Need help!!! Ar15 sights!

This is a discussion on Need help!!! Ar15 sights! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok... So I went with a spikes st15 midlength thanks to all the help from everyone on this site. I was wandering though. Before they ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help!!! Ar15 sights!

Question Need help!!! Ar15 sights!

Ok... So I went with a spikes st15 midlength thanks to all the help from everyone on this site. I was wandering though. Before they ship it out do y'all think that I should have them ditch the carry handle and add mbus sights? Or use the carry handle?? It's going to be a while before I can afford $400 aimpoints or eotechs. So I am stuck with the irons for a while which I am not complaining about... That's how I need to learn IMHO. So what say the? Better to wait and add them myself? Add them now and ditch the handle?? Use the handle?? Thanks in advance!!

2. Remove Ads

Personally, I would talk to Spikes, and see what kind of deal they will cut you on a stand alone sight as opposed to the carrying handle. I have never ordered from them, but it seems like you can pretty much customize it to your liking with them.

So try to get a quality stand alone iron sight instead of the carrying handle. That will allow you to still run irons, and additionally, get those irons zero'd to you. Plus, my preference for EOtechs and Aimpoints is to co-witness them with a set of iron sights, so if you want to go that route you need a rear sight that isn't the carrying handle if that makes sense. So I would add them now and ditch the handle, no sense in paying for the handle if you don't plan on using it in 6 months.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I'll second buckeye's comment. Carry handles go for $100 +/-, and if you can get that back as a credit toward irons that mount on a flat-top, do it.

Next - if the primary sights (not 'back-ups') are irons, I'd skip the plastic Mag-Puls in favor of Troy (tops, in my book), Yankee Hill, Daniel Defense or similar. I'm OK with the MBUS for true backups - they're not for Camp Perry! - but get something more substantial for primary sights until you can afford an Aimpoint.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I think they have an option for a samson rear. It is $10 more if i remember correctly.

I actually ordered the same rifle the other day.

I'll second the getting of a more heavy duty sight if it is going to be your only one for a while. Nothing against Mag-pul, I love their gear, but I don't really like the plastic sights.

For what it is worth, my BUIS isn't even a folding one. It is this model from Larue: http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetac...tail.bok?no=29

Always there, co-witnessed to my Aimpoint, so I can switch to it quickly if I need to. It's a pretty robust unit too. Works great for me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have the Magpul rear, it is not my primary, it is one of the few that is low profile enough when folded to allow use of a magnifier in conjunction with my red dot. I also have an folding ARMS which is more substantial but too high for use with the magnifier. I would definitely go without the handle, it was the first thing to go on my AR. If you want the ARMS, PM me.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I ordered my Mid-Length without the A2 carry handle. I went with the Samson set up. They are made from 6061 aluminum. This material looks to be good stuff. I will have to wait for the Aim-point too.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

I too need a rear BUIS to go on my Spikes AR. I'm waiting for either a Troy or a MI to go on sale so I can keep this one a budget build.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Well ok guys and gals... I just called spikes and spoke with Garret. This call just further proved there awesome customer service. I upgraded to Troy sights for $30!! They gave me $100 credit on the handle!thanks for all the advice as always it helped!! Now just have to do something to wait about 2 more weeks before they ship her out!

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Well ok guys and gals... I just called spikes and spoke with Garret. This call just further proved there awesome customer service. I upgraded to Troy sights for $30!! They gave me $100 credit on the handle!thanks for all the advice as always it helped!! Now just have to do something to wait about 2 more weeks before they ship her out!
    Their customer service is out of the ball park. Stock up on ammo the next two weeks, you will need it!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Funny you say that... Ever since I ordered it everytime me and the wife go get groceries at Walmart I make it an excuse of " oh baby while were here I am just going to buy a couple of boxes!" hahaha. let me ask another question to all of y'all... Is there a website or something that I can buy in bulk for cheap?? Don't say cheaper than dirt please.... I don't like them

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    For the best deal on ammo you might look here...

http://gun-deals.com/index.php
    Proud NRA member

KAC 200-600 rear and flip up front, or Daniel Defense or LMT fixed rear and front. Best of the best in my experience….. This is after breaking a Troy rear and seeing two others broken from hard use, but Troy's are still a good choice.

Jonathan
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Sight the iron sights in at 50 yards on the carry handle and it will be .5" high at 100 yards and 1.5" low at 200 yards with 55gr FMJ rounds. Perfect.

http://www.fsguns.com/ibsz.html

Thanks orangevol! That website is great. Full of deals. Even on ak's. Might be were I purchase one next. Btw, where in tn do you live. I work in Memphis but travel all over the state. Me and the wife are thinking of Nashville.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links