Help with cheap 22 rifle

This is a discussion on Help with cheap 22 rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been looking into 22 tactical rifles now for a while, and just can't justify spending $400+ on a rifle for tactical practice, to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with cheap 22 rifle

Help with cheap 22 rifle

I have been looking into 22 tactical rifles now for a while, and just can't justify spending $400+ on a rifle for tactical practice, to shoot 22lr. I was in WM today, and they had a Mossberg 702 plinkster for $117. Now $117 is something I can live with! But I don't know if that kind of gun can be drilled at tapped? And I don't know of any other way to fix a red dot to a gun besides using a picatinny rail?

My whole point is that I want to find a reliable, but cheap, 22 rifle that I can put a cheap red dot on. All I want to do is practice putting the dot on the target and pulling the trigger, and shorten my time in doing so. That will aid me when it comes time to move over to my RRA with Eotech sight, and be much cheaper for a lot more practice. I feel that you can have all the great equipment in the world, but if you don't practice then it really doesn't matter what kind of gun you have.

Any suggestions? Thanks
    Last edited by claybreaker0; February 10th, 2011 at 03:06 PM.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

2. Remove Ads

Get a used Ruger 10/22 or Remington 597. Aftermarket rail mounts exist that will mount your EOTech; in fact, I think the B-Square Weaver mount for the 10/22 will accommodate the Aimpoints and EOTechs.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thank you for the help, I don't actually want to mount my Eotech on the 22 bc its sighted in for my AR-15, but would like to put on a picatinny rail for a cheap magnifier.

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

I would check out dicks sporting goods. Last time I was in there they had a auto 22 for like $150? I believe it was a marlin. Nothing big and fancy but a auto .22 none the less. Also try froogle.com. Then type in what you want. ( ex. Remington .22) that will give you the cheapest prices online without shopping.

You should be able to pick up a Ruger 10/22 for under $200. There are nearly as many after-market parts available for this rifle as an AR. In fact you can make a 10/22 look pretty much like an AR if you were so inclined.

i bought my sister a Mossberg 702 Plinkster. I regret it. I should've spent more and got a Ruger 10/22. There is just no aftermarket support for the 702.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

The 10/22 really is king when it comes to semi-auto .22s. And you can modify it to do just about anything you can use a .22 for.

I have a Savage .22 auto that while a fine rifle, doesn't have nearly the aftermarket support the 10/22 does. Its worth the extra cash IMO.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    +1 on the 10/22. You can get a cheap red dot for $100 and you are in business. However, another alternative is a 22 conversion if you have an AR. It allows the use of your tactical rifle but cheap shooting. It is not as accurate as a dedicated 22 rifle however. Probably with mags below the cost of a cheap red dot and a 10/22.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

There are also Red Dots specifically built for tip off mounts. I bought mine at Bass Pro Shops for ~$50. Works well so far.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/736676011032.html

This is an add from impact guns .... $200 10/22

Thank you all for your help, but I'm still confused. Is the 10/22 drilled and tapped? Can it be? What about the Mossberg 702?

Or is the rail system on the 702 the 3/8" that has been referred to, and I just need to find some low height 30mm 3/8" rings to mount a red dot?

I know everyone is saying 10/22 but if I can get away with $150 for the mossberf with a red dot sight, that would be my preffered cheap option.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    The Walther G22 can be had for a little over $300 It is so super short in length due to its bullpup design, that it is a great tactical gun that is awesome to handle.

You can get one from Budsgunshop.com for only $325:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=215686664

Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    Thank you all for your help, but I'm still confused. Is the 10/22 drilled and tapped? Can it be? What about the Mossberg 702?

Or is the rail system on the 702 the 3/8" that has been referred to, and I just need to find some low height 30mm 3/8" rings to mount a red dot?

I know everyone is saying 10/22 but if I can get away with $150 for the mossberf with a red dot sight, that would be my preffered cheap option.
    Hi Claybreaker0,

The 10/22 comes drilled and tapped for a scope mount.
    The 702 has a 3.8" dovetail. IMHO would not bother drill/tap the 702 as the receiver alloy appears to be very soft.

I have a Mossberg 702 Plinkster that I paid $98 for about a year ago. It's been a good reliable rifle so far. Nothing fancy, just a basic fun-gun to shoot tin cans and the occasional tree-rat. The 10/22 is definitely better quality and much easier to modify.

Keep looking you might find a deal on a 702. Just before Christmas WW had them on sale for $89.99

Good luck whatever you decide.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Administrator
    Forget about the Mossberg, its junk. For the same price range the Marlin 795 is very similar, but has better factory support. Its still no Cadillac, but they seem to hold up a lot better. The 702 is a cheaper foreign built version of the Marlin. I've been looking for used 10/22's for months now, with not much luck. The older ones are commanding a premium price due to changes in the finish and trigger assemblies for Ruger. Even with that said, I agree with everyone else that the 10/22 is a much better choice.

All in all, for budget .22's, Marlin is hard to beat. If it were me, I'd probably go with a model 60 for about 50 bucks more.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Forget about the Mossberg, its junk.
    Why is that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links