556 or 516

This is a discussion on 556 or 516 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I noticed the sig 516 is now more expensive than the sig 556. Why is that? Any thoughts?? ~Sigsi Paige...

Thread: 556 or 516

556 or 516

I noticed the sig 516 is now more expensive than the sig 556.
    Why is that? Any thoughts??

~Sigsi Paige

2. Remove Ads

Both are good questions;
    Why is it more expensive, and of the two which would one choose (as chambered in 5.56)?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Probably because no one wants a 556. Once people figure out that a 516 is just a heavier, more expensive AR with no real advantages, the price on the 516 will fall too.

Thanks Janq -

I'm eager to hear the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Both are good questions;
    Why is it more expensive, and of the two which would one choose (as chambered in 5.56)?

- Janq
    i have not fired the 516 although I have taken the 556 for a spin.
    Loved the balance and the steadiness of the weapon on point.

The only downside is weight but firing is a delight.
    ARs tend to dance around, the 556 is a piston powered tack driver!
    ~ Sigsi Paige

556 owner here, love the gun. I once took a carbine course where she went through 750 rounds of tula in the pouring rain without 1 jam. If that ain't s testament to its reliability I don't know what is.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    "With great firepower comes great responsibility."

I have a 556 SBR. Too heavy for an SBR, but it's been entirely reliable and a lot of fun.
    كافر AMERICAN INFIDEL كافر

What is your intended use for the rifle?

Personally, I wouldn't buy either. If I were to choose one, it would be the 516 since its more like an AR. Now, it's a piston AR, which doesn't really bring anything better to the table (in terms of piston ARs, not piston rifles. I have two SCARs and they're great. I have/had an LWRC PSD 8" and 16" as well as the LMT MRP. The only thing they offered over a DI AR was weight) except in very specific situations. I can't find many good opinions on the 556 except from those that buy it just to plink.

I've never heard any any highly regarded instructors recommend a Sig rifle. AARs I've read of advanced carbine classes (I haven't seen a Sig rifle at any classes I've attended or taught) where a Sig was used, there was almost always a series of failures when the rifle was pushed hard.

As to why it's more expensive... I just don't know enough about the rifles to say. Likely because the 516 is an AR and will likely sell more than the 556.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    What is your intended use for the rifle?

Personally, I wouldn't buy either. If I were to choose one, it would be the 516 since its more like an AR. Now, it's a piston AR, which doesn't really bring anything better to the table (in terms of piston ARs, not piston rifles. I have two SCARs and they're great. I have/had an LWRC PSD 8" and 16" as well as the LMT MRP. The only thing they offered over a DI AR was weight) except in very specific situations. I can't find many good opinions on the 556 except from those that buy it just to plink.

I've never heard any any highly regarded instructors recommend a Sig rifle. AARs I've read of advanced carbine classes (I haven't seen a Sig rifle at any classes I've attended or taught) where a Sig was used, there was almost always a series of failures when the rifle was pushed hard.

As to why it's more expensive... I just don't know enough about the rifles to say. Likely because the 516 is an AR and will likely sell more than the 556.
    All weapons have the primary purpose of self defense.
    ~ Sigsi Paige

Links