's or 7.62's can't handle. The BIG thing for me with the 6.8 cartridge is that I can run it in an 8" gun and still have great performance. As we know, 5.56 and 7.62 both work best in 14.5"+ barrels, perform fine in 12" barrels, but really lose their steam below 10.5". The 6.8 hardly loses anything in the shorter barrels, in comparison.

As for those that make complete rifles, I would not buy from anyone besides Barrett, LWRC, LMT MRP (with 6.8 conversion barrel and bolt), KAC (if they made one), Noveske and BCM & Colt (if they made one). PERSONALLY, I'd stay away from RRA, Bushmaster, etc. You'll pay a little more for these, but you get proper staking, HP and MPI testing, chrome lined & cold hammer forged barrels, etc.

Oh, I'd also stay away from piston guns and stick with DI (unless we're talking less than 9"). There's also no reason not to just buy the upper and run it on one of your current lowers from a 5.56. It won't make any difference and most people I know that end up with a 6.8 just buy the upper.

LWRC PSD 8" 6.8spc

#12 ·
I purchased a Stag Arms 5L (left handed) last year. Love it. Had a few jams in the first 50 rds or so, but no problems since (prob due to lubrication). I do plan on upgrading the stock at some point in the future. In my area, I rarely find ammo on the shelves (Cabela's). I've ordered online thru Midway USA, but recently found another source, JEK Inc. The store front is in my home town, so I typically pick up a few cases when I'm there visiting family/friends. I've fired mine accurately out to 200yds. Currently have a 4x12 Nikon Prostaff mounted. Ammo is typically $1/rd.
If you don't have a specific application in mind, I guess it's really up to preference. If you're looking for a bullet hose, probably not the best choice.

#13 ·
I left out that if were to ever buy another 6.8, I'd probably go for a precision 16" upper. If you were to do it that way, ammo is much closer in price to the precision 5.56 stuff. Don't get me wrong, I rattle off some rounds doing drills with the 6.8, but I prefer the 5.56 for that for numerous reasons. So, you might want to look at doing it that way… BUT AGAIN, I still can't see doing that over a Mk 18 Mod 1 5.56 or a M110/SR-25 or even the LMT MWS in 7.62. Just thinking out loud here, sorry. I've just gone through so many guns in these platforms and even when I buy 6.8's, I always wonder why I didn't put it towards something else.

I'd strongly suggest starting out with just an upper. If you like it that much, buy another lower and make a dedicated 6.8. There is NO disadvantage in doing this over buying a complete rifle all at once, nothing is fitted between the lower and upper.. Now, if you DO NOT currently own an AR you can do this with, I'd absolutely say skip the 6.8 and go with a nice 5.56..

You might want to take a look at the 6.5 Grendel. I'd also suggest going over to 68forums. Remember, you want the scpII chamber and a minimum of 1:10 twist.

Good luck.

#14 ·
#17 ·
You could go with a 12" and still have more power and about the trajectory of a 16" 5.56. I've rung steel constantly at 300 yards with the PSD (8" barrel). Bullet flight from Knight's Armament is an awesome app on my iPhone and iPad! It works for every gun I have and works perfectly perfectly too.

The best defensive ammo is Silver State Armory 115 grain "enhanced fragmentation". Hornady TAP in 6.8 is new but if it's as good as 75 grain 5.56, it may best SSA.

#18 ·
The best defensive ammo is Silver State Armory 115 grain "enhanced fragmentation". Hornady TAP in 6.8 is new but if it's as good as 75 grain 5.56, it may best SSA.
I see that Silver State is now loading the new Nosler Accubond 110 gr 6.8mm bullet, as well as the Barnes TSX 110 gr for 6.8mm. Those should both make excellent hunting and self-defense rounds with excellent penetration abilities.

The Accubond has proven itself reliable on a wide variety of big game.

The photos on the Silver State website showing customers taking big game with this Accubond 110 gr 6.8mm load is most impressive. Here are a couple of them ( both taken with a single shot ):

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.