2 questions for the AR Gurus

This is a discussion on 2 questions for the AR Gurus within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Question 1, What is the technique you use to clean the area right in front of the chamber and behind the feed ramp? The area ...

Thread: 2 questions for the AR Gurus

VIP Member

Question 1,

What is the technique you use to clean the area right in front of the chamber and behind the feed ramp? The area where the bolt locks up.

Question 2,

How often do you remove the fore-end and clean the gas tube, gas block and other such parts?
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

I'm not a AR guru but I use a chamber brush to clean that part of the AR.

I've never removed the forend to clean under it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Chamber brush...but also a Q-tip to get it good. I just slightly bend the Q-tip and it gets that hard to reach area. I've also used an hex rench (the L shaped one) with a patch of cotton taped to it also.

Not often on the outside of the tube.... I run those long pipe cleaners down the inside of mine every 500rounds...but even then it's not that dirt. haven't really cleaned the block. Hoppes does it for me.

Not a guru, but I've had a lot of input from some serious professionals.

1. Don't knock yourself out getting the locking-lug area white-glove clean. You can get an AR chamber brush, but don't feel obligated to use it every time.

2. Just wipe the feed ramp clean with a rag, and maybe some Hoppe's No. 9 or your favorite cleaning concoction.

3. The gas tube and gas block don't need to be cleaned. (Sacrilege!) If you feel you must, get some of those expensive foot-long pipe cleaners and run dry ones up the gas tube from the breech. Don't muck around with any solvent - you'll risk getting a lump of dried solvent/gunk somewhere where you can't reach it. There is more to be lost by breaking some form of cleaning tool in the gas tube than there is to be gained by cleaning it.

My spiritual adviser on all things AR is Mr. Pat Rogers of EAG Tactical. He routinely runs test & evaluation guns thru his carbine courses and those guns only get cleaned when they stop running. "Filthy 14" was/is such an animal, a Bravo Company AR that went 26,450 rounds before it was cleaned in any manner, and only then because of 3 failures to extract. None of his guns has ever had the gas tube cleaned, and he has never seen an AR stop functioning due to a gas tube blockage. Gas blocks coming unglued have been seen, especially on home-builts and the hobby guns.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

About every 500 to 1,000 I'll wipe it down and lube. Very rarely do I use a bore brush on any of my 5.56 guns. I might use a chamber brush every 1,000 or so and make sure I wipe the lugs down. Also, don't worry about that build up at the tail of the bolt. It's there no matter what you do. Also, I really wouldn't suggest messing with the gas tube, leave it alone.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=61505
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

spray it with walmart break cleaner to wash out the excess oil and powder....

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Question 1,

What is the technique you use to clean the area right in front of the chamber and behind the feed ramp? The area where the bolt locks up.
    Get a chamber brush...and some Q-tips.....compressed air works too. It needs to be clean, not sanitary...it's ok if there is a trace of carbon...

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Question 2

How often do you remove the fore-end and clean the gas tube, gas block and other such parts?
    I leave it be....no reason to clean the gas tube or block--you're more likely to damage/break/bend something that doesn't need to be cleaned. Seriously....it will be OK.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I think the 50kpsi or so will clean the gas tube nicely.

Q tips and pipe cleaner

Sponsored Links