870 locking up

This is a discussion on 870 locking up within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have an 870 express that I have had for a few months. I have shot less than 40 rounds through it and on 1 ...

Thread: 870 locking up

870 locking up

I have an 870 express that I have had for a few months. I have shot less than 40 rounds through it and on 1 out of every 4-5 shots it will not come out of battery after firing. The last few times it did it I had to slam the butt stock into the ground to get the spent casing out of the chamber. I do not for one second think this is normal or something that will go away with time/use. Anyone else with an 870 experienced this type of thing and does anyone have any constructive ideas. I know I can send the gun to Remington but would like to avoid that if possible. Thanks
    "The theory that the children of the Commonwealth are the charge of the Commonwealth is a pagan one, derived from heathen Sparta and Platoís heathen republic, and connected by regular, logical sequence with legalized prostitution and the dissolution of the conjugal tie." R.L. Dabney

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

take apart and give her a good cleaning. this should fix the problem.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Are you using Winchester X (cheapo Wal Mart white box) bird shot? If so, that is your problem. I had the same thing happen to me. The cheap Federal target loads work fine.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I seem to recall a friend having similar issues, and a good cleaning fixing it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Clean her out! My 870 express shoots like a dream. Had to borrow 3 different 870's this season because I left mine at home thinking I wasn't going to duck hunt...every single one had this problem. Cleaned them, and they worked just fine.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Thanks, it has done it with a few different target loads and none where the cheap Wal-Mart brand. I stripped it and cleaned it when I got it but it sounds like I did not get it as clean as a should have. I will tear her down and clean her again. Again thanks for the feedback.
    "The theory that the children of the Commonwealth are the charge of the Commonwealth is a pagan one, derived from heathen Sparta and Platoís heathen republic, and connected by regular, logical sequence with legalized prostitution and the dissolution of the conjugal tie." R.L. Dabney

NRA Member

I did experience the same with mine with old cheap ammo with a less than clean 870.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

If it does it again check the bolt release lever you use to eject a live round in the chamber and make sure it's not sticking
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Duke, that does seem to be to problem. When it locks up the bolt release lever is locked up. Is that a cleaning issue as well?

NRA Member

Mine took a little more than cleaning to fix. Mine had the same symptoms with a variety of target loads. What caused mine to hang up was a rough chamber. I had to polish the chamber with some 0000 steel wool wrapped around a bore brush and chucked into an electric drill. Use some lube / oil on the steel wool keep the bore brush moving in and out (don’t just spin it at one depth). It was pretty easy after I convinced myself to do it.

Using high brass shells will probably also stop the malfunctions, but I think that it should be able to handle the inexpensive target loads, so I polished. You could probably also send it back to Remington to fix the problem. It has been a pretty common complaint with the express models. Polishing the chamber usually fixes the issue.

Another possible cause, which I have experienced, is a tendency of mine to pull the gun into my shoulder by pulling on the fore end. When I do that, the gun sometimes locks up. When that was pointed out to me, I learned to fire while not pulling on the fore end. It hasn't locked up since. An 870 should have no trouble firing while dirty. You ought to see some of the police car mounted shotguns I've seen and fired.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Are you using Winchester X (cheapo Wal Mart white box) bird shot? If so, that is your problem. I had the same thing happen to me. The cheap Federal target loads work fine.
    ^^^ I had this exact same issue with my 870 Express Tactical. Everything else I have put through it works fine.

Chalk up another to the crappy ammo. Had the same problem - anything without a brass primer will get stuck 1-3 rounds / box. Went from the cheap win x's to the win aa's, and not a problem since. I have some boxes of rem and some estates i'm not looking forward to put through it because i'm betting they'll stick.

Ive had this issue with mine twice, i figured it was just dirty a really need to look into in some more and figure out whats going on. Problem is i just dont shoot it often...

Links