New Scope!

This is a discussion on New Scope! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok I just got a new "sniper rifle" and I wanted to go with a different scope than what I have on my other long ...

Thread: New Scope!

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

New Scope!

Ok I just got a new "sniper rifle" and I wanted to go with a different scope than what I have on my other long range guns so I hope I didn't screw up. I bought a Millett 6-25 X 56MM with the 35MM tube and the Illuminated retical. I read a lot of really good things about them so I figured why not try it??? I have a Mark IV Leupold on another gun so I will be comparing them shortly. I figure the Mark IV I have set me back $1750 and this Millet only $500 so If its even close I will be happy! Any feedback would be great.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

2. Remove Ads

I have 2 Schmidt and Bender's and the new 1-8 on order, sold the Nightforce, have two Leupolds and two Trijicons. I also have 3 Nikons ranging from $350 to about $900 maybe? Obviously there's a difference, but depending on your need, it may not be worth the extra $1,000 +. I get things with the S&B's that I don't with the others, but for 95% of uses, it doesn't make any real difference. Image quality is better, the adjustments are better, locking turrets, MOA adjustment and the consistency of return, especially in the high numbers at very long ranges, etc. Say I need a 40 click adjustment. 40 clicks in reverse will be back at my zero. Will this be consistent on a cheaper scope?? Might be better just holding over on the cheaper ones. Not saying $500 is cheap, so I doubt these things would be a real problem.

Will you be using it hard? Will you be slamming it into the wall or hitting the ground hard, jarring the optic? Will you be making adjustments at long range, maybe using a ballistics calculator, for example? All these things come into play. Not saying a $150 optic won't take any abuse or won't be easy to adjust on the fly, but it may not hold up as well.

What rifle are you mounting it on? I think you made a fine choice!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Going on a Rem 700 sendero 300 win mag. I plan on shooting long range with it. I will sight it in at 100 and figure out the MOA to get me past a 1000. If I can get to a grand without buying an increased MOA base I will leave it at a 1000 yard gun if I fall short I will get a base and try and stretch it out as far as it will go. My 308 only made it to 960 yards with the Mark IV so I got the 20 MOA base and now can get a little past 1200. I don't abuse things It will live at the range and in the safe and maybe spend a day or to in the field when I feel the need to put on the guillie suit.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Then go for it! I think you'll be fine. Here in town, I don't have the ability to use this stuff to my advantage whenever I'd like. I either need to make plans for a friends 2,200 acres with 2,000 meter lanes about an hour from me, or go to the club or other 2 ranges which max at 100 since they removed the 500. 95% of my rifle shooting is RDS and drills, mostly under 100 yards. So, for me, even my RDS's work at our "long ranges"!

I think you'll be just fine. Post some pics and range report.

ETA - One thing I've seen mentioned a lot and I've noticed as well, especially when not in a range environment is that clear glass is better than more magnification, given the choice.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Links