Help with AK options

This is a discussion on Help with AK options within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK need some quick help on first AK purchase. A shop had 3 different variants. 1) Romanian Wasr 10, stamped $400 2) ATI with Milled ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with AK options

Help with AK options

OK need some quick help on first AK purchase. A shop had 3 different variants.

1) Romanian Wasr 10, stamped $400
    2) ATI with Milled Receiver $550
    3) Polish with milled receiver - dont remember the brand $650

Basically all I am looking for is a reliable yet acurate 100-150yrds No muss, no fuss rifle. Possibly SHTF too. That's all the info I have, on the models, they were all very similiar aside form the receiver. The stock looked like crap on the Romoanian but that's only cosmetic and not a big deal. The romanian was also lighter which was nice. So, any ideas on which one to go with, if any?? Another shop also had a Century WASR for $400ish. I wish I had more info but they were very similiar aside form the milled vs stamped receiver

2. Remove Ads

I would generally vote for a milled receiver (although I have a stamped Norinco), but......I have no experience with any of the specific AK's of which you inquire. I would do some in-depth internet research on all three before buying. Milled receiver's are heavier, if you plan on lugging it around much.

Sorry to not be a lot of help.

You have an in-bound PM too.

RKM
    There are better AK's out there than the WASR, but I'm happy with mine. Checked for canted sights and gas tubes. They're reliable, as any other AK variant. I've never shot it at 100 yards yet, but it's decently accurate at 25. I think the fit and finish is the biggest thing you lose when going with the WASR... but IMO, it's an AK, who cares? I know I don't. Still fit and finish isn't horrible. You can always buy different grips and stock and spruce it up a bit.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Once again today, I'll write that WASRs are hit and miss... and mostly miss. If you do find a jewel of a WASR, it's still not a great rifle.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

You know what I'm going to say....

same thing I said back in November.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I picked up an underfolding stock WASR last week. The wooden hand guards were horriblely rough and unfinished. $30 worth of sand paper, min-wax red mahogany stain and min-wax polyurithane took care of that. As far as the finish I just degreased it and hit it with Krylon flat black outdoor paint, let it dry and wiped it down with a silicone cloth. I also wiped the charging handle and bolt carrier down with white vinigar to remove the blueing and then polished it with a dremel and jewlers rough. I think it looks great now and it didn't cost much to "pretty" it up. As far as performance goes I ran 120 rounds through it without a single malfunction and was hitting the inner portion of the target at 50 yards. Having owned a Mak 90 in the past I was somewhat skeptical of the WASR and have unfairly compared the two in the past. Although the Mak 90 looked better it did not out perform the WASR. Just my 2 cents.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i love my WASR, its an underfolder with synthetic furniture and I mounted a Blackhawk CQB one point sling on it just for giggles. Do i plan on using the sling as anything other than dropping the rifle to transition to my pistol at the range? nope sure don't. but if the shtf it will be nice to have. BTW, I can drop 5 rounds in the center at 75 feet, not dead center, but fairly close together. Will be working on getting better
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Take a look at a VZ-58, basicly the Chek's took and AK and made a few improvements and what they came up with has a milled reciever yet is about 1 pound lighter then a stamped AK. Oh and although it kinda looks like an AK there are no interchangeable parts, not even the mags. You can find a Century build for under $400.
    Somebody kicked my dog Mavis and I'm going to find out just who the hell it was.

Leaning towards the WASR but prefer the all black look. Are these available?? Also, I read about Saiga AKs - how are they??

Saiga's are pretty good.

So I went to Saigas site and it appears they are not pistol grip. Is there a simple attachment, such as this ACE stock that would work? I searched and people used them on the the Saiga 12s but not sure if they work on Saiga AKs?
    http://store.carolinashooterssupply....KELETON/Detail

Read here for all your saiga questions.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showforum=5

Conversions are easy...don't just bolt on a pistol grip/stock. It works (I did it long ago) but the trigger put back in its original place is WAY better.

There's even plenty of threads in here about them too.

The same store your link is has great basic conversion packages with all the needed parts.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply....ITS/Categories

Conversion kits sound complicated. Is the ACE stock a conversion kit or bolt on?

I have a Romanian WASR and I like it, though if I get another AK I'll probably take a crack at a Bulgarian build.

The link you posted is a conversion free $125 bolt on part. It mentions there is no need to move the trigger forward.

Saiga's are pretty much out of stock at most places right now. With the money for the bolt on Ace and pistol grip you can get a good AK already done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links