Timney AR trigger.

This is a discussion on Timney AR trigger. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I shelled out the cash for a new AR trigger. My factory trigger was a serious turd! I dropped in the 4lb Timney trigger (they ...

Thread: Timney AR trigger.

VIP Member

Timney AR trigger.

I shelled out the cash for a new AR trigger. My factory trigger was a serious turd! I dropped in the 4lb Timney trigger (they make a lighter one) and it is AWESOME! It took about ten minutes and my trigger went from about a 8 lb, gritty with a mile of creep trigger to a sublime 4 pound trigger. It breaks clean and no creep.

The Timney triggers are not cheap, but boy are they worth it.

Anyone who wants to try it can come on up to NE Ohio....bring your own ammo. :)
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

2. Remove Ads

I might need to take you up on that offer sometime.

Enjoy the new trigger. Out of curiosity, what is the main function of the AR you put it in?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    The Timney is probably the easiest solution for converting an AR-15 to a good single stage trigger pull. It is available in both 3 and 4 lb settings. For a self-defense rifle, 4lb would definitely be preferable.

I've got the old, original JP Enterprises Single Stage Trigger in both of my AR-15's. They still only cost $120 ( I believe that I paid only $100 back when I got mine ), but take a great deal of work to install. While they have instructional videos on the JP Enterprises website on how to install them, it is so involved that many folks opt to have a gunsmith install them instead. And when you do that, you lose all of the advantage of the lower cost. That's what I did, and simply had gunsmiths put them in for me. Of course, this was all many years before the Timney came on the market, so it was not even an available option back then.

I've got the one on my Colt Model 6724 Varminter tuned down to only 2 1/2 lbs. But it is a varmint hunting rifle, so that is OK. I currently have my custom combat AR-15 tuned to 3 lbs, which is really lower than it should be. JP Enterprises now makes a drop in like the Timney, but it is actually even more expensive, so it is not as good a deal as the Timney is.

While these trigger upgrades may seem to be expensive at first, they are well worth doing, in my opinion. And with the Timney being so easy to just drop in, anyone that is really serious about shooting their AR-15 should seriously consider getting one, just like ACTTimmy did.

These triggers give the AR-15 a great trigger pull, just like you would get on a fine hunting rifle.

Here is a photo of my Colt 6724 at the range:

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    I might need to take you up on that offer sometime.

Enjoy the new trigger. Out of curiosity, what is the main function of the AR you put it in?
    All of my guns are multi-use. My AR will see plenty of shooting match action and it will also be my EOTWAWKI weapon. It is not for HD unless the poop really, really hits the fan (like in Egypt).

My Glock 17 that I was talking about in another thread will be for IPSC production class and HD.

ETA: I still can't convey with words how bad the factory trigger was and how much nicer the new trigger is.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Great trigger. I should say though that if this rifle's intended purpose is a fighting gun, you'd be better served with a standard Mil-Spec. The ONLY other trigger that are battle worthy are the Geissele SSA and KAC's two-stage. The Timney's work great on precision rigs and range & game guns, but HAVE THE POTENTIAL to (not saying it will) fail you under heavy use.

BUT, since it's not intended for HD, you got yourself an awesome trigger that will undoubtedly tighten up those groups at extended ranges. Definitely money well spent, especially if you are shooting any matches. What division will you be shooting in?

Jonathan
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Just curious, what is your lower/stock trigger assembly?
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I need to start buying more AR's. I want to get a Spikes Mid-length to take over my HD role, and then I plan on building a more precision weapon, akin to the Mark 12. The precision one is definitely going to get a different trigger. And the Bushmaster is going to become my back-up.

Now I just need to hit the lotto, or stop living off of gubmint cheese at least.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Every factory AR trigger sucks,one exception is the RRA 2 stage but it's usually an option,Every Colt,Bushmaster,DPMS etc I ever pulled felt like somebody used beach sand in the lower receiver
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    What division will you be shooting in?
    I'm new to the rifle match game. I'll be unclassified.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Just curious, what is your lower/stock trigger assembly?
    M&P 15

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Larry, I have to agree that the JP triggers are a thing of beauty, once installed. I had one put in a DPMS a way back I have set up for varmint shooting (so it is way too light for an SD trigger). Good to hear there are less expensive / easier options available now.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Every factory AR trigger sucks,one exception is the RRA 2 stage
    I have to agree with you on that. The factory 2 stage trigger on my son's Rock River AR-15 is most impressive indeed.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I've been wanting a timney for a long time. Glad to hear another good report on it. I just can't afford it right now since I've been dropping money left and right on bowhunting.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I've been wanting a timney for a long time. Glad to hear another good report on it. I just can't afford it right now since I've been dropping money left and right on bowhunting.
    It will be worth the wait.

Links