New Rifle???

New Rifle???

This is a discussion on New Rifle??? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, I have lots of different toys and for long range, But I came across a deal and I think I might jump on it. ...

Thread: New Rifle???

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

New Rifle???

Ok, I have lots of different toys and for long range, But I came across a deal and I think I might jump on it. I just came across a remington 700 sendero in 300win It doesn't have great glass on it (Tasco pronghorn 6-24) But the gun looks to have less than 50 rounds through it. I have never done much research on the 300win as I was always a 308 guy so I ask the knowledgable members here to persuade me to buy a 300 win. Is there any benifit to this gun or is it not worth it considering I have 308's.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

VIP Member
    For many years the 300 Win Mag dominated at 1000-yard matches. Nice long-range cartridge capable of taking any North American game and even many African species.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I would really like a gun that will get me from 0-1400 yards. With a proper base (maybe shims) and a MarkIV do you think this gun will be able to do that or will it fall short?? My 308 gets me to around the 1100 mark with reasonable accuracy.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I would really like a gun that will get me from 0-1400 yards. With a proper base (maybe shims) and a MarkIV do you think this gun will be able to do that or will it fall short?? My 308 gets me to around the 1100 mark with reasonable accuracy.
    It is a .308 with 3 to 400 more fps. Yes it will do what you want it to.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Sounds like I am getting a new toy then Now I gotta decide if I need to sell anything to buy it.

I think 300 will get you to 1,400 if you do your part.

I shoot 308 as often as I can. i don't own a 300, but a buddy brings his when we shoot the 308, 338 and 50. If price wasn't such a consideration, or you reload, I'd strongly suggest looking at the 338 Lapua. This round really shines at the 1,000 to 1,500 mark +. I don't know what your intended use is for this gun, that would help a lot. if it's for large game, I'd go for the 300. If it's for LONG range shooting, I'd go 338, though the 300 would be just fine.

Again, I don't own a 300, but I have heard (take that for what it's worth) that the 700 chambered for 300 has some issues and is not ideal. I really like the 308 cartridge and getting into these calibers, I really wanted something a step up. So, I looked at 300 along with the 338 and just fell in love with the 338. Not saying it's the right choice, just what I prefer for MY intended use which is precision rifle classes and long range paper punching basically. For hunting, I'm happy with the 308 for anything Texas has to offer. If I was going for bear, I may borrow my friend's 300 Win mag.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I do know 300 Win mag ammo is tolerable, where $6.00, give or take, for 338 Lapua is hard to swallow. Reloading gets you closer to $2.00 to $2.50 if I understand it correctly. Good luck!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I have a 338 lapua but it is a monster! It is fun but like you said between the cost of shells and the fact that mine weights 17.5lbs It is a range queen. Hunt and play with this new gun "if I buy it"

Well, then from the view of a guy that finds any excuse to buy a new gun, I think it's a must to bridge the gap between 308 and 338 Lapua! The 300 is a great round, but it is not the most fun to shoot as it is sharper recoiling than my 338 or 50, but I'm sure that has a lot to do with platform also. But, if it's for hunting and a few long range shots now and then, that's a non-issue.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

So if I buy it how much should I pay for it??? whats a good price? like I said the gun I am looking at has maybe 50 rounds through it and the scope is worth maybe $100 I figure. The guy is asking $799 for it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    So if I buy it how much should I pay for it??? whats a good price? like I said the gun I am looking at has maybe 50 rounds through it and the scope is worth maybe $100 I figure. The guy is asking $799 for it.
    $799 with a scope is a good price. I'd still offer $700 and see what happens. A new Sendero runs a little more than 1K.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

My Dad and I have busted many Elk over the years, sometimes at 400+ yards with the .300 win. mag. That's as far as we will go on big game. I guess thats our safe zone as far as range goes. I'm sure bigger game at longer ranges have been taken with the great cartridge and right bullet..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

yea I am thinking $700 too. I don't want the scope rings or bases. If I buy it I will have a 20 MOA nightforse base and a new scope on it in a heartbeat!

Sponsored Links