Question about .308(7.62x51) military rifles

This is a discussion on Question about .308(7.62x51) military rifles within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a yen to put a .308(7.62x51) rifle in the safe in the future(6-9 months down the road). I am torn between the Springfield ...

Thread: Question about .308(7.62x51) military rifles

Question about .308(7.62x51) military rifles

I have a yen to put a .308(7.62x51) rifle in the safe in the future(6-9 months down the road). I am torn between the Springfield Armory M1A or the DSA FAL style rifles. Have been researching both and would like owners of both or either rifle to weigh in since I have no practical experience with either of them.. I am looking at reliability, durability and accuracy as the main considerations. Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Ads

I would take the FAL all day long over the M1A

azchevy, please tell me your reasons.

I own both and I think the Fal is a much more reliable and easier to work on platform and handles better ergonomically. Fal has a pistol grip, cheaper mags, and the DSA is sweet.

plus if I were to go m1A again i would get a ploy and put all usgi parts in it, should have done that to begin with.

Last year I was having the same debate, didn't pull the trigger on buying either. I think part of it is really ergonomics, so if you know anyone with either, try to get to shoot them. If not, go to a store and see which one feels better in your hands.

If you are looking for more of a general battle rifle, I'd go with the FAL, I think the M1A tends to have the edge in the precision accuracy department though, depending on which model you get.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I prefer the M1A and its handling characteristics to the FAL which seems comparatively clumsy to me, despite its pistol grip. I don't care for the charge handle's position.

I've owned M1s for many years and the M1A for nearly 20 years so am biased toward that basic configuration. I've only fired FALs on a few occasions but found them more awkward and ill-balanced.

It's probably a familiarity thing.

My M1A has been very dependable when used in high-power competition. Load development has been a breeze. It accepts a wide range of handloaded concoctions with reliability. Accuracy is first rate with prepared handloads generally grouping around 1 1/4-1 1/2 inches at 100 yards from a bench with issue sights.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Depends on what you want to use it for. Gonna target shoot and do rifle matches,competion,etc. M1A.. Battle rifle, zombie slayer,Home defense . gun fight training, etc. DSA FAL. I heard Larry Vickers once say that when it came to the difference in these two models, the M14 was the best rifle for competition and the FN-FAL was the better rifle for battle.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I own both and I think the Fal is a much more reliable and easier to work on platform and handles better ergonomically. Fal has a pistol grip, cheaper mags, and the DSA is sweet.

plus if I were to go m1A again i would get a ploy and put all usgi parts in it, should have done that to begin with.
    +1 the FAL would be my choice between these two. I perfer the DPMS 308 with the 20" heavy barrel though as thats what I have.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I have an M1A and have never fired a FAL. I will say then that the M1A is an excellent rifle that fits me well and I have no regrets in buying it. Though I have yet to try the long distance shooting with it, at the ranges I use it it is very accurate and it loves the Federal American Eagle OTM 168 gr loads. I think if you get an M1A you will not be disappointed. My only complaint is that I find it more difficult to strip for cleaning than my other rifles, but that is minor and it gets easier every time I have to do it :) As far as the FAL goes, I think they look awesome but I will not comment since I have no experience.

Links