AR-15: For Home Defense? - Page 2

AR-15: For Home Defense?

This is a discussion on AR-15: For Home Defense? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't keep my AR at hand for HD stuff..... BUT, it's always empty chamber, 30 round mag loaded to capacity with 75gr TAP, just ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: AR-15: For Home Defense?

RKM
    I don't keep my AR at hand for HD stuff..... BUT, it's always empty chamber, 30 round mag loaded to capacity with 75gr TAP, just incase ;) I could have it ready to fire within 10-15 seconds.

I NEVER want to clear my house, let alone with a long gun. The shotgun, within 2 seconds, it's in my hands and ready to go, but exiting to bedroom with an 18.5" barrel long gun isn't going to be easy. My USP I can in my hands within seconds. Much easier to clear a house with. I have NO formal training clearing a building. I never want to do it, though, I'm familiar with the fatal funnel, making wide corners if you can, never round a corner Hollywood style, kind of keep the pistol tucked into your chest (think holding a slung AR). Is that the offical way? Maybe not but it seems like it'd be logical. Again, no formal training. I don't want to sound like an internet commando, haha. I always tell myself, the USP is for investigating an odd sound inside the house (won't go outside). The shotgun is for defending against a KNOWN threat. Truth is, I'll grab what I can or deem needed at the moment.

As far as self defense ammo in your AR, IMO, use the heaviest grain OTM rounds you can. I don't care if it's a 1:50 twist. HD, even with an AR will no be far enough for anything to keyhole and become unstable. If you're going to be shooting 200 yards (obviously not self defense ranges), yeah heavy grains may keyhole with an inappropriate barrel twist. Heck, at self defense ranges you'll have to aim 1.5" high anyway due to the sight height, unless you sight your AR at 7 yards ;)

Hornady TAP in 60gr or 75gr, and Federal TRU also has some nice options. The 64gr soft-point TRU seems to have very good ballistics. Even plain old 55gr FMJ round will do. You'd be close enough that the velocity will still be high enough to create a yaw effect. I'd still use the best you can. You're not limited to 55gr FMJ.

jonconsiglio - Nice pictures! Looks fun!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    Those are great points. Thank you!

How about ammo choice? 5.56 or .223?
    A really excellent self-defense load would the the Black Hills Blue Box load with the 60 gr Hornady VMAX bullet. It is an utterly devastating bullet that expands very well. If your rifle has a 1:9 twist rate in the barrel, then you really should not go with ammo using bullets over 64 gr in weight.

$33 for 50 at Cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...0#productChart

For me..It's the dog, the 870, and then the MP in 40. The dog will hold their attention long enough for me to settle the situation.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Self Defense in the home:

Option one me and my wife are both home: Call 911, wife has 12 ga stays in bed room covered looking down hall. I go to clear with Glock..
    Option Two I am home alone: Call 911 go to clear with Glock
    Option Three wife home alone: Call 911 get 12 ga from cover stay in bed room looking down hall from cover wait for police.

My house is set up with the master bed room being the far point from any door with a long straight hall way leading to it.

I do not feel that any long arm is the best choice for home defense unless you live in zombieland. The advantage of the handgun in allowing you to do simple tasks such as opening a door, talking to a 911 operator , or even carrying a child to safety while still be ready to engage a threat, gives it distinct advantages.

Of course this is my opinion, but Mas Ayoob has also suggested the same. Handgun= hand, not hands, and that is a philosophy and use we have seemed to forgotten about.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I do not feel that any long arm is the best choice for home defense unless you live in zombieland. The advantage of the handgun in allowing you to do simple tasks such as opening a door, talking to a 911 operator , or even carrying a child to safety while still be ready to engage a threat, gives it distinct advantages.

Of course this is my opinion, but Mas Ayoob has also suggested the same. Handgun= hand, not hands, and that is a philosophy and use we have seemed to forgotten about.
    Yes I know it is an opinion but it is one I share with you. My wife using a long gun for HD is based on the fact she is stationary and waiting for the threat to present to her; my choice to clear is my Glock 22 40 cal should I ever need too do this...

I believe it is foolish to clear a house in the dark. When police respond they arrive with numbers, canines, and other gear that enable them to be safe. Furthermore, a criminal will not wait around when they see blue lights coming. But, they may wait in the darkness in an ambush area and wait for you to enter the kill zone.

I am an LE, and if someone breaks into my house, and I do not have visual and a good shot, I am calling 911, secure my family, put our backs in a corner, armed ready, and on the phone with my brothers, or sisters in blue.

I completely concur... a long gun is more likely to get grabbed, less maneuverable, takes two hands, etc. To even do something as simple as turn on a light you have to reduce your readiness to react by removing at best your stabilizing hand and at worst your trigger hand from the weapon. A handgun is fast, easier to retain, leaves a hand free, etc. Shotgun/rifle are excellent "bunker" weapons where you wait for the threat to come to YOUR fatal funnel and be met with deadly force.

Just remember... you still have to AIM a shotgun... even with an 18" barrel your spread is still inches at 20 feet from your barrel... not feet at 20 inches from your barrel.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

double post
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

I believe it is foolish to clear a house in the dark. When police respond they arrive with numbers, canines, and other gear that enable them to be safe. Furthermore, a criminal will not wait around when they see blue lights coming. But, they may wait in the darkness in an ambush area and wait for you to enter the kill zone.

I am an LE, and if someone breaks into my house, and I do not have visual and a good shot, I am calling 911, secure my family, put our backs in a corner, armed ready, and on the phone with my brothers, or sisters in blue.
    Good call good post.

Sure... if it is obvious that you have an intruder... I have been sent forth from the bedroom simply due to an unusual noise many times. Some situations simply require an investigation before you KNOW you have a reason to dial 911 and get all the neighbors woken up with pretty lights in front of your house. Once I figure out there is someone in my house the immediate response would be to gather the kids and hunker down in the MBR with a long gun pointed at the door and the wife dialing 911. No way do I want to go confront an unknown number of intruders who may or may not be armed creeping around in my house.

Yeah, sometimes you can tell by the noise if it's something you can deal with. Sometimes my big German Shepherd will lay down against the back door very hard, and it jars the screen door.
    pittypat21 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It depends on the home being defended. Is it one of these FL homes where you can reach out and touch your neighbors house from your window, or do you need to cover more territory and the neighbors are an acre away?

In most "residential" neighborhoods, I feel the shotgun is much more practical. My lot is 125' x 80', and anything farther than that--where an AR would be more effective--probably isn't my concern or a direct threat to me. In distances from the front door to the back door, my pick is the shottie--hands down.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Thanks! These are what I usually come up with when taking a quick snap for posting…

Nikon D3

iPhone 4 in better light

My D3 - a buddy took these pics of me

HEY, I tried PM you but your quote is full.
    Got Sig? SP2022

If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?

I chuckle to myself alot about how alot assume that we all live in the standard neighborhood...but I understand that most all do.. My closest neighboor is a more than a quater mile down the road with thick Texas wild brush in between.

I live on 5acres and over look another 15. LEO response time is 15-20min if on this side of county.

Plus you have to travel down a curvey gravel road and up a gravel driveway thats about 200yards long to get to the house....could hear that gravel crunching long before one got close.

All that said. I still will not clear our multistory house. Unless I HAVE to, like, makeing sure the Mom-in-law that fell asleep in the recliner is ok or someother things like that, and will do with a handgun useing the good 'ol pie and slice (which can take a while). I won't go out and "clear" the property... the immediate property...though if I HAVE to I am taking a rifle.

After all that said.... I will prefer to stay safely upstairs with loved ones and in bunker mode until help arrives.

I mainly have to watch for wildlife in our garden etc.etc. more than anything else.

Edit: So really, it's up to you and your enviroment that will make the decision. Bunker down...long gun, reluctant clearing? Handgun.

Keep that rifle maintained and it will serve you well.
    Last edited by Frogbones; February 17th, 2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: forgot closing.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links