Pistol Grip Shotgun For Home

This is a discussion on Pistol Grip Shotgun For Home within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thinking about getting one. What are the pros and cons of these? and if I get one what is a quality good one to get? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Grip Shotgun For Home

Thinking about getting one. What are the pros and cons of these? and if I get one what is a quality good one to get?

Con? have to find a gun club skeet range to practice, most ranges i've looked into do not allow them.

Pistol grip only or a pistol grip stock?
    Some people like them, I do not. I have too much time with a regular stock and some things are easier with a regular stock. JMOYMMV
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I would only use a pistol grip stock....unless you are on a breech team that is.

Pro - gun is shorter as a whole
    Con - less control, harder to aim.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I have a Mossberg 500 with a 20" barrel and it holds 8 2 3/4" 12 guage shells. The factory polymer stock was a bit large for my wife. She requested a pistol grip. (Woman after my own heart) The inexpensive plastic pistol grip we installed was usable but left huge bruises on our hands after very little range time. It was also quite bulky even for my medium sized hands. After a little research we settled on the Knoxx Breacher stock.

It absolutely rocks. We can shoot 00 buck loads all day and can even one hand it for fun. Great solution and is one of the most fun guns we own now. The stock is pricey (about a $100 a few years ago) but well worth it.

Another factor may be a sighting system. We have a weapon light mounted that gets us very much in the ballpark at household self defense distance. A laser or combo might be even better. The pistol grip is a trade off in that it gives up controllability for compactness. It's certainly doable but the full stock probably wins out.

Can't go wrong with the mossy or remington 870 either. Both are excellent choices.

I meant a shorty with no stock .

The disadvantages outweigh the benefits by a considerable margin.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Really, the benefits of a pistol grip only stock are few, and not very applicable to a HD shotgun, IMO. They look cool, and they reduce the overall length of the weapon. And they are handy on breaching shotguns because you don't need to aim since you are at muzzle contact distance, and it is less to snag on while on your back.

The cons, they don't help with recoil if anything they increase it, they make it harder to aim, and generally harder to control the shotgun. For a HD shotgun, shorter is generally better, but only if you can still control it and hit what you are aiming at consistently. A HD shotgun is best used when hunkering down in a position where you control the avenues of approach, and can control the area.

And you probably will find very few trap/skeet ranges that allow the use of a pistol grip only stock.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    The disadvantages outweigh the benefits by a considerable margin.
    Agreed, very much.
    Buckeye clearly details the why and how.

If I were a drug dealer or some such chump wanting to visually intimidate people AND also have need to enter and exit vehicles quickly, while also being completely unaware of what I know current regarding training & experience with use of a shotgun. Then yeah I'd be all over a pistol grip.
    If I were 'Me', no way. Give me a stock.

Or you could split the difference and go with the foreend off the Mossberg 'Chainsaw'.

Image source- http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1298876

Yes, seriously.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Don't take a P/G shotgun to a skeet range. It has only one use, and that isn't it.

That chainsaw is unbelievably tacky. I tried a friends mossberg 12 gauge with buckshot. Maybe i'm a wuss but that recoil was ridiculous. I'll forget this idea and stick with my 357 and 9 mm. Thanks all...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I can tuck the stock under my armpit to shorten my shotgun. I can't shoulder a pistol grip. I have no need or use for the pistol grip.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I love my Mossberg 500. I have a light mounted and the pattern hits right where the light points.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    A friend of mine that worked as a deputy for the local sheriffs office had a Remington 870 with a Pachmayr pistol grip and a 12" Bbl. He swore by it for home defense. Very compact and he always hit what he shot at. He never had any problem qualifying with it, however the pattern was wide, even at close range. Wicked looking though and very intimidating. I remember one time when he lined up about a dozen plastic milk jugs filled with water and fired from the hip. He hit every one using #4 buckshot. I guess they're OK if your wrist can take the pounding.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

RKM
    I prefer pistol grip stocks. I took this today :)

The Knoxx stock makes a 12 with OO buck kick more like a 20 guage. I love mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links